Voltage issue???

CanadianPS

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma, Over the last day or so I finally got time to install my back seat full of parts, 38r w/wicked wheel2 and turbomaster wg controller, full force stage 2 injectors, riffraff FRX, riffraff new intercooler boots, DIY CCV mod and new tuning.

now after a few bugs worked out and some hours on the truck I decided I'd take it out for a little fun, well anyway a few hours later I notice my voltage started to drop off, and quickly to after going from 13.5 to a fluctuating 8.8-12.5 I knew something, more than likely alternator was pooched, but why???? It's only 2 months old.

So I go home rip the alternator off, and bring it over to buddy who built it for me and he tests it and says the regulators pooched, so he warranty's it and I charge the battery's up and fire it up and all is well holding 13.5 at warm idle so i go out driving and this time I'm monitoring my volts on my insight, anyway drive around for an hr all is fine I pull out onto a good stretch and open it up, after the first big pull I do instantly battery light comes on and volts drop to 12.8!! So I knew something was up so I turned the old 1 ton around and headed home, odd thing is when I open it up and go past 20psi the light goes off and all the power comes on again.

Anyway by the time I get home lights still on and I'm sitting at 12.2 volts now, so pretty sure I cooked the alternator again... I don't know what it is I'm thinking maybe something to do with the map seeing to much boost??? I have no clue I'm lost and frustrated any help would be appreciated!!!

JLDickmon

Reaction score
belt tensioner weak not holding preoper tension on the belt???

where'd you get the alternator?
sounds like the brushes bouncing to me..

CanadianPS

Reaction score
Belt tensioner seems good. Belts not loose at all, lots of spring in the tensioner, I got the alternator from a local alternator/starter guy I was referred to.

CanadianPS

Reaction score
Ok so my truck likes to throw me for a loop....

I just went out and started it to see if I can notice anything odd and the thing seemed to fix itself?? It went up from 12.0 to 13.5 in about 3 minutes... So I thought awesome it fixes itself lol, not so much I took it for a drive, first little pull I did, battery light comes back on and starts dropping back down to 12.0

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out I have a similar problem with my obs gone threw 2 alternators now have 2 new batts and after a couple hrs driving it still drops voltage?

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Cables. Probably have corrosion internally at the battery terminal connections. Had same problem about a year ago. New cables and haven't had a problem since. The high resistance causes the regulator to overheat. Test the resistance in the battery cables, should be the same as testing the meter leads on the 200 scale. Any increased resistance equals corrosion and higher amperage draw/push.

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
Not good with testing but just bought a digital meter from autozone what should I put it on to test risistance? Sry I'm mechanically inclined but not when it comes to electric

Mgeod

Reaction score
Had same symptoms .. I put on new alternator charging good , drove it and same problem . Had 2 bad alternators in a row.

Last edited:

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
Ok figured it out my neg wire on the driver side battery is not connected guess during the engine swap I didn't get connected. We're does it bolt to?

TyCorr

Reaction score
There should be a ground point on the fender somewhere. Grab the end that isnt hooked and move it around on that side and when you find a bolt or a previously used bolt hole that lines right up with the cable, that it. It may be behind the battery though. 10 or 13 mm bolt.

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
Thanks well I connected it and I'm still only getting 12 volts on the positive wire driver side so I'm assuming the positive cable going from battery to battery is bad cause the other battery and the alternator show 14.56 while running.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Yep. That's usually how that cable fails then takes out the alternator and causes the one battery to prematurely fail.
I replaced mine then added an additional cross-cable from pos to pos.
Glad you found it.

Latest posts

Members online