Window tint alternative

strokin64l

Reaction score
I have my front passenger windows tinted at 20%. I have received one ticket already being that it's illegal were I live. What is out there for alternatives to window film? ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There is a company that makes a film that goes on just like tint but you can adjust the darkness from like 5% to 50% by your smartphone

strokin64l

Reaction score
I have my front passenger windows tinted at 20%. I have received one ticket already being that it's illegal were I live. What is out there for alternatives to window film? ?

There is a company that makes a film that goes on like tint that you can control the darkness from 5% to 50% by using an app on a smart phone

NY_Mott

Reaction score
^^ that's a movie, so even if I did I would not think it was real. But iv always wondered about that two way window like in the line up room in police stations. But then again also on t.v. so never thought it would be availible to automotive.

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
I don't have the quote in front of me, but it was going to be about 150 for each window.

There also was a charge for the dc converter, but I don't remember the cost.

I know it is a lot more than normal tint, but the first and only tint ticket I got was for $250 so if this keeps me out of trouble for that, the cost is well spent in my opinion.

Plus the added benefit that the window will be completely blacked out when the truck is parked, so should cut down on the sun heating up the interior and also keep prying eyes from seeing in.
Wow, way cheaper than I expected. I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat after the 7 tickets I've gotten, last one being 500 and a date in court.

BK39

Reaction score
I was laughing when I first read this thread, but the longer it goes on, there's actually some pretty useful info in here.

To the OP, I see you are now looking in to the "smart film". Be sure you ask about the warranty/life expectancy of the product, and be sure to tell them if the truck stays outside in the sun majority of the time. I deal with a product very similar to this film, and it's life expectancy in the sun is not very good. I want to say it's only like 5-7 years outdoor, 10 years indoor. So you may want to check that out.

leland88

Reaction score
I was laughing when I first read this thread, but the longer it goes on, there's actually some pretty useful info in here.

To the OP, I see you are now looking in to the "smart film". Be sure you ask about the warranty/life expectancy of the product, and be sure to tell them if the truck stays outside in the sun majority of the time. I deal with a product very similar to this film, and it's life expectancy in the sun is not very good. I want to say it's only like 5-7 years outdoor, 10 years indoor. So you may want to check that out.

Never thought of that thanks

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I spoke with a rep at smart tint.

Sounds like a nice product and the cost is no where near what I expected. (Much cheaper)

I have a local guy that I have always had tint my vehicles and he is looking into doing the install for me with smart tint on my Excursion. Will be doing 20% around the entire rear of the vehicle, which combined with the factory tint will get me really close to 5% limo tint. Then installing the smart tint on the front 2 doors.

Maryland law for my Ex only limits the front 2 doors to 50% so hopefully this will get me around that or worst case I will have to limit it to 50% when driving, but when I park and turn the truck off, it will black out to keep the heat out of my leather seats.

50% in Md on the fronts? Had a tint guy tell me 35% was legal. I never asked my uncle or looked it up though

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
The ticket that I got specified the code that stated 50%. I also checked with a state trooper buddy of mine and he said that there is a "grey area" of allowance for manufacture variation and testing so 35% is usually ok, but the cop nailed me for it anyway.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
The ticket that I got specified the code that stated 50%. I also checked with a state trooper buddy of mine and he said that there is a "grey area" of allowance for manufacture variation and testing so 35% is usually ok, but the cop nailed me for it anyway.

Got ya. I've been thinking about seeing if Md has where I can get an "Rx" for darker tint so I don't have to worry about it. I'm very light sensitive, so it wouldn't be an issue to get

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
They do, but it is only good for you. That is where they will get you. Say you get your windows tinted darker due to your Rx.

Perfectly legal.

Your wife drives your truck without the same Rx.

She gets a ticket.

Main reason why I really want to pursue the adjustable tint. It "may" end up darker than 50% due to operator error, but hopefully adjusting it properly will resolve the issue instead of getting a repair ticket where it has to be removed.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
No wife, and no one else drives my truck, and I don't loan it out. Only other person who might would be my dad, but he has his 250. But good to know they do

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Ya just FYI.

I was the same way when it was on the road, but find with getting married and getting older I am not as strict about that as I used to be.

Also should state that my truck is nothing special now except will be clean and in good shape once I finish it. Only a little more power than stock and safe enough that anyone could drive it.

pnasty

Reaction score
custom smoked glass. used to be able to order stuff like that from texas. my sis bought a lil blazer down there and from the factory it had the privacy glass darkness on the fron side door glass and a smoked windshield. tell the officer it is factory glass tht way.. no tint to remove..

live life full throttle

doesn't matter if its from the dealer, all they care about is the number on their little light transmission gauge. My old expedition had the same thing and I got countless tickets

higherlife

Reaction score
Double 5% on rear glass and back 2 windows. 35% on front two, windshield and sun roof. Can't see in my truck on the sunniest of days. You got to love the south.
And getting an rx won't work with cops. You will have to go to court to show them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.