White smoke... Blow by?

BlueBonnet

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for the long post. It's a lot to read but it takes a lot of words to explain lol... My 95 7.3 is blowing a little bit of white smoke, and not just on start up. It's not dumping a huge amount, just enough to be noticeable and annoying. When driving there is a light haze and when idling it doesn't really do it much, sometimes it does a little, sometimes it doesn't at all. When I pat the gas it blows a little puff of white and when I take off from a stop. When i get on it when driving, sometimes it just dumps all black from start to finish but sometimes itll be a little light in color at first for a split second then dark black. I know I have some blow by, with the oil cap off it will chug some smoke out the hole but it isn't too crazy, I've seen worse. If I lay the oil cap over the hole upside down, it lifts it a little bit and hops slightly, but my engine shakes quite a bit too so that doesn't help much with the test. I have new stage 2 injectors, efuel and, TW tunes. I think I might have a slight air leak in the fuel system at the filter but I'm not too sure, I haven't investigated it too hard yet. When the chip was burned I had it burned for a D66 turbo, the one I'm running now is still stock, I'll have the other turbo soon and wanted to avoid sending the chip off again. My truck started doing this before the new injectors and everything else but my old injectors were shot and only working half ass so I figured that was the problem. With all that being said, what do you think is causing the white smoke. I'm sure the blow by, possible leak, and tuning for a bigger turbo could all cause this individually but I'm just hoping it isn't from blow by. How much is too much to cause this? Would the CCV mod help a little if it is from blow by? I'm going to pull the chip and see if it stops to eliminate that possibility.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Do the CCV mod. It will keep you from covering a pretty new turbo with oil. White smoke is usually fuel unburnt. You are running really rich and don't have the air to burn it. You need to put the turbo on.

I'm not a 100% sure on the damage your truck will do to itself, but a tuner/vendor would.
Also if blowing white smoke, make sure your oil level doesn't go up. That means you are dumping fuel into your oil.
Check your computer for codes. Check your injector harnesses. Also make sure your fuel is food. If it is leaking fix it right away. Also ensure your ICP and IPR are functioning correctly.

Last edited:

BlueBonnet

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in my first post that I also put a new te500 hpop with a new ipr, new icp, ford cps, glow plugs, and all new uvch. I pulled the harness out yesterday and soldered new uvch pig tails to the harness, ipr pig tail, and icp pig tail. The fuel pressure is set at 65psi. Truck runs excellent, plenty of power, and great throttle response. Starts right up with the bump of the key. I have nothing to complain about other than the little bit of white smoke.

Latest posts

Members online