What aftermarket lights to get for an 01

neverkickn

Reaction score
Best option for a 99-04 is our true projection Hid kits. using '05 up lights with the lousy H13 bulbs just don't get you quality lighting add the fact that they also cannot be aimed correctly and you have to spend $ to mod the truck adds up to IMO a fail.

Thanks for the suggestion Cary, but I can't justify the expense of a projector housing and hid kit For this truck. I also don't need that much light so I am staying with the stock wiring and stockish halogen bulbs. I do however like to look at shiney stuff, and this thread may give your product a touch of exposure, so if you wouldn't mind posting a pic of your offering that would be cool.

I am also not interested in modding the truck for 05 housings. I don't like the idea of cutting the header, simple as it may be. Also, as Cary mentioned, the h13 bulbs would be a step backwards.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Thanks again for the input Carey. I did a bit of research on your conversion and it is definitely the cats ass with quality conversion parts and outrageous light output.

I think I am going to go with the one piece eagle eyes that I linked earlier. i just really want the one piece Harley style light. i would definitely do your lamp upgrade, but I think the heat would be too much for that type of housing because the light is reflected back to the housing and then out to the lense.

Out of curiousity, would you retrofit the headlights I linked in my first post? It's the first link.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nvrkick- you have to use the right header panel. Im not talking about lights but rather putting a 99-04 grille on an 05+. It wont work.

Those first lights that say 99-04 unless im mistaken require cutting.

I cut my header panel and it was fine. No regrets here. In fact, with ebay prices id put an 07 front end on even if i stayed with chrome. It looks soooooo much better, imo of course. The grilles look so tough on those trucks.

My vote is for the one piece with led's or find the harleys with no amber on them.

My only ricy leaning on these truck is running all white lights on the cab,mirrors, and in the marker/turn signal on the headlight housings. I just think it looks sweet on black trucks!

Hopefully this doesnt upset the op too much but if we're discussing cosmetics what would you prefer on a black truck: all black, ptm or the chrome 07 front end? I have clear cab lights 08 mirror lights and clear 07 oem headlights too.

I already.said it but the led'd harleys look BA.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Yeah Ty, I'm going with the lights in the first link, which are a one piece Harley design, but will bolt on the 01 header with no modification.

As for your question regarding a PTM front on a black truck, I think that I would do everything but the bumper. Chrome and black just look so good together.

Personally though, I think that more can be done with the 99-04 front to make them look good. I am looking at this grille and thinking about a PTM on the upper valence of the font bumper and the entire rear ranch hand.

Attachments

• rid4588_r1_800.jpg
    rid4588_r1_800.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 75

TyCorr

Reaction score
Paint the grey plastic under the bumper too?

I too like black AND chrome. But there is something sinister and impressive about a clean black truck in person. Im kinda torn but like the idea of chromes durability.

I painted everything on my frontend black back in 05 while I was running wider welds and then smashed the frontend up plowing and replaced it all with stock chrome. Its pretty much like that but the grey.junk is black.

Those lights are pretty sweet if you really dont have to mod your panel.

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Guy in my classes has those 1 piece lights that you don't have to cut the panel for and they look alright. Probably nice that to don't have to cut the panel at all. They just mount in using those factory clips. I though about those but my truck is going to be an oem frankentruck. Using all different model year parts on it all either ford parts or stock appearing aftermarket.

Some all black trucks look awesome then add just a touch of machining on the wheels with mostly black and that really sets it off.

KYkickinit

Reaction score
My truck came with those lights from your first link. I'm about to yank them out cut my header panel and put Harley's in. The LEDs blow and then they look funny. Fitment isn't the best either but not the worst.

Devil Car

Reaction score
I too bought a truck with the first lights. The LEDs blow on one side, like the previous guy said making them look ridiculous, plus the light output sucks. Forget about the high beams, too, because they are useless! I can't stand them!

I can't help but imagine that the OEM lights were 8 million times better than those pieces of junk.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I too bought a truck with the first lights. The LEDs blow on one side, like the previous guy said making them look ridiculous, plus the light output sucks. Forget about the high beams, too, because they are useless! I can't stand them!

I can't help but imagine that the OEM lights were 8 million times better than those pieces of junk.

What about theme makes the high beams useless and why does the light output such? Are they just dull or is the pattern funky? If you could get a night pic of the light shining on a wall from about 25 feet back I would appreciate it greatly.

KYkickinit

Reaction score
Fwiw I got my harley lights for 158 shipped with the 9007-h13 adapters included. I'm pretty sure that's about the same price and the others you posted.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's too late. I dropped the link in an email to my wife as a Christmas suggestion and I think she already bought them. Aside from the LEDs, how was the light output on yours?

dsberman94

Reaction score
People say the 07 oem style light output sucks but I love them. They're much better than my original 02 lights. Also they're great because I always drive with my fogs on and I have them aimed a little higher than they should be. The fogs take care of up close and the headlights go farther. The top of the light is right at the top of a ford rangers tailgate in front of me.

Devil Car

Reaction score
What about theme makes the high beams useless and why does the light output such? Are they just dull or is the pattern funky? If you could get a night pic of the light shining on a wall from about 25 feet back I would appreciate it greatly.

Sorry, I don't have an easy way to get a night pic at that distance where I live. The high beams at least on mine have really poor output. It's hard to explain, but when you use them it may put the lighting at a more spread out pattern, but it doesn't have as much depth. Usually when you turn on a vehicles high beams, everything is brighter and you can see much further down the road. I don't get that with these.

I just came back from a hunting trip, and I had my father and brother-in-law in the truck driving at night on Fire Roads. I had been telling them how horrible the lights were, and while driving I kept changing from high to low beams and back. What I found is that it was easier to see with the low beams in almost every condition. My brother-in-law commented that the high beams really sucked and that he thought the low-beams were better. I totally agree! It's really noticeable when you are somewhere where there isn't much light pollution (like the forest).

On that note, I think the low beams have terrible output, as well. It's just not a very even pattern, at least on mine. They make driving on dirt mountain roads at night a real chore. There have been times that I've been flat out scared going around turns, because they do such a poor job of illuminating the roads. Some of the areas that I hunt in are very mountainous with roads that wind up and down deep canyons. It's not much fun navigating these in the dark with crappy lights!

neverkickn

Reaction score
Got a set of morimoto mini h1 6.0 projectors with 35w ballasts and 35w 4300k bulbs with 2.0 Gatling gun shrouds showing up tomorrow. I also have a set of new clear lens housings separated and ready to retrofit. I should have some pretty freakin awesome front end lighting by Sunday evening.

BTW, if anyone wants a set of those ebay headlights that I linked earlier in this thread with the led's just let me know.

neverkickn

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390705118.081627.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390705160.445437.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390705193.716746.jpg

I had a damaged lens holder out of the box as well as a fitment issue with the mounting rings for the shrouds so I won't be finishing this up for a week or so but I have things moving in the right direction.

The 9007 bulb socket in the housing is too thick for the threaded shaft on the projector to go through with enough exposure to thread the nut all the way down so some sanding was in order. If anyone does this just take care to note the plane of the back opening of the bulb socket before sanding so that the finished plane will match. Otherwise you may have to get creative in order to perfect the alignment.

I will epoxy a large fender washer to the back of the housing in order to reduce the size of the opening enough to get the projector mounted. When I get to that I'll post up a pic.

Since I have a few days before the replacement parts arrive I have decided to paint the reflectors and shrouds in a flat black to prevent any light scatter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.