Turbo upgrade

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Ford supposedly "hyper balanced" the turbos from 2011 model year, in attempt to keep them alive longer.

But that is about all that I know of.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Wasn't it the 11s that had turbo problems? From what I understand, those failures were reduced significantly in later model years.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Ford supposedly "hyper balanced" the turbos from 2011 model year, in attempt to keep them alive longer.

But that is about all that I know of.

I'm really not sure what "hyper balancing" is. But they can in a mass market take a shaft with turbine wheel and balance it within grams. Standard would be in per second. And in between. Then balance the comp wheel after a dull torque then balance the rotating assembly. I however do NOT see the turbo mass manufacturer taking 25 minutes per turbo to do that.... just sayin... speculating actually.... but if they do then my hat is off to them!

I can only imagine the assembly line looks like the guy at the tire shop doing a half baked balance job..

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what "hyper balancing" is. But they can in a mass market take a shaft with turbine wheel and balance it within grams. Standard would be in per second. And in between. Then balance the comp wheel after a dull torque then balance the rotating assembly. I however do NOT see the turbo mass manufacturer taking 25 minutes per turbo to do that.... just sayin... speculating actually.... but if they do then my hat is off to them!

I can only imagine the assembly line looks like the guy at the tire shop doing a half baked balance job..

Hyper, super balance, extra care in the balancing dept. What ever you'd like to call it. That is what I was told when I lost my first one.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Hyper, super balance, extra care in the balancing dept. What ever you'd like to call it. That is what I was told when I lost my first one.

I gotcha. I know dealerships and the cool lingo they like to impose to make people have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Balancing is a fine art. And an improperly calibrated machine is common in the industry unfortunately. There are only a FEW shops across the US I would trust with our $250,000 turbos we run and that discludes the actual manufacturer of our turbos. "ABB" THERE horrible at reworking a turbo... ironically the competition does a much better job with better equipment with more skilled technicians.

So I'm conclusion. The balance is as only good as the calibration on the machine. Just like when I tune our 8000hp engines... that tune is only as good as the calibration on the emissions analyzer used for tuning. And it is a must that a calibration take place at time of tune. Actually I'm so anal about it I get the tune close and calibrate to get my final adjustments in place to ensure all sensors are dead on before I conclude the tune.

The same is applied to a highly sophisticated balance. That's why most balance in inches per second. Or convert to mm per second. To be extremely accurate to balance in grams one needs a pretty fresh calibration on the balance machine.

The reason I tell all this is because lately I have seen the word "balanced" used liberally here lately.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
My 11 has over 100k & 6500hrs on it. Been tuned since 2011, has ran the higher boost h&s tune and the lower boost tune. Now running a GearHead tune. Never taken it off the high setting even while pulling 14k.

I must have a good turbo. Or its like any product that is mass produced. Your going to have your share of failures.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
My 11 has over 100k & 6500hrs on it. Been tuned since 2011, has ran the higher boost h&s tune and the lower boost tune. Now running a GearHead tune. Never taken it off the high setting even while pulling 14k.

I must have a good turbo. Or its like any product that is mass produced. Your going to have your share of failures.

It sure sounds like you got a good turbo.

I thought I had a good one till the first one went. Then when the replacement failed in 1500ish miles of being installed, ( that one had to have been JUNK from the start, or filled with dirt or something.)

Jesse_01

Reaction score
It sure sounds like you got a good turbo.

I thought I had a good one till the first one went. Then when the replacement failed in 1500ish miles of being installed, ( that one had to have been JUNK from the start, or filled with dirt or something.)
Part of me wants mine to fail so I can get a new single. lol As long as it fails in town and not on a road trip.
If turbo blew up on a road trip on rd trip with horse trailer, I wouldn't be a happy camper.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Part of me wants mine to fail so I can get a new single. lol As long as it fails in town and not on a road trip.
If turbo blew up on a road trip on rd trip with horse trailer, I wouldn't be a happy camper.

No cause that would suck. My first one never quit completely just had a real load howl. The second one went it went hard, lost all power, smoke, oil out the tail pipe, luckily that one was close to the shop.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
No cause that would suck. My first one never quit completely just had a real load howl. The second one went it went hard, lost all power, smoke, oil out the tail pipe, luckily that one was close to the shop.
Actually I remember I had to drive 1 of our f550 cab & chassis 80 miles with a blown turbo. haha it smoked pretty hard lol.

that was with the first h&s tune when they had them boosted to 34psi.

colecoop56

Reaction score
I heard off the line the cab and chassis turbo are quicker but theyes lose power at 2500 rpm because of the smaller turbo wheel.

german154

Reaction score

What type of boost levels are u seeing out of yours? Guy i work with feels his should be making more boost than it is. He is only making at max 24psi at WOT

Sent while I should be doing something productive