turbo joining torque

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just got my tool to set the turbos together. Alldata says to use the tool to install them and torque the nuts to 150 in lbs, but it says nothing about the torque of the two bolts.... Thee are brand new turbos so there was no measurement of the gap... So whats the torque spec?

White_monster

Reaction score
Those bolts only hold the holding bracket for install. After install you remove those bolts from the turbo's and keep them with the tool. They are removed for expansion and contraction during heat cycling.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
no ****...

This truck just had turbos put on and the prior shop ****ed them up. Upon taking them off, only one bolt was bolted in and other was laying on the pedestal, and this is the first 6.4 Ive messed with... I removed the turbos by my self and am putting them back in the same way, should I put the bolts in until they are set down and then remove them?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
no ****...

This truck just had turbos put on and the prior shop ****ed them up. Upon taking them off, only one bolt was bolted in and other was laying on the pedestal, and this is the first 6.4 Ive messed with... I removed the turbos by my self and am putting them back in the same way, should I put the bolts in until they are set down and then remove them?

Tighten the turbo hold down bolts first

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

White_monster

Reaction score
Yes. I put the turbos on with no bolts but that cause I work cab on. Those volts that hold the turbos together at the exhaust housing are for installation and removal of the turbos only. I hope that helps you.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I also am working cab on... are you saying to install them with bolts in, then tighten hold downs, then remove the bracket bolts?

I now know why the bottom two/six up pipe bolt were gone, because they were installed at the flange where they meet... People prior fubard this truck... but I guess it better, my first 6.4 I get real world experience on...

White_monster

Reaction score
I also am working cab on... are you saying to install them with bolts in, then tighten hold downs, then remove the bracket bolts?
Yep. That's how I've done it every time and I've done the turbo swap lots.
I now know why the bottom two/six up pipe bolt were gone, because they were installed at the flange where they meet... People prior fubard this truck... but I guess it better, my first 6.4 I get real world experience on...

Those bottom 2 bolts are a royal pain to get but they are needed. Loosen the catalyst pipe from the passenger egr pipe and it will make your life way easier. Use lots of penetrating oil and a 6pt wrench, 12pt will round the head off. Sounds like you got this figured out mostly thou. Props to you.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
LONG story, but the truck came in complaint of no power over 40 mph, me not knowing what a 6.4 should feel like, couldn't find a problem. just a boost performance code thrown around 40% load... so I got a mirror and noticed the bottom two were gone. This being a pipe truck, it has an over cab body so lifting cab is no option. I dropped the trans and replaced the gaskets that were now compromised, installing new bolts...

THEN I noticed the turbo actuator arm was BENT, WELDED, WORMCLAMPED. I replaced that actuator, but now I noticed a scrapping sound hen I commanded VGT closed... Replaced EBP, etc. Still the code... I finally got the go ahead to tear off the turbos, upon dissassembly, finding numerous misplaced bolts and nuts, I noticed the compressor was grinding on the vanes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Ab-SM3Z8A

I guess when they fubard the acuator back together it was too far and worn a groove, allowing ring to go too far, eating ALL the vanes...

photobucket-8836-1335326841240.jpg

Anyway, thats where Im at now... I have the Snap-On 10mm which has made the cab on turbo removal a dream... Im just pissed I didnt condemn these turbos earlier, but only being 3 months old, I had my doubts... Also pissed I removed the trans for those gasket, but now I know...

I've done nothing but 6.0 work for the past 3 years, but been to numerous 6.4 classes...

thanks guys!

dstryr

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the two turbos? Does anyone have the ford documentation on this?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yes. Its like a hard brillow pad type deal

That's not actually the gasket. The gasket is a ring that goes on the end of the inlet of the turbo. That mesh is more of a spacer anyway.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.