What would you do? (Bulletproofing)

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I have an 04 F-250 XLT 4x4 ECSB. The truck is very clean with 120k miles. The truck is bonestock. I planned on bulletproofing late winter early spring but would like to do it sooner. I'll be honest I am super paranoid Everytime I drive it. The truck is my daily driver I have a Mustang I race and drive on nice days. I actually got the truck to pull the Mustang to the tracks....kinda wanna make the truck run decent too? Thats probably the heaviest thing the truck will pull for now (enclosed trailer). Everyone has a different version of bulletproofing so I would like to hear yours? Not looking into making this a debate just some good direction. Winters here can be brutal also keep that in mind (-30 last year). This is what I have in mind feel free to correct me or add what you would do....after all that's what forums are for.

ARP headstuds
OEM gaskets
Heads checked
Upgraded oil cooler
EGR ******
Coolant filter
Blue spring
No limit CAI
5" straight pipe
SCT x4
Edge CTS2
Egt probe obviously
Custom tunes from GH and or IDP
Rotella T6 synthetic
Motor craft Oil filter
Rev X or Archoil oil additive

I think that's it for now....down the road if I want more power and I am sure I will go with bigger injectors and KC Stage 2.

DieselMater86

Reaction score
Go ahead and do uppipes, water pump, hpop while your right there. At least hpop just to be safe mine went out of no where. Get a fuel gauge also.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Go ahead and do uppipes, water pump, hpop while your right there. At least hpop just to be safe mine went out of no where. Get a fuel gauge also.

What Hpop do you recommend? Looks like xtreme diesel sells a nice up pipe kit. You recommend the billet water pump by BPD?

Reaction score
O ring the heads, while they're out, FICM tuning, cold side metal pipe

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Corys6.0

Reaction score
O ring the heads, while they're out, FICM tuning, cold side metal pipe

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Just a FICM- tune or 58v upgrade ? Seems like a lot of people like the Atlas 40. How much does O-ringing the heads add?

Reaction score
Different per shop on O-ringed, I wanna say it would've been about $350 according to the PO when he was having all the work done

Reaction score
FICM is up to you, but running does help with throttle, smoke, and exhaust temps

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Ok I will definitely ask about O-ringing the heads. I am definitely gonna do a FICM-. I also noticed I have the wrong coolant in my truck (green).

78f100

Reaction score
If you are not planning on some pretty big power o ringing the heads is kinda overkill imo. Instead I would spend that money on lifters. Sounds like you have a good idea already, I would make sure the oil cooler is a oem, I would do the water pump, and up pipes if you can like they already said. Good luck.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I will second the lifters, and a set of push rods. Maybe do springs since.the heads will be off, and if you plan on bumping up at some point, springs will be a plus. I would recommend orings if you plan on stepping up though as well. Cheap insurance. Local shop around here sends out for machining, and the in house orings for 650, so that ought to give you a ball lark...

And later on down the road, a kc stage 2 with some 190/30s will wake the teuck up while still towing awesome. On a race tune thats about 575 horse fuel only, so there is where your orings and springs will help some...

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I will second the lifters, and a set of push rods. Maybe do springs since.the heads will be off, and if you plan on bumping up at some point, springs will be a plus. I would recommend orings if you plan on stepping up though as well. Cheap insurance. Local shop around here sends out for machining, and the in house orings for 650, so that ought to give you a ball lark...

And later on down the road, a kc stage 2 with some 190/30s will wake the teuck up while still towing awesome. On a race tune thats about 575 horse fuel only, so there is where your orings and springs will help some...

Which springs lifters and pushrods you recommend? 575rwhp fuel only correct? Will the stock trans hold that power?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I put rcd stuff in mine. Make sure you dont mix and match with lifters and pushrods. We did on my buddies due to what the.shop had in stock, and elite push rods were longer than thercd ones. They hung valves open slightly, truck ran like chit... And yes that is rwhp. Stock trans so far is living at slightly higher than that on mine, knock on wood.... I probably wouldnt count on it surviving very long, depending on maintenance, but mine has been at or above.that setup for about a year, and.tows a 38ft 15ishK toy hauler. A lot of trans survival is in tuning.

That setup with water meth dynoed 615 and backed up atthe track with a 12.681.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I put rcd stuff in mine. Make sure you dont mix and match with lifters and pushrods. We did on my buddies due to what the.shop had in stock, and elite push rods were longer than thercd ones. They hung valves open slightly, truck ran like chit... And yes that is rwhp. Stock trans so far is living at slightly higher than that on mine, knock on wood.... I probably wouldnt count on it surviving very long, depending on maintenance, but mine has been at or above.that setup for about a year, and.tows a 38ft 15ishK toy hauler. A lot of trans survival is in tuning.

That setup with water meth dynoed 615 and backed up atthe track with a 12.681.

12.68 @ what MPH ? You run that on a IDP tune?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
106 flat, 7630lbs. CCLB no tailgate or spare, 65 psi in 35in all terrains. That was on idp xtreme x with yhe water meth on.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
106 flat, 7630lbs. CCLB no tailgate or spare, 65 psi in 35in all terrains. That was on idp xtreme x with yhe water meth on.

Good MPH what DA was that in? I weighed mine....7100 with me in it. I do wanna make it run good without ruining reliability and towing. What oil and coolant do you run?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have no idea what da. Track is about 1100 ft, dont rember temps or anything like that. I dont get real technical, just line up and have fun. :tree: :)

I run motorcraft 5/40 synthetic and gold coolant with a coolant filter and factory oil cooler.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I have no idea what da. Track is about 1100 ft, dont rember temps or anything like that. I dont get real technical, just line up and have fun. :tree: :)

I run motorcraft 5/40 synthetic and gold coolant with a coolant filter and factory oil cooler.

Good man. Thats what it's all about. The shop doing the work will split the turbo and clean it. What do you think about doing a wicked wheel while it's apart? They seem cheap,. I have no clue how much they help at least untill I can afford KC Stage 2 and injectors.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My buddy has one in his 03, and says he saw nothing gains wise on it. I would say save your money.

slc6oh

Reaction score
seems like you have the idea good, for me, the 50$ a hole that the local machine shop wanted to o ring the heads was money well spent to me...

I donno if the bpd waterpump is worth it imo.. stockers last how long? I have a gates aftermarket one in mine without issue (hasn't been long though)

ford lifters and 6.4/updated pushrods I felt were also good piece of mind, but I pulled my engine.

regulated return is lots easier to install without the up pipes on/the engine out. haha sense your gonna be balls deep as is.
then the obvious as long as your oil cooler and all that is healthy, you seem to have it figured out man.

id save monies on the turbo till you can get the one you want. modding the stocker don't seem worth it.

Latest posts

Members online