Wicked wheel or no?

firehunter

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my stock turbo as I write this and have the option of putting the wicked wheel back on it or putting the stock SD wheel on it. I hear the stock wheel flows a bit more air and I need all I can get up here in elevation. I have never had an issue with surge - ever. Stock injectors, 1.0 exhaust housing.

What do ya think?

Tonka350

Reaction score
if you've never had an issue with surge I wouldn't worry about it. mine did help but it mainly effected the sound of the turbo, between my IC foil delete and my wicked wheel I can tell a huge difference in sound.

Chad

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I have a van turbo at home that needs rebuilt. $400 plus shipping ($25ish), includes exhaust adapter - so it'll drop right in.

This was a modest improvement over stock turbo in my X. It is a little (very little) slower to spool, but moves more air than stocker and no EBPV or WG really makes for a clean look under hood. With Brian's '100hp' tune this charger made 324hp and in 60tow I simply cannot get it over 1100* (below 5000ft...) even at +20k GCW.

For your original question - NO WW, unless you need a bandaid for surge!

firehunter

Reaction score
Hey Bud , if you're staying stock I got two healthy ones on the shelf at home. I could get you one shipped quick.

That is a helluva offer. Gotta love the diesel community. Thanks but I found a replacement here locally so I can get the truck back on the road.

I have a van turbo at home that needs rebuilt. $400 plus shipping ($25ish), includes exhaust adapter - so it'll drop right in.

Thanks for the offer but I ran a van turbo on my truck for many years and loved it until I moved to higher elevations where it was "annoyingly" laggy. I even tried it on the wife's truck because hers is an auto and runs higher in the rpm's and it still wasn't working for us, especially when towing. So I compromised and run the 1.0 housing with the same adapter as the van turbo for free flow and it works well.

I appreciate the input about the wheel too. I have both wheels (stock and WW) sitting here next to each other so it is just a matter of figuring out which one to put back on. Both are in great shape.

Cheers! :blitzed:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but I ran a van turbo on my truck for many years and loved it until I moved to higher elevations where it was "annoyingly" laggy.

I never ran that turbo over 5k ft, but I can totally see that being true - especially with the 6spd ;) Having spent quite a bit of time at 7-10k ft, I completely understand its another world up there!!

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Very happy with my wicked wheel. Before it would shift to OD, lock the tc and flutter to the point of me letting off. Now it's clean boost and will not flutter in the least bit. Seems like I'm loosing boost psi but it is a cleaner spool than before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dietoremain

Reaction score
Very happy with my wicked wheel. Before it would shift to OD, lock the tc and flutter to the point of me letting off. Now it's clean boost and will not flutter in the least bit. Seems like I'm loosing boost psi but it is a cleaner spool than before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'd say there would be a tiny bit of boost loss since technically a WW is less efficient.. yet in the end saves the turbo lol.

firehunter

Reaction score
Everything is back together with a SD wheel in it and boost is definitely up and comes on sooner. Should have ditched the WW a long time ago. Should have rebuilt or replaced the turbo along time ago as well.

Latest posts

Members online