Vacuum pump

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Ive got a 01 f350 4x4 that the brakes just quit on me today.

Fluid is full, no leaks.

The pedal will hold pressure to slow it down but any extended hold on it and the pedal will go to the floor.

Does this sound like the vacuum pump? when i start the truck up, the pump (which im assuming is on the passenger fender) makes all sort of noise now.

Almost ran into the garage door today need to get this figured out tomm.

Thanks!

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I dont know if it would cause the problem your having but the brakes arent vacuum assisted. They are hydraulic assisted using the powersteering pump.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sounds more like a master cylinder issue.

All that vacuum pump is for is to open and close doors in the climate control system and operate the auto locking hubs on a 4X4.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Figured it out...

Guess the brakes dont work when there is no backing plate and your into the cooling fins on the rotors :doh:

Arisley

Reaction score
That will do it. Now that is getting full use out of your parts.

Seriously though. Make sure you clean the slide pins very well. Also clean the bores. Use some high temp caliper grease on them when you put it back together.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
So i thought i had everything good on the brakes. Worked flawlesaly the past two daya now today when i press the pedal im getting feedback against my foot. brakes still work but i shouldnt be getting this feed back correct? Or is it the breaking in

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Once i press the pedal i get one push back and then its fine till i let off the pedal and it will do the same once i push the pedal again

Arisley

Reaction score
Air in the hydrolock system maybe. Or air in a brake line. But that is not really sounding right. Sounds like air in the hydrolock system.

Arisley

Reaction score
Jack the front of the truck up. Remove the power steering cap. Rotate steering wheel slowly lock to lock while depressing and releasing the brake pedal. Repeat for 3286 cycles. That should do it. Make sure you stop and keep the fluid topped off.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense after i thought about it...the steering and the braking system both come from the same source. learn something new everyday. thank you very much!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.