Weird steering issue?

STROKED-OUT

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the correct spot or not but here it goes anyhow. I have a E99 f350 and just recently I have noticed some weird steering issues. The issues are that sometimes as I turn the wheel around a corner, as I am straightening the wheel back out, the truck will jerk me to the opposite direction like I have a wheel that is not tracking straight is how I would describe it. Also when just driving down the road randomly the truck will start to pull to the left, and to fix it I have to basically jerk the steering wheel to the right by over correcting it but that only lasts for a couple miles and it back to pulling to the left again.

I had did as many searches as I can and the only thing I find is 1. sticking caliper 2. steering gear box 3. ball joints 4. greasing the roll pins 5. improper tire pressure.
Out of all of these I have already checked to make sure everything was in working order and it seems to be good.
what are my other options and what else should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

Truck has a 3" leveling kit, 20X10 rockstars with 35X12.5 toyo open country MT tires, also with 2" wheel spacers right now. All have been on the truck for may miles now and not had any trouble.

Thanks in advance
JOSH

STROKED-OUT

Reaction score
If you have eliminated every thing else, I would swap the steering gears.

I am not an expert on this but I think I have read somewhere that you can try adjusting the gear box by very small increments (but is not recommended). Would it be worth a try to try adjusting it a little to see if that fixes it?
I would think if that didn't fix it then the issues has to be in something else correct?
But if it were to correct it that would mean the gear box was the problem?

Just kinda thinking out loud, does any of that make sense?

Arisley

Reaction score
If your issue was slack in the gear box, I would say go for the adjustment fix. Your issue is not slack, but binding. I would cut my losses and change it before it bites you in the a$$ at 70 miles an hour in a 50MPH left hand curve.

Zmann

Reaction score
play in the steering box and what your describing is likely a box issue but not adjustable because there are seals leaking internally

not that you can't try to adjust but make sure the steering input play vs when the sector shaft is moving is present

might Be worth letting a front end shop check it out first

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I differ. I did adjust my box and it made a difference, coming to straight from a turn quicker and holding straight as it was not before but needing to jerk your wheel is not that. Don't take this issue for granted, take it to a suspension shop.

You've got a suspension issue, not a steering box issue. My two cents.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds almost like what my truck was doing when the steering box was bad. But it was pretty constant about doing it. Basically where ever you turn the wheel it stayed. So if I had it turned x amount to go around a curve it stayed turned that much after the curve ended and I had to turn the wheel back or it would just keep turning. Usually it caused me to over steer back in the other direction from it "sticking" like this.

Yours kind of sounds like it might be sticking more than mine but mine was the steering box. I had replaced everything under the front end before I finally changed the box out and fixed it.

STROKED-OUT

Reaction score
If your issue was slack in the gear box, I would say go for the adjustment fix. Your issue is not slack, but binding. I would cut my losses and change it before it bites you in the a$$ at 70 miles an hour in a 50MPH left hand curve.

Haha very true I can't imagine its very safe to be out flying around in. It sounds like the majority of people say its the gear box so rather than adjusting it and making things worse I will save some coin up to get the red head gear box.

Do you know of any sponsors here selling them for a good price?

Thanks for your input everyone I do appreciate it.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I read in a few other threads that swamps is carrying them. I bought mine straight from the company but swamps might be able to get you a better price. Worth checking at least.

STROKED-OUT

Reaction score
I think I read in a few other threads that swamps is carrying them. I bought mine straight from the company but swamps might be able to get you a better price. Worth checking at least.

Awesome thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking how much was it from the manufacture?

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cost me :

$345 for the box

$1 enviromental regulation expense-hazmat disposal (No clue what this was for but its on the receipt)

$200 core charge

$32 shipping

$578 total

Then I got the $200 back when I set the old box back to them so $378 in the end.

Latest posts

Members online