Turbo Options/After 369sxe

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
Whats up guys, I am new here although I have been reading the forums for years. Finally decided to not he lazy and actually register.
Anyways im looking for a little advice from any of the guys how have experience with similar setups to me. I editted my sig so i think I have most of my mods listed. Right now i have ff 250/100s and a s369sxe with jellibuilt and 1023 tunes on my hydra. Love the way the truck runs has plenty of power but have a feeling the turbo is on its way out do to some strange noises ive been hearing. Thinking if the turbo blows maybe a 372sxe or should i just make the jump and upgrade to 300/200s and a s478. Do yall think it would be a noticeable improvement worth the upgrade/time/money. Also wondering about daily driving as far as smoke, with new tunes will smoke be about the same, will idle get a little more rough?
Thanks for any input guys.

MossBack

Reaction score
I LOVE LOVE the S468 and im only running 180/80's... I also have jelibuilt tunes and I went with this turbo because i knew i wanted to go 300/200 down the road.

Zeb

Reaction score
The S372 is primarily a gas engine turbo. High cfm rating, but not as good at making pressure. 366, 369, and 372 all share the same exducer on the compressor, but (obviously) different inducers.
I second the vote for a good S468. It will work well with your 250/100’s and really well with 300/200’s.
In my experience there is little difference in spoolup between a 369 and a 468.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
So you think thay the 369 would actually work well with the 300/200s? I was running 1023's Ludacris tune and I was surprised it spooled to about 50lbs, most I normally seen was around 45lbs.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
I do have two other concerns tho. I only have an adrenaline hpop at the moment but it will keep around 3000psi wot so its ok with the 100% nozzles but if i go to the 300/200s yall think i need more oil or just see what readings i get first? Dont know if yall have seen these but Full force has these new oil log inserts that are just literally tubes that slide into the oil log and restrict volume to increase pressure. They claim using them you can run 200 percent nozzle with an adrenaline but i dont think its proven yet.

Last thing, if i do the s468 and 300/200s do yall think my bottom end is built well enough to handle that? Brand new motor about 25k on it, carillo rods, comp springs, sb pushrods and of course main and head studs.

Thanks for the input!

Zeb

Reaction score
I do have two other concerns tho. I only have an adrenaline hpop at the moment but it will keep around 3000psi wot so its ok with the 100% nozzles but if i go to the 300/200s yall think i need more oil or just see what readings i get first? Dont know if yall have seen these but Full force has these new oil log inserts that are just literally tubes that slide into the oil log and restrict volume to increase pressure. They claim using them you can run 200 percent nozzle with an adrenaline but i dont think its proven yet.

Last thing, if i do the s468 and 300/200s do yall think my bottom end is built well enough to handle that? Brand new motor about 25k on it, carillo rods, comp springs, sb pushrods and of course main and head studs.

Thanks for the input!

With 300/200’s you’re most likely going to want to go to a dual hpop setup for maximum performance. That being said, you can run 300/200’s with an Adrenaline, just will need to keep pw pulled back a bit.

Your bottom end sound like it is built well enough to handle 300/200’s and an S468.

Any girdle or block fill? If not, that would be the limiting step to going beyond 300/200’s and a 468.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
No man, no girdle or block fill. I didnt know as much as I know now when I was building this motor. I wish I would of done a girdle and some better pistons but at least everythings new I guess.

One of the guys at swamps was telling me as far as driveability he wouldnt go any further then my inj and turbo combo im running now. He was saying the 300/200s gonna be a lot smokier and probably be annoying as far as daily driving goes. But then on the other hand Ive had guys tell me they run 300/200s or 400/200s and daily drive with them and they are fine.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
All in the tuning. If I’m pulling a trailer and put truck in the tow/haul setting, it smokes too much for me. Also depends on quick ur turbo spools.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
Sweet set up you got in your sig man. Think next summer after my garage is built im going to pull the motor again and do a few more things I should of done the first time. Where would I go about getting the partial block fill, doubt theres anyone near me so assuming id have to send my motor out.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Block fill has to be done with a bare block. Top and bottom torqued to mimic block strain. The hardblock fill is filled one side at a time. To keep the fill level. It cures then do the other side.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
Yea that makes sense. So without a teardown im assuming to late to add the girdle now as well?

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
Fwiw, there's a thread already on these "performance oil galley logs". Might want to take a read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Petro

Reaction score
As was said several times, go with a 468. You will love that charger, spools fantastic and supports great power. I installed a few of them and they are a blast.

Zeb

Reaction score
There’s not a big power difference between an S369 and a small turbine (74/83) S467.7, but the 467.7 is much more robust. Bigger shaft, bigger bearings, etc.

I was party to an engine dyno session where a box SXE369/80/.91, an FMW467.7/83/.90, and a custom 468/83/.90 were all run on an engine dyno on the same day.
The 369 spooled the quickest and made the least power, the FMW 467.7 spooled about 100rpm slower than the 369 and made 15 more hp, the custom 468 spooled about 200rpm slower than the 369 and make 30 hp more than the 369.

The 369 and custom 468 were both put on a truck (CR Cummins) and driven quite a bit. The guy elected to keep the 468 because it made power in a much more linear fashion, and carried the power higher into the rpm range. Exactly what we saw on the engine dyno.

One other thing I like is, if you decide to build a custom 468 it is relatively easy to build it on the mid frame S400 chassis (80/87 turbine) and that is an excellent turbine.

Bobbyd333

Reaction score
Awesome info man thanks. Looks like the 468 going to be the choice when this turbo goes. Im going to take all my piping off this weekend and take the compressor cover off and see if theres any shaft play or any indication of why Im hearing this strange noise, maybe the compressor wheel hitting the cover occasionally I dont know. Dont want to take the chance of blowing it up ruining my intercooler or whatever else could happen. I could send my 369 out to get rebuilt but if there is something wrong this will give me the excuse to upgrade. Will probably end up running it on the 250/100s for a while and see how i like it.
If my 369 will push around 45-50 lbs do you think the 468 will make any more boost with the 250/100s or should it be about the same?

Latest posts

Members online