Won't run with Scanner plugged in

KPSquared

Reaction score
2001 bone stock. Runs well.

As soon as you plug a scanner in, the truck won't start. Plug it in while it's running and it dies. Tried multiple c scanners and an OBDlink dongle.

No codes KOEO

Any thoughts?

DWhite

Reaction score
I know this isn't the 6.4 section but I had a similar issue with my AE scanner back a few years ago. Once plugged it the truck would do crazy things and blink all the dash lights then die if running. I ended updating the scanner to a newer version.

They told me the problem was something on the can bus communication flipping it out. I've seen cheaper scan tools cause issues and do weird things.

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
I have seen CAN wires reversed at the diagnostic port from the factory that cause strange things to happen once a diagnostic tool is plugged in. I don't work on Ford's, but it could cause the same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
What brand of scanner(s) were you using? As mentioned above, I have seen this occur on many trucks when they are attempting to use a cheap scanner, or an app with the Bluetooth OBDII connector. It happens all the time with the OBS trucks especially.

lilhead1988

Reaction score
So if you have a good scanner and the problem is still there then could it be in the pcm?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Overdrive

Reaction score
Neither if my trucks worked with cheap scanners. Cheap being the 150 dollar ones. I went with a autenginuity scanner

Latest posts

Members online