Zf5 swap

StillStrokin977.3

Reaction score
I found a zf5 for a good deal, and my rig has a e4od right now. I'd like to swap it out eventually when the e4 pukes its guts. Now it is a s5 series 42, I have heard it is not as strong as the 47 is that true? Is there any common problems that you guys have found that with these transmissions? And the guy claims he just had ut rebuilt cause #2 synchro was hanging up. Any help is much appreciated!

bens

Reaction score
42 is rated for 420 ft lbs of torque and 47 is rated for 470 ft lbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oldschool

Reaction score
I was thinking the bolt pattern is different and the input shaft. It was built for a gas engine. But I Can't remember for sure. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Reaction score
A gas ZF5 will not work, different bell housing bolt patterns.

If a person were serious about it and has access to tooling or a machinist, it cam be adapted. 460 bolt pattern has 2 holes that line up and the others can be drilled. typ4 on Oil Burners has done it. Is it worth it? Maybe if the trans was near free. Also gas trans are wide ratio.
As far as the ZF42 being weaker, maybe on paper, maybe on continuous high loads, but for daily driving I prefer the ratios of the 42 over the 47 until the truck is loaded. Then the 47 ratios are better.

Latest posts

Members online