What rpm to run 7.3

Binder man

Reaction score
I wouldn't think about spinning them to hard with added power on stock pushrods. Besides Smith Bros. pushrods are only like $120 if I remember right.

JD3020

Reaction score
Is this doable on stock pushrods?

910s were shimmed to 1.750 +-.005 , is that enough ?

I had asked a couple times in 3 different threads about correct shim height and nobody really responded...

sent while staring at a windowed block

I've said it a million times that i've got it written down, but i still haven't found my shim specs. LOL But IIRC my valves were sunk in the head .005" over factory specs(valve seat wear). And then i added .060" shims. I wanna say it came in somewhere around 1.735 or 1.745" installed height, or somewhere around 135-140lbs of seat pressure.

Still running stock pushrods, but i need to get some extra rockers and find a decent deal on pushrods for when i decide to start spinning her past 4k.

Reaction score
1.750" is what I set up the 910's at, but I'm not sure how far in the RPMs to take them to. Don't think I've ever twisted one past about 4100 RPM.. Comp 910s at 1.750" is about 135lbs seat pressure.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
It would only be when pulling, so 5-6 times a year, I have buckets of spare pushrods... I guess I am hesitant to go stronger rods, because I like my weak link to be something cheap and easy to replace.

How many rpm is 1.750 good for ? With say 40psi

JD3020

Reaction score
If 1.75 gives us 135lbs of pressure, they should be good up to 84psi(going off a valve size of 1.6 i saw in a post by Swamps). Now as to RPM's, IDK. I'm sure theres calculations for that.

Binder man

Reaction score
your rocker arms will just be your next weakest link. Don't worry the pushrods are well worth the investment. Rocker arms have to be taken off to change a bent pushrod anyway, so you ought as well throw them in and break a rocker instead of a pushrod. But it is fairly "odd" to break a rocker. Normally they break when the springs aren't shimmed right and the valve kisses the piston.

PSDEng

Reaction score
your rocker arms will just be your next weakest link. Don't worry the pushrods are well worth the investment. Rocker arms have to be taken off to change a bent pushrod anyway, so you ought as well throw them in and break a rocker instead of a pushrod. But it is fairly "odd" to break a rocker. Normally they break when the springs aren't shimmed right and the valve kisses the piston.

:whs: I've put about 30 hooks on 910s and Carson's pushrods with stock rockers and haven't had a problem. I too think you're better off to put in some good pushrods and run the risk of replacing a rocker.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to run them to 4K plus if needed and you have springs/pushrods. Your not making as much power up there but your keeping wheel speed up until the sled pulls you down into your sweet spot for RPM's.

Exactly. Who cares if your power drops off a bit? You're looking for speed until the weight drops.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
From my understand the high pressures of the springs will cause the stock pushrods to deflect, when opening the valves, and they'll eventually bend.

I've actually never heard that before. I'd expect any deflection in the pushrods to be permanent. As in, first time there's deflection, it stays that way (bent).

I think as long as you keep the valves off the piston, the pushrods will stay strait.

I tore apart my relatively stock 180k mile motor and had bent push rods..

I believe that.

Cody

Reaction score
I've actually never heard that before. I'd expect any deflection in the pushrods to be permanent. As in, first time there's deflection, it stays that way (bent).

I think as long as you keep the valves off the piston, the pushrods will stay strait.

I believe that.

I didn't have any valve contact at least that I could notice.. Yet had 7 or 8 that were bent..

JD3020

Reaction score
My old motor had lots of valve slap, but never bent a pr

I honestly find that hard to believe.

One of these days i'm gonna tear my old engine down, it had 205k miles when i yanked it. AD's went in at 185k and i ran the piss out of it, and blew up a transmission. Hell i didn't even have gauges, and it never left the race tune. Then at 193k 175/100%'s went in, and again i ran the piss out of it. I'm sure i'll have a few custom pistons in there somewhere.

Is the stock balancer sufficient for a few high RPM runs, or is an ATI needed?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I honestly find that hard to believe.

One of these days i'm gonna tear my old engine down, it had 205k miles when i yanked it. AD's went in at 185k and i ran the piss out of it, and blew up a transmission. Hell i didn't even have gauges, and it never left the race tune. Then at 193k 175/100%'s went in, and again i ran the piss out of it. I'm sure i'll have a few custom pistons in there somewhere.

Is the stock balancer sufficient for a few high RPM runs, or is an ATI needed?

Would u like to see pics of the pistons??? Stock push rods that are actually in my motor I'm running now

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.