Won't start

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
Okay, got my motor ready to go and get in the cab and the ignition won't even turn over the starter, but if I go up to passenger fender I can get it to turn over with a screw driver, any suggestions?? 96 powerstroke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
are you getting signal to the solenoid in the fender? if so the solenoid is bad.

I believe so? It will crank over with a screw driver but not the actual ignition, also on my fuse box main wiring, I only have one trans wiring on it, this truck use to be an idi, I swapped dashes, under the hood wiring and all, I was thinking that the one plug missing from the trans is a neutral safety??

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
using the screw drive is manually jumping power from the constant 12v to the starter. so either the solenoid is bad or you have no signal power jumping the solenoid itself. you need to have someone turn the key while you check it with a voltmeter to see if you are getting it or not. if your not then start looking at wiring or neutral safety switches.

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
using the screw drive is manually jumping power from the constant 12v to the starter. so either the solenoid is bad or you have no signal power jumping the solenoid itself. you need to have someone turn the key while you check it with a voltmeter to see if you are getting it or not. if your not then start looking at wiring or neutral safety switches.

I'll try that, just ready to be on the road again

ghohouston

Reaction score
Its only got two big studs, one should have power from the battery and when you have someone turning on the key, you should get power to the other post. It makes sense in my head at least. It should make sense, I mean youre obviously getting power to one large post, and when you jump ot to the other post with a screwdriver, youre energizing the other. Find out which one has constant power, the other should habe power while trying to crank.

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
the smallest wire should only have power when cranking. one big wire will have constant 12v from battery. and the other big wire will have 12v when cranking IF the signal wire sent power to jump it while cranking

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
I think it's my main wiring harness under the hood, cause there are supposed to be 2 transmission wiring plugs that come like right off the fuse box, but my wiring only had 1, the truck we got it out of the guy did a hack job on the wiring so it's best to ditch it anyways, also how many quarts does the e4od hold??

Latest posts

Members online