Vacuum Pump Service Kit Idea - Survey

Wes Lewis

Reaction score
My thought is what about running oil lines to and from the pump, basically like a turbo. Wouldnt really need to be a big line, just somethin to get oil flowing through. Haven't looked into the practicality of it at all or how it would work. Just a thought

DZL JIM

Reaction score
To build a better pump, it would have to be significantly different enough not to infringe on the OEM patent. Otherwise, it would be asking for legal troubles... A new pump would be a risky venture for a limited and shrinking market to begin with. Been there done that with our Torque Converters. That was known going in, but had the demand to make better designs worth it. :)
My perspective will always be from an entrepreneur's when the topic is about making a product. It will always be different than a regular members on most topics. Regular members can post care free, while sponsors can't always. One example: Some sponsors can't risk their entire livelihood's and businesses by posting or providing copyrighted or privileged material, information or specifications some members and some potential customers will ask for.

It sucks starting from scratch. What about modifying a new pump and "fix" what's wrong with them? Nothing against patents doing that!

Reaction score
It sucks starting from scratch. What about modifying a new pump and "fix" what's wrong with them? Nothing against patents doing that!

That's what I was thinking. Start with a new pump and "fix" the problem. .

If it comes down to it, you could go to an electric pump. If the stock SD pump won't keep up with the vacuum brakes, there are plenty of aftermarket electric vacuum pumps out there by SSBC, Summit, etc, like we use on gassers that won't build vaccum, that are supposed to be good for street use and capable of supplying vacuum brake boosters. The aftermarket pumps are a bit more money, but if they work and are reliable, it would be worth it.

Last edited:

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Another thing you could do is find a way to modify the pump then patent the modification part and sell it to vacuum pump companies.

Racer X

Reaction score

If it comes down to it, you could go to an electric pump. If the stock SD pump won't keep up with the vacuum brakes, there are plenty of aftermarket electric vacuum pumps out there by SSBC, Summit, etc, like we use on gassers that won't build vaccum, that are supposed to be good for street use and capable of supplying vacuum brake boosters. The aftermarket pumps are a bit more money, but if they work and are reliable, it would be worth it.

Some good possible solutions.
Summit, I know doesn’t make anything - they are dealers of everything they sell. If you went with an aftermarket electric pump you’d need to go by the manufacturers stated uses. The brakes are dependent on it, so it’s a potential safety issue.

Racer X

Reaction score

That is does. :D Stock converters aren't an existing design that can be fixed. Starting from scratch was the only way with them. Yup, patents don't prevent modifying an existing pump. If they did, no one could rebuild anything. A new pump could at the least, be fixed to live longer. :thumbup:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Had mine seize up on me while towing on Route 78 in PA and chucked the belt. :mad:

I had to call a friend that lived an hour away to bring me a vacuum pump and belt. Changed everything while alongside the highway.

I say ditch the pump, go electric vacuum pump but need to make an idler pulley in place of the pump.

Billy T.
[email protected]

MossBack

Reaction score
Or ditch it all and go hydra boost conversion... That is my plan one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
Or ditch it all and go hydra boost conversion... That is my plan one of these days

I think you will still need the vacuum pump to run your HVAC. You could do the SD electric vacuum pump conversion, but the idea of a pump with greasable bearings seems like it would be an even easier/cheaper fix.

MossBack

Reaction score
Oh yea.. I have owned my 97 for 7 years now and still I carry a spare ford pump and belt because I was stranded once. I have had the best luck with the ford pump vs oriellys pump...

Racer X

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to add a grease fitting to the Vacuum pump?

I think you will still need the vacuum pump to run your HVAC. You could do the SD electric vacuum pump conversion, but the idea of a pump with greasable bearings seems like it would be an even easier/cheaper fix.

We didn't add a grease fitting because both the mechanical and electric pumps use a sealed bearing to keep water, dust, dirt etc. out. Grease can't get in either.
You can try greasing a sealed bearing by injecting grease between or through the seals using a needle fitting. You could try replacing it with an unsealed bearing so grease can enter. However without seals, a bearing is exposed to the elements.

Ideally, a grease fitting, grease able bearing and external seals could be fitted... Then it's on to the next weak link! ... :toast: :D

Bux10

Reaction score
Mine just went out a couple of weeks ago, I replaced it with a dorman vacumm pump from rock auto. It ran me about 80 bucks so far so good!

79jasper

Reaction score
Are these not like the idi vacuum pumps, where you can remove the bolt on the back and oil it?
Been told of some coming dry, and only lasting a few days.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ideas!!!

vacuumpump_zps2496f67f.jpg

leojr

Reaction score
Anyone had luck in finding replacement wear parts so we could just rebuild at home?

Latest posts

Members online