What would cause this?

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
The tires have been on the truck for a little over a year. Just last week they were mounted on some 20x10 fuel wheels under warranty due to the chrome moto metals pitting. Couple of days later the tire pressure sensor gives a warning and the truck is returned to the place where they were installed. A total of 26 miles including 8 mile drive to and from. The place is claiming this was caused by the truck dropping off a curb, which did not happen.

The tires are 37x12.50R20 trail grapplers and the wheels are 20x10 fuels. The truck is a 2012 F250 CCSB with a 6" lift.

The damage is on the inside of the wheel/tire. The two spots on the wheel are what look like chips, not so much scratches (as if it hit a concrete curb, etc). Truck did not experience any symptoms,, first warning was the tpms. The truck is my mother's and they have tried to take advantage of her before at the same place (rear brakes @ 36k miles).

Fwiw: when my mother went back to take pictures, several people confronted her and told her she was not allowed to take pictures, they should be deleted, and she could not take the truck at that time because it was under investigation.

Has anyone seen this happen due to improper mounting? Any other ideas?

yveha5um.jpg

8uha6yra.jpg

y2a5uvev.jpg

yqa6uber.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Derkperk

Reaction score
I have seen sidewalks bulge like that but not the bead. Looks like the cords were broken when mounting. It makes me curious as it is on the inside of the wheel. You should be able to jump that truck with 37's let alone hit a curb.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I had a set of Pirelli scorpion atr's do that very with similar side wall signs. This happened with my plow on my gmc it popped the inner bead steel band thing. Treat it with a grain of salt this was a year and a half ago I do not remember every detail to the t. mine was caused by poor mounting at the location.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, assumed that mounting/dismounting was the culprit. The employee is young and very defensive about the situation. Then they tried to sell her a new tire at "dealer cost" which was around $680.00...

Discount has the same tire for $478.00 I believe.

And if the truck was dirty and looking neglected, it was mine. But yes that was it, unfortunately it's been on the back burner because of school. We're you in your truck? I remember a lifted dually with side pipes but didn't see yours.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I had this happen to me on my nitto trail grapplers....what caused it was the bead was torn during installation...the 4wd center I'd bought the wheels and tires from didn't reverse mount the tires on the wheels (Moto metals). They tried mounting them like normal, causing them to over stretch the bead, tearing the bead, and over time (about a year) the side wall seperated and a similar bulge occurred.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Well, she agreed to pay $275 for a new tire yesterday, old tire was placed in the bed of the truck. Today another tire on the opposite side of the truck started losing air at the valve stem. Back to the dealership where all this has been happening, now with her husband. After a heated debate, the worker claims he has never seen the tire in the bed of the truck. Things get more heated and they agree to refund the $275, but do not want to touch the truck anymore. The general manager says to take it to the DODGE dealership and have it fixed(same owner I assume).
Upon arrival at the dodge dealership my mom goes to show them the ruined tire that was replaced but conveniently enough it is no longer in the bed of the truck. The Dodge dealership did not have the proper equipment to mount a 37". The GM now says they can take the truck to the tire place of their choice and have the valve stem fixed.

Upon removal of the tire it was clear that the tpms was not mounted correctly and the tire is cut from mounting (pictured below). Note: this is a different tire than the original tire pictured.

Now we're unsure if the other three tires are damaged or not.

jejunyra.jpg

yqy6yru6.jpg

he8yhety.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399060848450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399060848450.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 54

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Those tires were definitely mounted wrong. There is a reason that the wheels arent flat across from bead to bead ie: ______ and instead are _----__ so that once the first wall of the tire is mounted it has a groove to fall into so that it can allow for the outer wall to be mounted onto the rim. If you mount it with the wheel facing the wrong way (wheel dependent as you can see the indention is usually towards one side of the wheel or the other) then the first mounted wall wont fall into the groove and will cause the machine to start tearing into the bead of the wall you are trying to mount. Definitely their fault.

Latest posts

Members online