xrf tie rods anyone using them?

zilla68

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that some of you guys on here are using them. I did a search for xrf and nothing came up.

quality?
I'm going to replace the entire front tie rod set up, this set from orielly's didn't last me but 7 years, but probably doesn't have more than 8k on them.

Issue is I'm getting a bad noise when you turn the wheel back and forth. I just did axle seals and thought it was maybe a wheel bearing, but all was good, noise is still there. It sounds like its coming from passenger side, but then again it sounds like the drivers side laying underneath it. really hard to pinpoint this.
I don't see excessive play in anything up front, like I did on my jeep when I had issues, they were pretty much in plain sight.

I'm going to pull the old tie rods off and see if there's any play in them I'm not seing by someone turning the steering wheel while I lay underneath it.

just want to get some part numbers ready to order if anyone has used the xrf set up with good success.

Peroni

Reaction score
I've had them on my truck for about 5yrs now now, probably 40K on them. No issues other than I can not keep a dust boot on pass side tie rod end.

genie144

Reaction score
I've had on my OBS, '02, Excursion, and 2010. I've put on a half dozen trucks that aren't mine. I've never replaced a single part. If you do it, is replace everything - ball joints and tie rod (only way I'll do it). For the price, it can't be beat.

Sam

Reaction score
I have XRF on the 96. Looking back I would probably buy TRW or something else.

I haven't had any problems except with tie rod roll. This is a unique problem to 87-97 D60 front ends. I use a poly "washer" between the right tie rod and knuckle to control tie rod roll. I think my 91 has Moog or TRW and it has a nice flat area to put the poly washer.

On the 96 I had to machine a set of "cup" washers to make the poly washer work. It does work and everything is OK now, but it was a pain to get there.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Just an update to this thread. My truck has a Dana 60 and I installed XRF steering components about 40,000 miles ago. My tie rod ends are done, clunking and won't hold an alignment. Time to replace them.

Rusty

joe d

Reaction score
I cant keep a set of tie rod ends from rolling the tie rod front to back causing play so to speak in the wheel any advise on how to fix it i have a single stabilizer maybe i need to go to a duel..

79jasper

Reaction score
I heard the rolling is normal-ish. Some people have made nylon shims for the tie rods to prevent it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I cant keep a set of tie rod ends from rolling the tie rod front to back causing play so to speak in the wheel any advise on how to fix it i have a single stabilizer maybe i need to go to a duel..

"I heard the rolling is normal-ish. Some people have made nylon shims for the tie rods to prevent it. "

Guess I forgot how to do multiple quotes.....

I ended up making a pair of washers set up to hold a piece of an Energy Suspension poly bushing between the tie rod and knuckle. No tie rod roll for several years now. Have some photos somewhere.....

My XRF parts have about 40-50k miles on them no issues. Except the comments i made on it being harder to set up the anti roll washer.

joe d

Reaction score
"I heard the rolling is normal-ish. Some people have made nylon shims for the tie rods to prevent it. "

Guess I forgot how to do multiple quotes.....

I ended up making a pair of washers set up to hold a piece of an Energy Suspension poly bushing between the tie rod and knuckle. No tie rod roll for several years now. Have some photos somewhere.....

My XRF parts have about 40-50k miles on them no issues. Except the comments i made on it being harder to set up the anti roll washer.

Pictures if possible please my ocd is killing me with this ****.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Well, cash is tight. Not enough dough for that Carrick setup. I was able to replace with Moog part #'s DS1071 and ES3009R. Much better, but still will need to address the drag link as soon as I can save up.

The right outer TRE (Moog DS1071) came with dust boot/bushing to address the roll. So far so good, it's much better. Here's a pic.

Rusty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 92

joe d

Reaction score
How much rool did it take out if its alot or a huge difference ill be buying the moog today.

rusty1161

Reaction score
How much rool did it take out if its alot or a huge difference ill be buying the moog today.

The old parts could be rolled back and forth by hand, not possible now. My drag link still needs attention and clunks. Overall, I would estimate 75% reduction with the work done so far.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.