What it takes to Chip a diesel

kotyr250

Reaction score
So im currently in diesel mechanic school and had a class arugement about chips. i have heard of people burning out their lifter pump either a random act or from the chip itself. My teacher says a chip wont cuase that but bigger injectors will. i want peoples exsperince and oppions to with anything along these lines.

also trying to see what the proper way to go to chip my truck 1999 f250 7.3l

thanks koty

ghohouston

Reaction score
A pump will only pump what its rated for at x amount of psi. Thats why you generally see guys rumming larger injectors running dual fuel pumps or an upgraded higher flowing fuel pump. A chip alone will not cause a failed fuel pump. As far as chipping your truck, there are lots of companies on this site that are excellent tuners. Pick one. Get a 6 position chip and not something like a bullydog or superchips tuner though. I would verify your maintaining fuel pressure before you do anything else on your truck, followed by installing fuel pressure, egt, and boost gauges, that way you know whats happening with the main vitaks of your truck.

kotyr250

Reaction score
thanks i already have one picked out a ts 6 postion or a dp idk which one to get yet

nwpastroker

Reaction score
The people telling you about the fuel pump going out are probably CR guys who have huge tunes on stock trucks and cant keep rail pressure. Check your pressure now, see what it is. If its good 60ish, throw a ts on it and youll be fine, with the 7.3s your factory pump will keep up with the tuner and stock injectors as long as it is in good shape to begin with

old man dave

Reaction score
Go to http://dieselorings.com, click on Instruction Sheets and Information at the top of the page and then General info at the bottom of the page. You wind up at Guzzle's diesel page. There's some good starter information there for you.

Latest posts

Members online