ZF6 behind a 6.0

tbrown1986

Reaction score
I recently sold my 7.3 so now I'm looking at a really clean 6.0. It's a 2006 with a 6 speed. I see that most people have automatics behind their 6.0s. If you could put a manual in your current truck would you? I'm just trying to see manual transmissions are popular still because I usually only keep these trucks for 3 or 4 years. I want to see how marketable manual transmissions are for resale. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I recently sold my 7.3 so now I'm looking at a really clean 6.0. It's a 2006 with a 6 speed. I see that most people have automatics behind their 6.0s. If you could put a manual in your current truck would you? I'm just trying to see manual transmissions are popular still because I usually only keep these trucks for 3 or 4 years. I want to see how marketable manual transmissions are for resale. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Personally wouldn't own an automatic in my truck, but that's just me.. and as others have said I'm definitely in the minority!

Strokin89

Reaction score
I have a zf6 in my truck that's why I bought it. I love a stick behind a diesel! I'd definately go for it. Makes tuning the truck easier too cus you don't have to worry about tuning for the transmission IMO.

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

tbrown1986

Reaction score
This truck is really clean, like scary clean. Its about 350 miles away from me. I just want to be able to get my initial money back out of it. We don't have many 6.0s with a manual behind it around here. I like things that are different.

tbrown1986

Reaction score
Plus I've already done the BTS thing with my 7.3. That was an expensive transmission. I also made the truck shift like a race truck. I think a 6 speed would be pretty cool.

Strokin89

Reaction score
I think you'd be very happy with it my dad had an 03 cc Dually 6.0 with zf6 and iloved it that's one of the reasons I bought mine

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Id love a manual fwiw but isnt the zf6 a pretty weak trans? Or is that just a rumor?
I could see ppl claiming they are weak but at the same time dumping the clutch at every light or slipping the chit out of it on the reg causing pre mature failure.

Strokin89

Reaction score
Mines worked flawlessly knock on wood. I've heard that the clutch is the weak link once you add more power to it. But a clutch is a lot cheaper than a built auto. I saw a truck in a magazine was at 700hp I believe all it had done to the trans was a southbend clutch.

obsdan

Reaction score
I have a 6 speed I'm in the process of doing mild build I'll let you know how it holds. I love it though

djberg

Reaction score
I love mine, and as for for the tranny, so far so good. Clutch on the other hand, well with just ecm and ficm tuning I have gone through two clutches. So plan on a decent chunk of change on a clutch. I will be installing the new organic dual disk in the next week or so, I have it but don't have time to do it. Also prepare for an learning curve, it will take a week or so to get used to the tranny's shifting style.

Also I'm now facing the next issue of speeding up my shifts, with out a waste gate or bov the vgt way of ditching boost is not enough if you are out beating on your truck, you have to slow your shifting way down, when you get a good tune in it or it will surge like a mofo! Thus one of my next steps is a bov and some kind of muffler for it so I don't sound fast n furious.

6speedsd

Reaction score
My 04 had the ZF6 behind it. Was ok as a DD. Getting a load moving from a stop was a bit of a headache. Had to really ride the clutch before it was rolling good. 35's with 18's might have contributed to that though. The one thing I absolutely loved was low range. Used it more than I ever thought I would. I personally love shifting my own gears, but I now have an auto because I couldn't find a manual truck within 400 miles. Took the 04 to three different dealers and they all told me the stick hurt resale. Not much of a market around here, but I imagine it could be different in other parts of the country.

And as mentioned before, don't expect to win many races trying to quick shift that thing. It just won't happen, no matter how smooth you are with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I love standard transmissions, but I couldn't pay a premium for a vehicle with a manual trans when the automatic offering in the same truck is superior to the manual :eek:

Latest posts

Members online