Which turbo setup?!?!?!?!

Sledneck57

Reaction score
Im looking at a few different options and im wanting some input on what turbo setup to get. Elite. Industrial Injection. RCD. Swamps. Im looking at a 71 low pressure and 58 or 59 high. Whos running what with what mods and what do you suggest. I want to be running that 600hp range and it be streetable and reliable. Im gonna have stock injectors (maybe 60hp), stock hpfp, fresh pistons, dont know what valvetrain yet, studs, trans, airdog and i cant even remember what else. Also i have a spartan with all the fun tunes right now but what tuning with this setup have you had the best luck with and what other reliablity mods can you suggest. i think im gonna get 6.0 headers and up pipes as well. Thanks in advance

Jgon08

Reaction score
I'd do elite 72mm atmo and 59mm high pressure, stock fuel and ull be 600+, low egts and a very fun truck on stock fuel.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
72/59mm tow power plus combo from Elite. You will make good power and run cool. Very sweet setup.

Sledneck57

Reaction score
So you guys that are saying get the elite chargers and the 72 setup do you have them? Or seen good results? What about the other ones? Not saying elite is at all bad but are they that much better than the others? I appreciate the advice but what are the reasons why this is your suggestions. The reason I say that is I don't see running that kind of hp why I would need a 72 over a 71 LP for the price difference. But please educate me.

White_monster

Reaction score
In the 71mm size there's differences between different brands but not a huge amount. If you want every possible hp from them you get elite turbos since the precision wheel performs the best. The other 3 brands are very comparable and if your trying to stay on a budget they may be a better choice just so you can upgrade other parts at the same time. You won't be disappointed by any of them and if your only looking for 600hp then a set of any if the turbos in the 71mm size with stock fuel will get you there and be totally reliable. Hope this helps.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Didn't testing show like a 40 HP increase by just swapping a 71mm Elite turbo for a 72mm Elite turbo? That was on an otherwise stock truck (tuner, intake, exhaust) with a stock high pressure turbo.

B585Ford

Reaction score
So you guys that are saying get the elite chargers and the 72 setup do you have them? Or seen good results? What about the other ones? Not saying elite is at all bad but are they that much better than the others? I appreciate the advice but what are the reasons why this is your suggestions. The reason I say that is I don't see running that kind of hp why I would need a 72 over a 71 LP for the price difference. But please educate me.

IMO, definitely Elite over Industrial. I don't know enough about the others to make an educated comment. As to 71 vs. 72. I would say look at your goals. I only have experience with the 71 and haven't seen a lot of feedback on the 72 yet. My best guess is the 71 will spool a little quicker and will run slightly reduced EBPs compared to the 72. It appears that the 72 will add more HP (roughly 40 more HP vs. the 71 on stock fuel) and probably would really shine with 60 HP nozzles. Although both will run cooler than stock, I would bet the 72 would run a little cooler (with everything else the same). My best guess is 72 would benefit a little more from a WG and valvetrain upgrade than the 71, although IMO, if you like to hit the skinny pedal hard, I would recommend a WG and valvetrain upgrade for both. With those upgrades (and studs) along with the normal supporting mods you will have a cool running and very reliable setup. I definitely think I would do the 72 if you think you might upgrade the nozzles (now or in the future). From a price standpoint, you may be able to find a used 71 at a decent price with the recent release of the 72.

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
If you are just looking to tow cool and not have to worry about anything, and dont need crazy hp, I would just do the 72mm turbo and leave the stock hp turbo alone. You could also put a batmowheel in the hp turbo and that would also help reduce egt's as well. I would run stock nozzles, 72mm turbo, wastegate, and some springs and pushrods. Springs and pushrods are debatable with the power level, but it is a peice of mind I guess.

Sledneck57

Reaction score
Well I'm building it for piece of mind and ill be doing a valve train upgrade but im kinda stuck on that too. Wayne from elite is supposed to call me tomorrow with some details but i really want to do empires roller rockers. I know im going overboard but i just want the truck to run reliable. If I do a stock hp and 72 lp is that gonna spool good though?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Well I'm building it for piece of mind and ill be doing a valve train upgrade but im kinda stuck on that too. Wayne from elite is supposed to call me tomorrow with some details but i really want to do empires roller rockers. I know im going overboard but i just want the truck to run reliable. If I do a stock hp and 72 lp is that gonna spool good though?

It will spool amazing.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Ya it will still spool really good. It may even spool faster than stock with that batmowheel in the hp turbo. EGT's will be down quite a bit with this setup as well. :rockon:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Ya it will still spool really good. It may even spool faster than stock with that batmowheel in the hp turbo. EGT's will be down quite a bit with this setup as well. :rockon:

Now that I have 10k miles on my setup, I feel confident in saying the 71, 6.0 exhaust manny with Elite up pipes, and ported intake manny spools quicker than stock. On stock fuel, do you all think the 72 will spool quicker than the 71? Does everyone agree that EBPs will be a little higher on the 72 vs 71 if he is running the stock HP turbo (at or near WOT)?

I been amazed at how much my EGTs have dropped....I would assume the 72 will run even cooler.

B585Ford

Reaction score
B585. Why elite over II tp's? Haven't heard anything bad about them. Just the whole II hpfp fiasco.

I should note there are several guys with II turbos that do love them. I admit that my opinion may be tainted by the II HPFP, but that does make me more cautious in getting anything from II that isn't know to be bulletproof since they didn't honor warranties with the HPFPs. I can't remember the exact thread where I read it, but I read where at least 2 trucks developed shaft play on the 6.4 and neither of them were over 700 HP. Also, from guys I run around locally who have a Cummins, I have heard of problems they have had with II turbos. Obviously, a Cummins is not a direct comparison, but that is too many negatives IMO to take a chance with II turbos...especially given the reasonable price (IMO) of the 71 and 72 from Elite.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I've run both the 71 and 72 from Elite and the spoolup of each turbo is almost identical to stock. If I had to say which spooled quicker, I would probably lean toward the 71/72, but that may just be the difference in low end power. Who knows. The 72 does make quite a bit more power than the 71. I would expect 30+ horsepower between the 2. Also, the 72 does drop EGTs 50* or so even over the 71. You really couldn't go wrong with either, but if you can swing the 72 setup, do it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.