zf 6 info

rascal

Reaction score
Good info here. I plan to use Midwest when I need my tranny rebuilt. I would like to do the 6.0 input shaft.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Barnbuilder, I bought a complete reman unit, although they do sell some parts, I guess. These cases are quite involved to work on , or so I'm told, and requires some specialized tools. I didn't have the time or inclination to learn that much about them ,myself
I think sogrand represents Midwest on this forum, he could help you out.

Rascal, I talked to Chris at Midwest about the 6 litre style input, I think he said around three bills to do the work on the case? Personally, I think the pilot bearing is a bigger problem. It's a piece of sh!t! More specifically, the seal system on the bearing, which seems to fail rapidly, allowing debris to trash the needles. The 303 style bearing is bigger overall, but after 1 1/2 yrs, it was crunchy, for lack of a better word. That's why I went to a bushing. On my flywheel, it required some machine work, but on a stock flywheel, there is a direct replacement available. If your interested, pm me for details, as my clutch guy is not a sponsor here. He's local to me tho, and been doing this longer than most people on this forum have been around!

rascal

Reaction score
Rascal, I talked to Chris at Midwest about the 6 litre style input, I think he said around three bills to do the work on the case? Personally, I think the pilot bearing is a bigger problem. It's a piece of sh!t! More specifically, the seal system on the bearing, which seems to fail rapidly, allowing debris to trash the needles. The 303 style bearing is bigger overall, but after 1 1/2 yrs, it was crunchy, for lack of a better word. That's why I went to a bushing. On my flywheel, it required some machine work, but on a stock flywheel, there is a direct replacement available. If your interested, pm me for details, as my clutch guy is not a sponsor here. He's local to me tho, and been doing this longer than most people on this forum have been around!

Will do when ready, thanks! DieselSite sells an upgraded Pilot Bearing; might be worth looking into. The following is from the DieselSite page:

Input Shaft Repair Kit - ZF Transmissions
The Input Shaft Repair Kit eliminates the high cost of disassembling the transmission and replacing the input shaft and front bearing and race. The Kit includes a new Pilot bearing with an additional 0.215 wear surface and a high-grade lip seal to keep the lubrication in and dirt out. The repair sleeve is hardened for more durability.

For all 7.3L Diesel Engines with ZF transmissions.

Includes:

•Repair Sleeve For Input Shaft
•New Pilot Bearing
•Installation Driver
Installation Driver makes the job easy.

1. Remove the OEM pilot bearing.

2. Install the new pilot bearing using the Installation Driver with a standard bushing driver handle.

3. Insert the tapered end of the sleeve into the Installation Driver tool. With the bushing driver handle in place, drive the sleeve on to the end of the input shaft until it bottoms out.

psduser1

Reaction score
Barnbuilder, I'm into this trans for about 3400$ with shipping. I won't know what they will deduct for the core charge till the mechanics at Midwest can inspect my trans, as it has some internal damage.

Rascal, that's pretty much what Midwest does with their input shafts, if they are torn up. The biggest problem with the 7.3l zf is the fact that replacement parts are hard to get, so the cores are thoughly inspected, and good parts, however they are judged, are salvaged.
Just another reason to go to an auto, imo.

7.3 cowboy, I talked at great length with Chris and Dan before I actually bought this case. At no point did they mention aftermarket parts as voiding the warranty. Both seemed quite knowledgeable about modded diesels, and in fact asked what my hp goals and intended use was. They didn't blink at 500 hp, or 20k rare weight.
Honestly, I didn't buy this for the warranty, although theirs is excellent. If this case comes apart, I'll do something different. The cost to go auto is a bit higher, but the time factor got me this time around!:fustrate:

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
7.3 cowboy, I talked at great length with Chris and Dan before I actually bought this case. At no point did they mention aftermarket parts as voiding the warranty. Both seemed quite knowledgeable about modded diesels, and in fact asked what my hp goals and intended use was. They didn't blink at 500 hp, or 20k rare weight.
Honestly, I didn't buy this for the warranty, although theirs is excellent. If this case comes apart, I'll do something different. The cost to go auto is a bit higher, but the time factor got me this time around!:fustrate:

I was going off their warranty brochure from their website. But that's good to know

Latest posts

Members online