Why does the steering feel so loose?

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
My f350 feels like the steering wheel can spin 360 degrees before you turn the wheels. Yes I'm over exaggerating. Is it all fords or can I do something to tighten it up? I have dual steering stabilizers icon track bar. I'm ordering the ouo stabilizer solid mount. Just doesn't make any sense why it doesn't feel tight. I also know it's not sports car. Any ideas or suggestions

joe d

Reaction score
What year truck? What size tires how many miles? Without knowing more all i can say is red head stearing box... Man you wont believe how it turns after.. Good luck

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
First thing is get under it and visually inspect for any torn boots on any of the joints, if everything looks good jack the front of the truck up enough to get the tires off of the ground and feel for slop in any of the steering joints..

If everything seems nice and tight then it's probably your steering box, or u-joint in the steering shaft (less likely on a newer truck)

Steering stabilizers won't do anything for worn components. Anywhere that has really bad roads like we do here in Michigan steering components can go bad in under 50,000 miles.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The steering box can be adjusted. It doesn't need replaced typically. On top here's a nut that goes on top of an Allen head bolt. That bolt goes into the worm gear and as time goes on gets worn.

First I would have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth and you go look and see what joints have play. And replace them. Then I would tighten the set screw, first test time 1/2 a turn in. And after 1/4 turn each. If you get it too tight you will destroy your box. Best way to check it is put the axle on stands. With the truck running turn lock to lock and make sure there are no hard spots. Or the box doesn't make any funny sounds. Take it for a ride and feel the amazement.

sootie

Reaction score
The steering box can be adjusted. It doesn't need replaced typically. On top here's a nut that goes on top of an Allen head bolt. That bolt goes into the worm gear and as time goes on gets worn.

First I would have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth and you go look and see what joints have play. And replace them. Then I would tighten the set screw, first test time 1/2 a turn in. And after 1/4 turn each. If you get it too tight you will destroy your box. Best way to check it is put the axle on stands. With the truck running turn lock to lock and make sure there are no hard spots. Or the box doesn't make any funny sounds. Take it for a ride and feel the amazement.

adjusting the steering boxes on these trucks is a bad idea.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
adjusting the steering boxes on these trucks is a bad idea.

To each their own. My 2002 I drove from new until 310,000 miles. I never replaced the box. I had to adjust it once. My truck I have now has 250,000 and I had to adjust it once. The problem is only when you over tighten that bolt. That's why you take small steps. And not go farther than necessary.

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
My truck is a 2014 f350 4x4 with 28,000 miles. All VoLTE are tight I did take it to ford they say it's normal but I can't see how

joe d

Reaction score
Go to the ford dealer and test drive a new one same make and year if u can see if its the same if its not find a new dealership to do your work.

Latest posts

Members online