Turbo upgrade questions

svilla

Reaction score
How big of a pain in the ass would it be to swap out a T3 exhaust for a T4. The turbo is a Industrial injection 62/65/70.

What are some proven compressor wheels I could install on this turbo? I have seen a couple, but dont know if they would be worth the price to swap. I would really like to swap for the FMW wheel from bog warrner.

I am really trying to see what all I could upgrade, or would I just be better off buying a new turbo. Thanks in advance guys.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
buy a new 62/68/83 FMW, technology is lightyears beyond that dinosaur.

Matt at CED can hook you up

svilla

Reaction score
LoL. It is a really good turbo for what it is, an internally gated 62/70. The technology difference between this turbo and say the FMW is basically wheel design. I know there is a little more to it, but not much.

I have a set of Ups on order from Matt. The turbo I really want is a custom unit from Turbonetics, but I have to save up for it.

I was hoping I could just change out the exhaust housing to a T4 so I don't have to run t3 to t4 adapter, and maybe run a different compressor wheel.

I didn't know if anyone here had any experience with compressor wheel swaps with the non-vgt turbos. I know that stainless diesel has a wheel upgrade and Forced inductions has the ET-R wheels. I have never heard of anyone on the forums running them though.

I would also like to know if I could run the FMW wheel from bog warrner. Would it be a drop in wheel or would I need a new cover. No one really talks about modding the non-vgts, but for vgt you have batmo wheels, wicked wheels, ect.

I feel I have a decent grasp on turbo operation, and theory. I just wanted to know if anyone is diving into non-vgts kind of like Adrian from MTW. And what works as far as compressor wheel design, and part interchangeability.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wouldn't even waste the time, that is just my opinion. BW has already invested the money to provide flow charts and maps for the 62 fmw turbo charger itself. Thats something no one else can really provide for you, besides a sales pitch that its light billet, pretty looking, and makes cool noise. Plus the 62mm fmw already has a 360* thrust bearing, and a higher flowing 68mm turbine wheel. It would be a decent jump in drivability and power over your current charger. You already have the pipes on order, plus there is no t4 housing that BW offers that fits the 64mm turbine since it was phased out. The cost to modifying your current charger with wheels, balancing, rebuild and thrust upgrade and new housing you're at the cost of that brand new 62mm fmw charger, if not more. Just food for thought, hopefully that helps you.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Sorry for the derail but how much power can the 62/68/83 fmw turbo make? I'm guessing it probally spools pretty quickly

Last edited:

svilla

Reaction score
I wouldn't even waste the time, that is just my opinion. BW has already invested the money to provide flow charts and maps for the 62 fmw turbo charger itself. Thats something no one else can really provide for you, besides a sales pitch that its light billet, pretty looking, and makes cool noise. Plus the 62mm fmw already has a 360* thrust bearing, and a higher flowing 68mm turbine wheel. It would be a decent jump in drivability and power over your current charger. You already have the pipes on order, plus there is no t4 housing that BW offers that fits the 64mm turbine since it was phased out. The cost to modifying your current charger with wheels, balancing, rebuild and thrust upgrade and new housing you're at the cost of that brand new 62mm fmw charger, if not more. Just food for thought, hopefully that helps you.

Yes, actually that does help me. Thank you. That 62 FMW sounds like a sweet little turbo. I am going to have a Turbonetics GT-K 700 built for me. I will have them change out the turbine wheel and install a .84 divided T4.

I have my current turbo mated to a BD diverter valve. Honestly this set up flat out performs. I have the valve plumbed into my intake elbow to actuate the valve. This allows the valve to start opening around 12 PSI, and it makes it really easy to ops check the valve with shop air.

I am swapping this out for divided up pipes because I have got to know if they really are better than the valve set up, I want to free up some space, and Matt at CED builds some cool stuff.

I know this sounds a little crazy. Taking a great running proven set up, and swapping it out for a different set up. Well if nothing else at least we will know for sure if divided ups perform better than a diverter valve. Everything else being equal. :ford:

Last edited:

kdogg85

Reaction score
Don't know if this is still true or not and haven't seen it in person, but are diverted Alvie's still bad for gumming up? That used to be a problem. I had one, but took it out for curiosity, never went back in.

svilla

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with mine sticking. But from my research I figured it would be good to have a way to ops check the valve just in case.

Latest posts

Members online