Tuner for 6.4

bellyboat

Reaction score
In 5th with TQ locked 1/4 throttle my EGTs will hit 1000 and will climb if I let it. If I stomp on it and let it down shift my EGTs will drop.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
In 5th with TQ locked 1/4 throttle my EGTs will hit 1000 and will climb if I let it. If I stomp on it and let it down shift my EGTs will drop.

What gears are you running? How tall a tire is on your rig? And what weight are you pulling? And level ground or mountains that 1/4 throttle gets you to 1,000 and climbing? Understand that 1,000* is not a bad thing...

I take a lot of advice about towing from Heavy Haul, and if his rig gets to 1,350, he will get out of the throttle... But that is 29,000 lbs, f450, 4.88s with GV Overdrive, on the 5 mile long 7% grades in WY...

I hit some decent hills down here in NW FL, and I cruise control 65 MPH with 18K 4.30s at 2,200 rpms, and I rarely see upwards of 1,200*... But I regularly see over 1,000*...

And yes, lower engine RPMs and higher bosst will def get hot. So, downshifting, and getting the engine to spin faster, is going to let you run cooler. But I would rather find my cruise speed, and drive accordingly, rather than put her down quickly, and make her downshift... Kindas hard to do if you are towing 15 K on 3.55 gears and 37s... Means you are going ot have to haul balls to get your engine to the "happy place" of 2,000- 2,200 RPMs.

With all the extra fuel that these tuners release, it is not uncommon to see over 1,000*, and street driven drag trucks see over 1,600 for short periods of time, with little to no issue. I accelerate lightly, unloaded on the 450 and see over 800...

bellyboat

Reaction score
My gears are 3:55 and have the stock 18 tires. This is also running empty on flat ground.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
its making powa

LOL Basically, it is lugging so low in the RPM band, that it needs a ton of fuel to get the turbos spinning fast enough to make enough boost to accelerate. And with the TC locked, it has to fight even more resistance to get accelerating. And, that same ton of fuel, when compressed and ignited in the chambers, is hot as hell, and pushing extreme heat out the pipes, and through your turbos, all before your turbos can get spinning fast enough to push air through the turbo, through the hot side pipe, through the IC, though the IC pipe, and into the manifold, and into the combustion chamber.... long path it has to travel to catch up to the amount of fuel being dumped in there....

Whereas if you make it downshift, it is in a happier place, RPMwise, to spin freely, and has less resistance to fight against to accelerate, etc.....

in laymans terms.... LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.