what to look for on a higher mileage 6.0?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
going to look at an 05 f350 ex cab lb what are some things to look for i haven't been around enough of them to know what to watch for other then the obvious puking coolant miles on it are 240k

swinky

Reaction score
Check for head studs! Sounds dumb but a lot of trucks are studded out there. Make sure coolant doesn't smell like diesel.

peixinho

Reaction score
check for studs but don't pay extra or plan not to ever have to do them again.

On my last 6.0 I made sure to buy 1 with studs... 2 months later blown headgaskets because of black onyx and crappy head machine work...

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Drive it till its real hot then come back to the sellers lot and let it sit 5-10 minutes while you check over the rest of the truck then see it it starts again or it has a HPOP fitting going bad.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
What did you end up doing. I have a higher mileage 6.0 eclb (265) I'd let go reasonably its a 03 and have had it since 19k and the last 9 years

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
probably look for a new motor to toss in it... lifters are on their way out.....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Im replying to the thread title.... there are really no symptoms.. once it happens, its done.. thumping out of intake, will eventually stop building low oil pressure, chew up cam, front cover, etc.. engines are toast.. Just had my lowest milege ever for a lifter failure..... 54,000 miles and engine is completely toast... found the roller and needdle bearings in the pan...

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
ended up not going for it decided to hold off till tax time so ill have the coin for a nicer truck this one wasnt bad but no studs 240k on it had me leary didnt want to get it and have to drop a bunch of coin on it just to have reliable since it would be my dd

swinky

Reaction score
Im replying to the thread title.... there are really no symptoms.. once it happens, its done.. thumping out of intake, will eventually stop building low oil pressure, chew up cam, front cover, etc.. engines are toast.. Just had my lowest milege ever for a lifter failure..... 54,000 miles and engine is completely toast... found the roller and needdle bearings in the pan...

Sooo how many would you say are doing this. Seems like it's coming up more often but still not very many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I would say if your buying from a lot buyer beware but if its someones daily driver most issues are bound to be taken care of if its got high miles . If the motors real clean and has no service records its probably a cleaned up turd .

swinky

Reaction score
It's the same design as the 6.4s and they don't seem to do it often, not yet atleast. Power level doesn't have anything to do with it either I don't think.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The only motor these lifters aren't failing in is the 7.3. But yes they are failing in the 6.4 too... I literally have 5 trucks at the shop with lifter failure and just sent one back to ford since it was a 08 with 54k on it...

Everybody will experience this sooner or later.. When your heads are off for studs I recommend doing lifters

Latest posts

Members online