Turbo lag

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
My turbo is acting funny. While driving 105 miles today no load deleted and hs mm performance tune. Truck is hesitant to build boost until accelerating to 60-80 percent throttle. And when it does build boost where it normally runs 4-7 psi climbing hills it's boosting 10-15. It might sound like I'm being paranoid but the trucks throttle response is definitely off. Any insight would be great. I'm getting my ww2 put on in 8 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well. Since this is the Internet I'll take an educated guess. Turbo vanes are over compensating for a failing turbo or a plugged air filter. Wild guess.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
My turbo is acting funny. While driving 105 miles today no load deleted and hs mm performance tune. Truck is hesitant to build boost until accelerating to 60-80 percent throttle. And when it does build boost where it normally runs 4-7 psi climbing hills it's boosting 10-15. It might sound like I'm being paranoid but the trucks throttle response is definitely off. Any insight would be great. I'm getting my ww2 put on in 8 days.

Well. Since this is the Internet I'll take an educated guess. Turbo vanes are over compensating for a failing turbo or a plugged air filter. Wild guess.

my guess is the turbo is going by-by ! I have a few brand new ones for cheap if you end up needing one !! I wouldn't waste your time putting a WW on it until you diagnose the problem.

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Well I woke up early here before work the truck is a job 1 2011. The air intake is an afe stage 2 sealed with a pro guard 7 oiled filter appears to be relatively clean. As for oil not sure it affects the situation at all just changed from 10w30 amsoil oem spec to schaeffers 9000 5w40. And the reason I'm on here asking is because I am not a diesel technician and didn't want to take the truck to ford and pay an arm and a leg for them to tell me it's not throwing any codes. As for the turbo going bad how many miles do I have until it craps the bed and is there anything I should look for?

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
No oil in the exhaust checked the dip stick super hard to read but I think it's ok

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
I'm about to trade this truck in its been nothing but problems.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Is your turbo making any loud howling or other funny noises that you have not heard before.

My 11 went through 2 turbos. First one was around 73000 ish miles then the replacement died in less than 2,000 miles. That one had to have been a major defective one, because the one in there now is working fine.

Based on my experience I don't think there is a specific amount of miles to determine if your turbo is going.

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Well I feel like a jackass the intake I have has a port in the housing which allows air into the sealed chamber. The chamber was blocked by a relatively large piece of plastic. Truck is back to normal wicked wheel getting put on tomorrow. Talked to the owner of diesel site and his exact words. Knock on wood we have had no reports of a truck running our wheel have a turbo go bad.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the simple things. In the mechanical industry it's always best to start with the KISS method.