Twin compound setup

kdogg85

Reaction score
Dual oil, around the 400cc mark on injectors, get some porting done on the heads. That's a good bit of weight for 4 cylinders to get spinning, but holy shat that would be awesome. You'll create a black market for 6.4 chargers.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
we have toyed around with a similar idea, turbo sizing will obviously be the biggest factor. You will also need to remember that your going to have half the cylinders to spool these chargers. Realistically you will have 3 liters and 4 cylinders spooling a turbo that is ment for 8 cylinders. Not saying its not possible, like I said we have been messing around with something pretty similar.

windrunner408

Reaction score
we have toyed around with a similar idea, turbo sizing will obviously be the biggest factor. You will also need to remember that your going to have half the cylinders to spool these chargers. Realistically you will have 3 liters and 4 cylinders spooling a turbo that is ment for 8 cylinders. Not saying its not possible, like I said we have been messing around with something pretty similar.

^^^This right here. I honestly don't see the point in doing twin anything other than maybe twin LP turbos. Turbo sizing already seems to be very critical on these motors, so much so that I don't believe there are any gains to be had (other than the cool factor for badassness) by using twin HP turbos (regardless if you use one or two LP turbos). Again, JMO here. Your 6.4 turbo setup seems really sweet. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

extreme3807

Reaction score
I ran 59 and 72's and it spooled close to a stock 6.4. I could have definitely upped the 72's to 75's but nothing more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Again seeing the way these spool up on all 8 cylinders, I would be fine with halving the spool up to gain more at the top end.

REMEMBER!!! I am not abandoning my current setup, I plan to continue to move forward with it. Aiming to get the truck back together and down to Innovative's Dyno before my little guy is born, then bigger sticks and repeat.

This will be another way to show what I think could be done with a readily available inexpensive turbo. As was my original intent with my current setup, this is taking it to a competitive level and going all out.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I vote to hang one large single atmosphere out in front of the stock 6.4 chargers. Something like an S488 or larger

shmoozer

Reaction score
I think they're talking about using the 6.4 compounds and hanging a 478 out in front to make a set of trips

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Isn't that one of the first 6.4's to make 1000+ on fuel only? None the less on 38's and a pretty smoke free pull.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes I think it was. Jon was instigated to build it after Dustin started that thread. Dustin has done the same thing to. Just not sure on his power level. If Jon could have gotten more fuel he would have laid down some REALLY good numbers.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So a tripple compound is making 1000+ while a quad is making 1200+ I am not sure why some are suggesting a tipple setup then? Im not creating an argument per say, but a reasoning for which direction to go, IF I proceed with this project.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You have to take into account one small detail. Jon ran out of fuel. Plain and simple. I have no dought in my mind he could have done 1200 plus with the fuel. And toss in porting....... A thing the 6.4s lack in big time..

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Yes I think it was. Jon was instigated to build it after Dustin started that thread. Dustin has done the same thing to. Just not sure on his power level. If Jon could have gotten more fuel he would have laid down some REALLY good numbers.

I read in that thread that he had the II pump so I'm sure that's why he was running out of fuel. Is there room with his setup to have dual fuelers though?

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a TDI, wishing it was a Powerstroke

Latest posts

Members online