What would cause a piston wrist pin to exit the block making a 3" hole after 500mi??!

cccj

Reaction score
What would cause a piston wrist pin to exit the block making a 3" hole after 500mi??!

Replacement short block in my truck 500 miles ago. Also did heads, studs, hpfp, oil cooler, water pump, rebuilt turbos and ******s. Driving down the highway towing a 7k trailer with the MiniMaxx in Tow; all temps in normal ranges and no unusual sounds. Boom.... and I found the wrist pin on the shoulder of the road.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 246

cccj

Reaction score
A remanufactured bored short block with warranty. I'd rather not say the name until I figure out who is paying.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Chances are the rod bolts were not replaced and loosened or pop the heads off. Very common in remand motors. This things going to have to be taken down though and inspected. Chances are if it's one of the big names places they will just send you a new engine. But if it's a small time shop, might be hard

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's always the rods. I've had jasper, reviva, and ford's all throw rods

cccj

Reaction score
Could an injector failure do damage like that? That's what they said before looking at it.

78f100

Reaction score
A injector could have stuck hydro locking that cylinder, causing a bent rod. I had it happen on my first motor, rod was bent and piston was in 3 large pieces when I tore it down. Did you get new injectors also? Use caution as lots of the rebuilders will play the blame game to avoid a claim. Hopefully they will take care of it but if you installed used injectors they are not likely to make it good. I always install new injectors on short or long blocks when we sell them.

cccj

Reaction score
I had them test all the injectors and they replaced 2.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I would retest at least the one from that cylinder... even though these can stick and unstick

AshevilleEngine.com

Reaction score
There is a chance that cylinder had either excess fuel or coolant in it. If that happens, something has to give. That being said, we have found that a large percentage of connecting rods from 6.4 core engines are twisted. I think we figured out why but that's another story.
If the connecting rod was twisted, the wrist pin is working at a strange angle and with everything fitting tighter in a newly machined block with new parts, what you described could possibly happen, although I've not personally heard of that happening.
Unfortunately, with catastrophic damage to that cylinder, you can't rely on the condition of that connecting rod giving you good forensic evidence.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a chance that cylinder had either excess fuel or coolant in it. If that happens, something has to give. That being said, we have found that a large percentage of connecting rods from 6.4 core engines are twisted. I think we figured out why but that's another story.
If the connecting rod was twisted, the wrist pin is working at a strange angle and with everything fitting tighter in a newly machined block with new parts, what you described could possibly happen, although I've not personally heard of that happening.
Unfortunately, with catastrophic damage to that cylinder, you can't rely on the condition of that connecting rod giving you good forensic evidence.

well thank god you have nationwide shipping. LOL

cccj

Reaction score
The shop has diagnosed it as a malfunctioning #1 injector.

cccj

Reaction score
Is this common? No codes, warnings, sounds, black smoke... injector failure and hyrdolocked cylinder.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Yes, it is unfortunately quite common for a shop to blame something completely unrelated to the failure for the failure in order to avoid having to pay warranty claims...

See the movie "Tommy Boy" for everything you ever needed to know about most warranties.

89e8d657c7117bc1be01f5d73c77c31296e4ab79555767c0c9.jpg

cccj

Reaction score
After removing the engine from the truck the shop found both #7 and 8 rods and journals were separated from the crank. They are replacing the short block and all associated parts under warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.