Why did I ever get bigger tires?

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Just got 17.1 MPG with my flat bed big TeX with a accord on the back. Getting almost 20 on the hwy and 16 in city daily driving with my summers tires on. Took my 35s off and dang. Back to 570 miles on a tank of fuel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Kinda look like skate board wheels as a friend put it.
3ygamysu.jpg
y8unu6a6.jpg

jaybuller

Reaction score
hahah, yeah my truck does the same with tires. I have 2 sets. a set of 265s and a set of 305 at's, the 305s on I get 16 to 17, with the 265 michillens I get 19 to 20. makes all the difference in the world. im sure with 35s I would only get 15 or less. but then again I hate the look of my 265s but I run them 8 months out of the year. I only run my 305 bfgs from oct. through jan.. basically hunting seasons when I go off road a lot.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Why?

No it hasn't.

Also my egt temps are way low now which means I can rip in it more.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Why?

No it hasn't.

Also my egt temps are way low now which means I can rip in it more.

It means if the ABS kicks on the "pulse" is not gonna be correct *potentially* causing braking issues, and the speedometer/odometer will be off.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No issues here. Been running 40's, 38, 37, 35s since new. My speedo is off as is my.odometer but no.abs.issues.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Ya!

Never seen an issue with anyone running larger tires from my view as a mechanic of 15 years. Only seen issues with speedo/abs when the sensor is corrupted or bad. Been running larger tires on truck since I've owned it.

Thanks tho.

What the theory of the abs sensor and larger tires?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Ya!

Never seen an issue with anyone running larger tires from my view as a mechanic of 15 years. Only seen issues with speedo/abs when the sensor is corrupted or bad. Been running larger tires on truck since I've owned it.

Thanks tho.

What the theory of the abs sensor and larger tires?

It's not a theory. When the ABS kicks on, it "allows" a certain amount of rotation of the tires as the abs pulsates the brakes. Obviously putting significantly larger OR smaller tires effects how the ABS is working because it is not adjusting for the size difference (and pulse difference) when the system turns on.

Properly adjusting the ABS module fixes all 3 issues. Speedo, ODO, and ABS.

Zmann

Reaction score
ABS module been adjusted each time you switched tire sizes?

your ABS sensors only check to see if the rear axle and front L/R
tires spin at the same speeds

they don't know or care bout tire size unless you running weird sizes front to rear

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've played around with the speedo settings quite a bit with AE adjusting for larger tires for my truck and my buddies. The ABS system seems to be adaptive as well. We drove my buddies truck with 40"tires on it, except he got a flat the day we needed to adjust the speedo. So one stock tire went on the front right. ABS was so out of whack like that from the different diameters, the small tire kept locking up and ABS pulsing, but the more we drove it the more it cleared up. By the time we got back to the house ABS worked like normal, our at last as normal as possible with that setup. We drove on back dirt roads as well.

As for mileage, I gained a little in mine going to 35s, but it sees mostly highway driving. Lowered rpms enough to make a small difference. My mileage has never been spectacular though. 15 or so.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.