Tuning Software

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Its a shame the way PHP is running now. Every now and then you hear of a few people customers having customer service issues with a shop. With PHP its more like only a few customers actually get customer service from them. It took me several weeks, and calling several times a day last summer to get Minotaur and my burner set-up. I had all the hardware and everything, just needed a license and a few files from them. They had no issues taking my money the day i called to order stuff though.

You're talking about last summer, and yes we had NUMEROUS issues with the ability to respond to customer's issues. We had just moved into a new shop, we lost 2 employees, and few other issues that had monopolized way to much of my time. Jay was doing the best that he could to keep things moving until everything stabilized.

Since January, we've been able to bring on another support tech who has been absolutely fantastic in handling customer concerns. Yes, phones get a little busy, especially in the morning, but overall customer service has dramatically improved since the first of the year and customers are much happier. Response time on issues is reduced and wait times on products and tunes is also dramatically reduced.

Have you tried these communication techniques?

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=890879&postcount=21

How does Bill Cohron react or explain these business practices to customers in person?

I have no problem discussing anything with anyone... On the phone or in person. What people don't seem to understand or appreciate is that when I spend time in a conversation with someone, I give them my full attention and listen to what they have to say and answer their questions, no matter how insignificant or mundane questions may seem. Unfortunately, this can monopolize large amounts of my time. I've had hour-long pone calls that realistically should have only taken 5-10 minutes. But, that's how it goes sometimes.

As for the comments about "getting on Jay's good side" in order to get assistance? That's silly. Jay, Shawn, or even I for that matter, do not play favorites between customers. We take calls as they come and answer messages in the order they are received. The only exception to that would be in dealing with disabled vehicles or damaged products. Those customers get top priority. For things that only I can handle (tuning, software issues, and the like), I do the best that I can to respond to everyone's needs in a timely fashion. However, the fact is that there are only so many hours in the day and it's not unusual to get tied up on a support issue for an hour or more, especially in cases of software problems. Yes, phones are busy (especially in the morning) and it may take some time to get through. But as of January 3, we're here Mon-Fri 9 to 5 (and often later) so there's no reason that someone can't reach us by phone at some point during the day.

In most cases, e-mail is still the easiest way to reach someone. Jay and Shawn both handle customer support e-mails and will usually provide a response in less than an hour.

I hope that clears that up.

Bashing is not the intention of my post and I respect Bill. He has forgotten more about tuning than most of us will ever know. So I will vent a little bit.

At first I thought it was a personal conflict with me on my order but now it appears that everyone but a few elite customers get the same treatment.

Ordered Minotaur June 2013. Received it 30 days later. Have been trying to get the rest of the templates that I was charged for ever since. Also ordered hardware for emulation and was charged for it but never received it.

OCD as huCorey said or control freak may be the correct term.

PHP has top notch products and great concepts. But I am growing tired of the games, this squeaky wheel needs greased!

Anyone that has a business has gotten behind and can agree the best practice is usually to stop taking new orders and take care of old business first. And if demand stays that high it is time to raise rates to regulate flow.

If you want to tune your own truck call Delta force tuning. Their customer support is so good it will make you cry. Thank God for Delta force so I can continue to tune.

My dream is to use Clint garrity's software

sent using tapatalk

Again, you're talking about an order placed in June, right in the middle of a state of mass confusion. Things have changed considerably since then.

As to the other concerns....

You ordered the emulator adapter for the Romulator on 01/31. I sent you an e-mail on 02/03 to inform you that I was waiting on the 30 pin connector for the J3 (Diagnostics) port for the ECM and it would be 2-3 weeks before they arrived (which incidentally, they are supposed to be here Tuesday according to the tracking information).

I also received your e-mail on 02/09 regarding the lack of certain definitions for Minotaur. I responded that morning informing you as to the reasoning for the reduced number of definitions and why we focus on specific calibration sets within certain groups. As I indicated, live tuning is the only place where the different calibrations/definitions would actually come into play and we would be able to provide the ones you'd requested. I've not heard anything back from you since then.

-----

I understand everyone's issue about how bad PHP's customer service has been, and I'm quite sure we've lost a number of customers over it. That can't be helped at this point, but we've been doing everything we can to resolves those issues. We have a good staff in place right now and are looking to bring on more help by early summer. We're also completely restructuring the website to make interaction and ordering a much less confusing process for everyone. Of course, all this takes time, but we're getting there.

Anyway, I hope y'all have a great weekend.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
My phone has a call log and I talk to a billion people a day without issue.

My bad... I didn't look at your phone number in the e-mail. I was going by the one I had put in QB, which was ummm.... shall we say.... WRONG! Ok, so I'm an ass. :doh:

Anyway, I'll get with you Monday and see what you need. I do need the PCM code from the sticker. Will also need to upgrade you to Minotaur if you haven't already done so. More flexibility and new features which would be useful to you, since you like to look at the maps backwards. :)

Take care.

Charles

Reaction score
I should add that it's not a case of some snot-nosed kid miffed because he didn't get his chip the next day. And I'm not some proffessional tuner that needs stuff yesterday or money is walking out the door or something. For me the timeliness while drawn out was not a big issue. It's my hobby, I have time to wait if need be.

And I don't even mind numerous contacts to accomplish the goal. Fine. Less than steller, but fine. I don't expect people to drop what they're doing and prioritize something for a hobbyist.

My only concern was that it wasn't actually going to happen ever. Until the above post I thought you had literally stopped doing this work and that I needed to move on.

My reason for this post is to reassure you my panties aren't in a bunch. I literally just need template files and nothing else. I don't and didn't expect outlandish service or anything like that. Now that you are aware that I exist and want templates I'm confident that I will be tuning again before long.

I'm just glad you're still doing this. Going back to sketchy f'ed up templates is something I was not looking forward to.

Last edited:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
The only emails that I have received are an order confirmation from Corey and responses from Jay

sent using tapatalk

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I'm just glad to see Charles is still alive!
I thought maybe he was abducted by the Amish and curding cheese sweat shop style in Ohio or something.

So what's this about swapping 7.3's? Is the "Built" power plant going into the....... f450 was it?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A hobbiest who knows more than most professionals

You have some white stuff all over your mouth that you need to wipe off.....

Lol... but what you said is true...

I'm just glad to see Charles is still alive!
I thought maybe he was abducted by the Amish and curding cheese sweat shop style in Ohio or something.

So what's this about swapping 7.3's? Is the "Built" power plant going into the....... f450 was it?

Same here... been along time since I have seen him post.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
He was getting too much flack over 7.3s and left. Or maybe he's busy.

Chatham036

Reaction score
This being said, send Jay a PM on the ORG and he typically gets back to everyone within a day or less. Chatham036 is his user.

Good morning gentlemen,

Just want to introduce myself to those that do not know me. I am Jay. I assist Bill with a lot of the customer service aspects to keep PHP moving forward. If any one is having issues getting in contact with any employee of PHP, please feel free to send me a PM.

Personally I think bill is OCD on wanting to control every aspect of his business and doesn't trust anyone else to do a lot of the everyday stuff. Lately, their service has been great on the ORG. Bill is still about impossible to get ahold of.

Bill is a man of many roles in his company. He is the I T guy that solves network issues, handles escalated technical assistance questions, places orders for parts needed to continue day to day activities, along with being the primary tune writer. These four are just the tip of the iceberg, but you get the hint.

You did hit the nail on the head in the accusation of Bill personally wanting to be the person to handle most activities in the day. This is due to his extremely high standard of accuracy that he demands. Not to justify that the way things are handled now is acceptable but this is to say that we are aware that he is overloaded. Last week we established a new grounds for our organizational structure to help lighten his load. Things should become more fluent for those needing to contact him directly in situations that I am not able to be of assistance.

Thanks!!!
Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

You should be able to change your settings to alert you via email when you receive a PM here.

Just thought I'd mention that. Alot of the guys here don't post anywhere but here.

Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

You should be able to change your settings to alert you via email when you receive a PM here.

Just thought I'd mention that. Alot of the guys here don't post anywhere but here.

Agreed. It would be beneficial to answer pms on more than one forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

neverkickn

Reaction score
Does anyone know where a person can purchase tuning software for a 7.3 Powerstroke equipped vehicle?

I have PHP Tune (now Minotaur) but since I haven't been able to buy a new Template/Resdef/RDT file to use on my new truck since first inquiring back in December, despite multiple emails, PM and phone calls I'm just going to ask if anyone knows how a person can Edit and load a binary file to a 7.3 computer these days. I used to be able to, but apparently support for my product has been discontinued.

I would just flat out pay for it all over again and buy "Minotaur" if I actually thought I could begin using it once more.

Anybody? How do you people tune these things now? Bill seems to be out of the game now.

Thanks.

Isn't tuning software on the list of things that a mech injected 7.3 gives not one *** about LOL

You been fighting that thing for a while, sounds like this is a perfect time for a change of direction.

Charles

Reaction score
Isn't tuning software on the list of things that a mech injected 7.3 gives not one *** about LOL

You been fighting that thing for a while, sounds like this is a perfect time for a change of direction.

Red truck is sitting behind my shop on stock tires and wheels with an open bag of rat poison in the passenger's side floorboard...

I now have an 02 crew cab longbed patiently awaiting the engine and trans from the red truck.

Although obviously that can't happen unless I can actually tune an 02 manual PCM... Trust me.... I would still run DAC on a DPC421 PCM if the wiring harness pinouts weren't a bit different on the 02. I don't want to alter the harness in case of emergency where a stock PCM might be needed, or I would just swap the offending wires. Regardless, I will at minimum need a template for a 00 auto so that the red truck can drive around on the engine and trans that comes out of the 02 without another PCS being required.

On Edit:

As requested, this is the PCM in the 02.

IMAG0012.jpg

My curiosity is gonna have to know why we needed that when we know it's an 02 auto. Besides, I won't have that for an 02 manual, seeing as I don't have one yet, nor a 00 auto for the same reason, but I will need both of those templates just the same.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Talked to Bill, have a pile of Emails with templates and instructions, so everything should be good to go.

Thanks.

Charles

Reaction score
Why'd you 86 the red truck?

Once you get to the forward facing carseats a reg cab is out. Unless you don't mind nobody ever being able to ride with you because those things don't exactly pop right in and out, plus if you had to pop it out where would you put it? In the bed? Mom would love that, especially with bad weather, lol.

Had to have another seat. Good reason to build another 100hp to offset the weight.

As a side note, anybody know why this 02 pcm goes dumb everytime I remove it? It seems to have a hot program flashed on the onboard eeprom, but when I remove and reinstall it the trans programming stays, but the engine tuning is gone. Only if I hook up the scanner does the engine tuning come back.

Anybody?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont have any thing to offer on the pcm woes but the carseat one is of my full appreciation. I have a ccsb that I bought new to tow a trailer with and with it and a lincoln ls and two babies on the way it was a godsend I bought a 4 door truck. Although it was usually just packed full of carhartts and work stuff. That signaled the retirement from work truck for it.

Word of advice, rethink that 6" lift. Mine had 6" and 37s when they were born and at 6'3 that was still a beyotch to get the kids in. The 64" wife doesnt fair much better. Its on 6 with 35s now and its perfect for me but with kids who want to be independent at 4 years of age, a stockish, leveled suspension would be much better.

And big congrats on the carseats! Best thing Ive ever accomplished.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Charles, does your VDH2 show actual PW? I have older definitions and all my VDHx files do not show correct pulse width. I have to open up a PMT1 file, make adjustments there, then copy/paste back over to VDH. Kind of a pain. Been meaning to get with Bill on that and some updates as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.