water in fuel ????

amarillo250

Reaction score
Just got the warning for water in fuel. I did a round trip for the weekend with around 1600miles and today my water in fuel came on. I dont have the original fuel pump anymore or the filter. I run an aeromotive with Donaldson fuel filter and water fuel separator. Still the fuelbowl in the engine running and filter.
Can somebody explain please.

neverkickn

Reaction score
If you get enough water your sepertor won't remove it all. Have you checked your fuel bowl to see if there is water in it?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
no, too much fuel additive, there really is no such thing. There is no sensor in the fuel bowl so thats not the reason. The only WIF sensor is in the factory HFCM on the frame rail. Is that still on the truck? Is the harness plugged in? Im had my stock pump off with the WIF sensor unplugged and never had any issues.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I'll check it this afternoon, thanks and can it be that I used to much fuel additive????

I doubt it. I would drain the seperator before you drive it any further. It only takes a little water to the injectors to screw **** up.

amarillo250

Reaction score
The light came off a couple minutes later after I drove about 1mile with it on. I stoped the truck drained the W/F sep. and cant find the stupid connector for the water in fuel light. Funny I dont have the stock pump anymore at all.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
I am running an automotive as well. I've had the wif light come one once right after I put it on, and it was after a heavy rain. Hasn't done it since.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
did you guys do anything to protect the connector from the elements after having it unplugged? The moisture could be shorting it out if its exposed. I've never had an issue, I capped mine.

09stroker

Reaction score
WHS^^
All the WIF sensor does is complete the curcuit with water so if water got in the connector it could accomplish the same thing.

smoking stroker

Reaction score
well not to highjack thread but last week i had water in fuel issue. filled up made bout 2 miles down the road and truck bellowed white smoke and died. was on way to get new injectors put in we figured injector went bad. after we removed injector noticed milky whit spots looked like water on old injectors. put new ones on and no start.. after messing around for a while we checked water seperator and itwas full of water. drained tank and got 8 gallons of water out.

amarillo250

Reaction score
drained the W/F sep. and checked the fuel bowl, all good cant find the stupid connector for the W/F signal from the stock pump wich is not even there anymore

neverkickn

Reaction score
well not to highjack thread but last week i had water in fuel issue. filled up made bout 2 miles down the road and truck bellowed white smoke and died. was on way to get new injectors put in we figured injector went bad. after we removed injector noticed milky whit spots looked like water on old injectors. put new ones on and no start.. after messing around for a while we checked water seperator and itwas full of water. drained tank and got 8 gallons of water out.

Know how that hurts. I am cleaning up the mess from a similar scenario. Do yourself a favor and call the state agency that is responsible for regulating fuel quality first thing in the morning, and file a complaint. They should have their number posted on the fuel pump. I would call them before you call the station. Don't want to give the station the oppirtunity to fix the problem.

amarillo250

Reaction score
yesterday we got some nasty weather and the water in fuel came on again. Can anybody tell me where the connection is for the sensor or what else can trigger this.

Latest posts

Members online