Vgt issue

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
So when I first fire it up I don't hear the whistle at all. (Straight piped) ill get going and then ill feel the turbo kick in and the whistle is back. If I let it idle for a short period of time the whistle goes away and loss of power is present again. Start driving it all comes right back. I can sit and power brake it and then it'll start whistling again. If I get on it hard up a hill it'll work find till I let off then the turbo stops for a short time then comes back. It's an 04 btw. I'm stumped as to what the issue is. Thanks guess

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

Lassie

Reaction score
Is this something that has recently changed? Did it whistle at idle before this with no other changes? If so, start by checking EBP and MAP sensors with KOEO and running. Also, cycle the VGT through its full range at idle and make sure its moving freely.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
when it started doing this the map sensor line blew off but i have since put that back on. i didnt know if it was coking up or the solenoid wasnt wroking right or what nothow do i cycle the vgt?

Lassie

Reaction score
Do you have AE or other diag tool? They can cycle the IPR by changing duty cycle. Turbo veins are probably sticking, but I would check out MAP and EBP sensor and EBP tube first, if you have a way.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I'm getting an SCT here soon but other than that just a scan gauge. And it seems to not want to work with my 6.0.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
did you go bigger with your exhaust? cause when i went to a 5 from a 3" it didnt whistle nearly as loud at an idle as it used to..

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Jeremysmith you can feel a power difference cause it feels like the map sensor isn't hooked up then it kicks in all of a sudden.

Cold Roller

Reaction score
Also check your hose to the MAP sensor is not cracked, nor any leaks on the comp side. As well, have a good look at all exhaust components from the heads to the turbo. In any case, you will have good access to all the components when you take the turbo out to clean it.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Coal- I put a new hose on it so that shouldn't be cracked. Ill definitely have to look around some.

Now my buddy has a reman one off an 03 that's never been ran. Would that be worth it enough just to put on instead of cleaning mine?

Latest posts

Members online