Turbos rebuild

cccj

Reaction score
After unknown history with this truck I have been chasing problems everywhere I look. I replaced head gaskets, studs, valve train and now I'm getting into the turbos. I noticed the wheel is damaged on the VGT, so I bought a batmo and rebuild kit. Now I'm working on getting it done. I split them apart and the atmo pulled apart easily for rebuild. The variable vane one is giving me issues with getting it apart. Any tips?

Are there any write-ups on disassembly of these variable vane turbos?

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

White_monster

Reaction score
The vgt has a dowel in it. It gets pretty rusty so it doesn't split nicely. It will come apart but most likely you'll need a hammer and a chisel. Take your time and work around the turbo and it'll come.

groove

Reaction score
keep us posted on how this goes. I would like to attempt this myself, just want to be sure I can get it back together

cccj

Reaction score
Both turbos went very easily. I was surprised at how easy it was. Once you pull the nut off the cold side wheel, pull the snap ring and slide the shaft out. Every piece you need to replace is right there. The new bushings slide on easy and the hardest put is installing new small compression rings, which wasn't bad at all.

After cleaning the housings, slide the shaft back in, push down with your fingers and install new snap ring. Torque small end nuts to 125 lb/in for high press and 140 lb/in for low press.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.