TS Chip caution!!!!

Marty

Reaction score
Well I installed a ts chip and cut the front of the black cover so it could be pulled quickly if needed for tuning updates like I have 100 times....

Well after using electrical tape to hold it in I went for a drive. Switched the program at a red light and the truck shut off. Mess around with it and get it fired back up. Drive it home and shut it off. The next morning.... No start. It fried the pcm. Put a new pcm in the truck and drive on.

Called ts performance. Their tech support said that not having the black cover smooshing the chip into the pcm will cause the chip to move around and will fry the pcm. Apparently electrical tape is not enough. So beware to all that modify their pcm boxes. This is the first time I have run into this but it is a several hundred dollar screwup.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Called ts performance. Their tech support said that not having the black cover smooshing the chip into the pcm will cause the chip to move around and will fry the pcm.

:wtf:

I think I know what you mean but you may have to draw me a picture. LOL

I've always used duct tape with no problems. :shrug: Hell, my 99 doesn't even have a box.

Was the chip loose when you put it on? All the chips i've ever installed have had a pretty firm grim on the pcm. I mainly use the tape to help keep dust out.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
2 in Black Gorilla Tape holding mine in, then crosshatched with 2 inch gorilla tape too.

Did you take too much off?

Quoted from Bill Cohren: PHP

Most standard card edge connectors are designed to accept .062" to .064" thick circuit boards. As it happens, OBS computer PC Boards ('94-'97) are .062" thick so there is little concern regarding connection problems. However, '99 and later computers are only .050" thick and can present a significant connection problem, especially if you remove .001" to .002" of the tinning from the edge connector

Last edited:

dietoremain

Reaction score
Yeah mine has a small cut to fit the knob and wire through and is taped in with electrical tape, taken it off road more than once(washboard bumpy nasty you name it roads, for a 2wd truck lol) no problems here.. not a single hiccup..

tholt34

Reaction score
Might ought to put some tape on mine. Been driving it for almost 2 years with the chip just pushed onto the pcm. Maybe i've been lucky.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's nuts... Mine had tape at one time, but since has been moved around enough that I don't even play with the tape anymore. Never had anything come loose.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's nuts... Mine had tape at one time, but since has been moved around enough that I don't even play with the tape anymore. Never had anything come loose.

Mine as well. Mine requires a fairly firm push to seat the chip into the pcm.. I do heed the warning though.

MINK

Reaction score
Thats sucks - guess I was lucky running mine with no tape for a year and a half.

Charles

Reaction score
I've never taped a single one.

I always just loop the switch cable back under the edge of the plastic PCM case and draw it up tight against the chip. But my 550 doesn't have anything holding the chip in for over a year now. No tape, no cable, nothing.

IME, the biggest variable is how much material you take off of the PCB in the PCM. People that sand the bejesus out of it always have chip problems because it's too loose of a fit. If you take juuuuust enough to get down to the "tinning" on the pins and STOP, the chip will fit so snugly that nothing is required.

If you blast them down to full copper everywhere, then there's really nothing that can make it sit still anymore.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
A loose chip will definitely fry a PCM. Make it snug and no issues. I make sure the chip is snug and then also throw some black duck tape around it just to make sure - but I've often driven without the tape while doing testing where I might be pulling the chip often - but the chip has to be snug. I've pulled computers and had to put down a thin layer of solder on the contacts before to repair the damage others have done while cleaning the contacts.... that sucks.

Marty

Reaction score
Hey, I've done every chip the same way. This is the first I have had this problem. just letting everyone know. It might cost you another chip AND a PCM.

Dave

Reaction score
Thats exactly why Ive always used duct tape when I install chips

SDstroker

Reaction score
The back of my plastic cover has a hole big enough to take the chip in and out. I have a layer of duck tape and then Velcro holding it in.
Sucks to hear Marty.

spongebob915

Reaction score
I'm still having that problem after you did work on my truck . It does the same thing. In the morning it seems to always start. But after driving it for a bit when I try starting it I notice the wait to start engine light goes out and the check engine light stays on . Most the time to fix it I switch to a different tune and switch back or turn the key on and off a few times. After your post I finally decided to pull out the pcm . I think I see my problem it was cleaned maybe too much down to the copper .. I think it was already like that. By changing my chip to the new one maybe it was enough to mess up the connection that it did have . I have also had my truck stall while trying down the road just from switching to a different tune. Not fun when your doing 55 on the highway.

20120228_091851.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.