uppipe repair

fordman2121

Reaction score
My truck and dads trucks both have leaking up pipes and was thinking of just welding in new bellows instead of paying big money for new ones. Has anybody else done this?

fordman2121

Reaction score
Ok Ive got a coupe of options for this. One Ive got an old 6.0 uppipe thats got a bellow, both pipes are 2" so I could cut and weld that one into my leaking one or two and this is a question also, Just weld in a peace of pipe and not have a bellow. The old 7.3s didnt have bellows and they ddnt have a big problem with cracking. Opinions?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
you realize what your in for labor wise correct???

have you ever done this kind of work before?

i highly suggest you should have a mock engine that,you can bolt the uppipes to,so when you tack weld everything,it doesnt move around.

it may just be worth the extra money,versus the aggrovation you prolly would have,without the right equipment.

fordman2121

Reaction score
I am a mechanic and work on ps all the time and my cab is off right now doing studs. I can hold my own on welding and fabing, not the best but pretty good. And whats so "wrong" about no bellows? I want something that will hold for now untill I need to switch. Im wanting to put on steed speeds in the future jst cant right now, so why spend the money when Im going to take it out in the future.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I am a mechanic and work on ps all the time and my cab is off right now doing studs. I can hold my own on welding and fabing, not the best but pretty good. And whats so "wrong" about no bellows? I want something that will hold for now untill I need to switch. Im wanting to put on steed speeds in the future jst cant right now, so why spend the money when Im going to take it out in the future.

on a street truck,bellows allow the system to expand and contract. if you dont have bellows,the pipes could crack.

a competition truck is a different story.

Smokyred

Reaction score

Do you work on 7.3's all the time? If you do, I'm sure you've figured out they run crush donuts on the up pipes, and that's why they don't have cracking issues. Remove the crush donuts and 7.3's push the manifolds away from the heads.

Dave

fordman2121

Reaction score
Do you work on 7.3's all the time? If you do, I'm sure you've figured out they run crush donuts on the up pipes, and that's why they don't have cracking issues. Remove the crush donuts and 7.3's push the manifolds away from the heads.

Dave

Guess I never thought of those being able to give enough but I guess they can.

Latest posts

Members online