What happened to customer service

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It all depends. Did you use good gaskets and good studs? Did he deny getting the heads sent to machine shop? Did you advise him his deck was not perfectly straight and he denied wanting to get it machined? Did your new guy take it on and you question his work? Did the customer supply the parts/heads?

I've ran into almost all of these situations. Documentation is your best friend.

Alot of factors here

78f100

Reaction score
I would, but I'm a smaller shop. I had a 6.4 I installed last year come back about a month later with 2 bent pushrods. It was a used motor, I sold the customer but I fixed it for free the next day, even though I know it was being raced every weekend. Thankfully we have never had a headgasket job come back.
I'm in a small town, things like that will make or break a shop here. We stay wrapped up all the time, with at least a 2 to 3 week wait on head gasket jobs. We have never advertised, and are not the cheapest, but we do it right and take care of our customers if they have issues. No shop is gonna be perfect everytime, even the big names, but it's how they handle the small problems that make them a good place to deal with.
I have dealt with MPD a few times and they have treated me well, so this is not aimed at them I'm just speaking in general.

scparrish

Reaction score
Hopefully this can be corrected quickly. It takes a long time to turn a bad reputation around. This would't be the first vendor to fall off.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Have a question for all you guys that own a shop/work on trucks.. If a customer comes back with blown headgasket, or whatever other reason, would you push it to the front of the line? Even if you're crazy busy? I'm going through a situation right now. And I'm tired of waiting(months).

Yes! Only exception being a big truck engine being rebuilt. If a guy is spending 40 grand for a balanced, cammed, cat and such they get finished first. Most modded pickups are toys and they may sit a day or two before work is started.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would, but I'm a smaller shop. I had a 6.4 I installed last year come back about a month later with 2 bent pushrods. It was a used motor, I sold the customer but I fixed it for free the next day, even though I know it was being raced every weekend. Thankfully we have never had a headgasket job come back.
I'm in a small town, things like that will make or break a shop here. We stay wrapped up all the time, with at least a 2 to 3 week wait on head gasket jobs. We have never advertised, and are not the cheapest, but we do it right and take care of our customers if they have issues. No shop is gonna be perfect everytime, even the big names, but it's how they handle the small problems that make them a good place to deal with.
I have dealt with MPD a few times and they have treated me well, so this is not aimed at them I'm just speaking in general.

We've had work come in from big shops that I wonder how they stay in business.

Thats almost as bad as one of the workers getting in a high speed chase over the weekend in a modded shop truck. I wish I was joking. Long weekend!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
We've had work come in from big shops that I wonder how they stay in business.

Thats almost as bad as one of the workers getting in a high speed chase over the weekend in a modded shop truck. I wish I was joking. Long weekend!
Details please, that is hilarious.

78f100

Reaction score

X2
I got a 250 dollar ticket on the way home from TS last year, in one of my friends truck, he is also a mechanic for me. We were racing a Suncoast truck on the innerstate, it wasnt my fault he basically was toying with us so I had to show that cummins what a 467hp 6.0 could do...lol. He beat me and got away without a ticket.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Have a question for all you guys that own a shop/work on trucks.. If a customer comes back with blown headgasket, or whatever other reason, would you push it to the front of the line? Even if you're crazy busy? I'm going through a situation right now. And I'm tired of waiting(months).

at most shops, warranty work gets pushed to the end of the line... IE, paying jobs that came in at the same time are going to go through first while working in the warranty job.

if the shop is barely scraping by because they quote cheap prices in order to get work and then cut corners in order to turn a profit on cheap quotes, then the end of that line may never get any closer :eek:

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
X2
I got a 250 dollar ticket on the way home from TS last year, in one of my friends truck, he is also a mechanic for me. We were racing a Suncoast truck on the innerstate, it wasnt my fault he basically was toying with us so I had to show that cummins what a 467hp 6.0 could do...lol. He beat me and got away without a ticket.
^ That may be the only time in history that having the faster truck could save you money. LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score

I better not yet...just got a lawyer yesterday. There are 14 tickets.

And one of the rims is busted. The terra grapplers on the rear are bald...they have like 8k miles on them.

Ill spill the beans after it progresses.

mandkole

Reaction score
to the OP, I would have shut that order down after the first couple of days of BS. The crappy thing is that you have them out and its go time. Hopefully it works out.

Mike's lariat

Reaction score
I just get tired of the "profit first, service maybe" business plan that has taken over in many businesses. But if that's the way these places want to run we can keep making posts about them and hopefully they won't have any profit very soon.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I just get tired of the "profit first, service maybe" business plan that has taken over in many businesses. But if that's the way these places want to run we can keep making posts about them and hopefully they won't have any profit very soon.

you wouldn't believe how many customers i deal with that buy or bought stuff elsewhere and i get to clean up the mess ( just think h&s). i enjoy it, in part because i want the pain to be overwith for the guy getting the ringer , and the other part is knowing that if/when they decide to do something else hopefully they come my way. customer service is absolutely number 1 , without question. i think many vendors/shops get caught in the moment ( i think i used to as well ) , but must realize the cost to rectify is tiny in the grand scheme , and will disappear eventually. not to mention i love my sleep . IMO only one way to have a good night's sleep .

78f100

Reaction score
you wouldn't believe how many customers i deal with that buy or bought stuff elsewhere and i get to clean up the mess ( just think h&s). i enjoy it, in part because i want the pain to be overwith for the guy getting the ringer , and the other part is knowing that if/when they decide to do something else hopefully they come my way. customer service is absolutely number 1 , without question. i think many vendors/shops get caught in the moment ( i think i used to as well ) , but must realize the cost to rectify is tiny in the grand scheme , and will disappear eventually. not to mention i love my sleep . IMO only one way to have a good night's sleep .

That's good to hear Mike, always knew you were a good dude, but that says a lot about you and your business.

matt92idi

Reaction score
I don't like saying it about a local business but it's how I've felt as well. I've never bought anything from them and I don't really plan on it. My buddies up pipes took 2 months to show up. I feel like there are plenty of other builders out there with a better product and price

KCTurbos

Reaction score

^^^ very true. I like my sleep. I will bend over backwards for all my customers and even people who got screwed over by other guys... but it just seems like some companies dont care.

I think some people just don't care. I have talked to a few businesses that are SUPER SHADY and have HORRIBLE customer service and those owners sleep like babies at night??? I wonder how they stay in business but people keep coming back for more.

04cr450

Reaction score
It's the same in my business charlie^. Their is soooo many people out their the bad gets blended in by the good.. but give it time.. I see shady companies around my area/business that come and go like flies.. you gotta remember too- people in general are lazy, very lazy, so when something happens for the worst in a business transaction- the ones that got screwed won't put forth the energy in complaining to the public, AND people these days can care less about quality, as long as it "works" it's peaches and cream by them!

Latest posts

Members online