what turbo after a 38r

TARM

Reaction score
I was initially concerned, but now sold with how nice the 4294 lights..even with a light fuel tow file. It was called a 38 on steroids and that sums it up. Quickly pulls to 35-40 and at that point, a 7K trailer is not even back there.

Yep IMO the 4294 is almost ideally matched as "do all" turbo for the 7.3. It tows well it spools up quick, has very little lag. The flow is matched well to the 7.3. No its not near as configurable as s300 s400s so if you want to be changing wheels and housing etc that's a different game. Even the journal bearing is good for 600 with some 200%. Of course this is only one person opinion with mild experience and there are people on here that have been and use all sorts of turbo configs.

I will say be sure to hook the water connection up. Even if you just hook it simply into the heat lines. Get water too it. According to the Garrett tech a member hasd spoken to the one with water pickup do not have the same heat sinks or whatnot that the oil only have so oil alone does not provide the same level of cooling on these. The water is needed. Especially for hard runs or long runs under med higher boost. All I can say is what I was told. I got the hook up Matt (gearhead) recommended with the banjo bolt hook ups as it makes it nice and compact. Himni Racing sells the kit for $25. The banjo plus proper PL for 6 hose. T into a heater line. It works off of thermal flow.

I have the X version and its eery quiet. I assume this is because of very tight tolerances which for the cost it better be LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online