Up pipe help?

RBernardi

Reaction score
While putting everything together after replacing the lift pump, the bolt closest to the the turbo on the top of the up pipe would not thread in.
I took off the turbo again got a 8x1.25 tap, and chased the threads.
Started bolting it altogether, and of course the same bolt stripped out.
What do I do helicoil it?
I'm afraid if I go larger the head of the new bolt would hit the up pipe. What do you think?
If it sounds confusing hopefully I can clear it up and get some help
Thank you in advance

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
Is it one of the bolts that sticks all the way thru the collector? Could you thread the flange and put a bolt thru the other side?

Or just drill the collector and flange to the next size SAE which shouldnt be too much bigger. A normal bolt without a washer might fit in there without hitting the collector.
Another option would be going to the hardware store, i believe you can get bolts with small heads sort of like an allen bolt. I wouldnt helicoil the collector, that area sees a lot of heat.

RBernardi

Reaction score
Is it one of the bolts that sticks all the way thru the collector? Could you thread the flange and put a bolt thru the other side?

Or just drill the collector and flange to the next size SAE which shouldnt be too much bigger. A normal bolt without a washer might fit in there without hitting the collector.
Another option would be going to the hardware store, i believe you can get bolts with small heads sort of like an allen bolt. I wouldnt helicoil the collector, that area sees a lot of heat.

its not the side where i could put a nut on the back side. I think I'm going to try to tap it with the next size up, and use an allen head bolt like you said. i know they have a smaller head on them than a normal bolt.

Latest posts

Members online