VGT singles for 6.4?

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Anyone looked into making a sinlge vgt setup on a 6.4? is there anything in the works? I keep running the sinlge turbo idea through my head its just I dont like the idea of loosing power and boost at low RPMs with these early locking tunes, and the last thing I want is a stock lock tune to keep things responsive. Hard to bite the bullet on 8000$ high powers, maybe tow-xs

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Anyone looked into making a sinlge vgt setup on a 6.4? is there anything in the works? I keep running the sinlge turbo idea through my head its just I dont like the idea of loosing power and boost at low RPMs with these early locking tunes, and the last thing I want is a stock lock tune to keep things responsive. Hard to bite the bullet on 8000$ high powers, maybe tow-xs

Talk to Doug at GoGo, he has some stuff in the works.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be the same case as a 6.0 with a ssx or a ho? It'll hit it's limit and and you'll need a bigger charger? I would think you'd be better off with stockers.

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I was thinking that the 71mm Dustin is using as his primary might be a sweet turbo to use as a single. I've talked to him about it some, and we are going to discuss it a little more. My concern is the cost of a big VGT turbo. They aren't cheap. When it's all said and done, a compound setup (tow powers) probably isn't going to be too much more and will probably make more power.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I was thinking that the 71mm Dustin is using as his primary might be a sweet turbo to use as a single. I've talked to him about it some, and we are going to discuss it a little more. My concern is the cost of a big VGT turbo. They aren't cheap. When it's all said and done, a compound setup (tow powers) probably isn't going to be too much more and will probably make more power.

secondary. S510 is the primary.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Jeez a single 71 is decent on the street? I know 6.4s can spool em better than 6.0s, but a 66 on a 6.0 wasnt looking too great before. Nvm I'm not thinking about the difference b/w a fixed and vg. Anyone know what sizes are ssx or ho?

jngreen

Reaction score
i was always under the impression that the small was the primary and the large was the atmosphere

Primary and atmosphere are two words used to describe the same thing in a compound turbo setup.

What I posted above is correct.

Primary is the same as Atmosphere charger, Atmosphere is the big turbo.

The big turbo is called the primary because it is first compressor in line, also why it is called the atmosphere (it gets its air from the the atmosphere, while the secondary gets its air from the primary).

Secondary is the same as Manifold charger, the Manifold charger is the smaller of the two.

Last edited:

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Primary and atmosphere are two words used to describe the same thing in a compound turbo setup.

What I posted above is correct.

Primary is the same as Atmosphere charger, Atmosphere is the big turbo.

The big turbo is called the primary because it is first compressor in line, also why it is called the atmosphere (it gets its air from the the atmosphere, while the secondary gets its air from the primary).

Secondary is the same as Manifold charger, the Manifold charger is the smaller of the two.

Correct. another way to describe the setup is the secondary is the high pressure turbo.

jngreen

Reaction score
Correct. another way to describe the setup is the secondary is the high pressure turbo.

Yep, you're right. I knew I forgot something.

High pressure describes the secondary.

Low pressure turbo is really the primary.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone could run the turbo i run as a secondary as a single, the air filter pipe would be interesteding to say the least, might require relocation of the driverside battery, and possible to have to move or get a different degas bottle.

Down pipe wouldnt be hard, just have to use tadds outlet and make a custom pipe to adapt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.