What is the best cam

Charles

Reaction score
From what I have been told it will help in the upper rpm range which obviously with a puller is where it will be needed. I have no actual proof that it does help but considering the price I payed for it I figure it wouldn't hurt to through it in and see.

Seemed to work good in the pumpkin......

It's painful to read.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I know charles, I would love to see actual proof on paper from a dyno that shows the improvement across the rpm range or anything other than "It works". I went back and forth quite a bit on if I should get one or not but like I stated the price was cheap enough that I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I can pull the motor out of this truck in less than 2 hours so worst case I take a evening and pull it and swap back to the stock cam.

cumminskiller

Reaction score
has anyone ran a colt's cam yet? Last time i talked to Geoff he said he has only built one or two and never got any feedback so he wasnt sure how they were doing.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Those sorts of gains are something I've often wondered if we couldn't get with simple rocker ratio adjustments.

Doing this also adds to the negatives of the factory profile though. On a compound truck with drive close to boost, it isn't as big of a factor. The thing is that a 200k motor should have a cam reground anyway to get rid of pitting, so why not replace it with something better. The factory profile with just an LSA change and different centerlines would make more power than stock but on my stage 1 I took it a step further and balanced the airflow better since the intake ports will always flow less than the exhaust ports unless you purposely only port the intake runners. IMO you shouldn't do this because you could take advantage of the better flowing exhaust runners and delay the exhaust opening and convert more energy into driving the crankshaft instead of driving the turbo all other things being equal. Why do you think a 6 liter relies on a VGT turbo to make boost down low? The engineers did exactly what i'm talking about with lengthening the power stroke by holding off the exhaust opening as long as possible for maximum efficiency.

Last edited:

02BigD

Reaction score
I have one of Matt's stage 1 cams in the truck. I can't provide the exact info that a handful of you want, but I can provide some hard numbers of how the setup works after 10,000 miles. Hopefully some good info for the DD crowd.

Carson Stauffer ported the heads, 910's springs, an of the shelf 66/71/19 H2e, Swamps 355/100 hybrids, headers. Engine was slightly decompressed by the bowl work on the pistons. CCSB, weighs 8250lbs with full tank of fuel and me in it.

I dyno'd at Rudy's. At that point, I had driven around 1000 miles since getting the truck back.

Rudys2011.jpg

The gauge recall said max boost was 36-37psi, EGT's max was just under 1300. Normally on the street I will see 42psi on boost. That was on Matt's tune that he had sent me originally. No tweaks had been made to that point.

For normal DD purposes, I see 600 degrees crusing along at 60. From a 25 mph dig, if I roll into the throttle, the truck will got to WOT and hold to well north of 100 and never touch 1200 degrees. On the highway at 60 speedo, 65 mph gps, I see 700 degrees and 2 or 3 lbs of boost. At 75 mph speedo (81mph on gps) I run 800 degrees and 8 psi boost.

On Matt's tunes, I can not get the pyro to reach 1400 degrees no matter what I do, and for all intensive purposes only gets to a slight haze in smoke. I have a couple of other chips that I can see 1400, but can not get it to 1600. They also smoke much heavier.

I wanting a better turbo now, I think it will really help round out the package as a whole. Maybe a GTx4294r.... As soon as I stop hearing about the cost of the build. LOL

Gearhead

Reaction score
Dom, something doesn't seem kosher with your setup's fuel..... you should be getting more EGTs on a WOT blast on the hottest tune. The other EGTs seem in line with what others have seen with the cam and what i've experienced on my daily driver thus far.

Charles

Reaction score
Looks like you actually shifted the operating range lower than a stock cam.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Looks like you actually shifted the operating range lower than a stock cam.

He's not seeing the temps he should be.... I think he has a fueling issue of some kind and it may be the tuning (my fault).

Latest posts