ZF6 Soft Clutch

Willman940

Reaction score
Yesterday after pulling my boat up the ramp in 2nd (whoops), clutch has gradually been feeling softer more often. I'm sure you've heard this before, feels like there's nothing behind it it will engage/disengage every once in-awhile. But not on command.

I used the Search feature and originally thought I had it diagnosed as the slave cylinder but after reading through multiple threads and seeing the multitude of problems with the recommended ford kit, and not being entirely confident in myself to not drop the push rod into the bell-housing, I thought would question those with experience.

Could it be the clutch fork?

Especially since none of the ford dealerships part/service is open due to the holiday, but they will sell you a car.

That being said I have the utmost respect for the men and women who have and will fight and die for my freedom.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
The only thing pulling your boat up the ramp in second will do, is take some life off of your clutch.

Depending on the year of your truck it could be the clutch fork, I believe it was 99 or maybe just the E99's that had a revised clutch fork because some would bend. The clutch hydraulics ford uses are junk, but we're forced to use them. They're junk because its all plastic and it swells when its hot, and swells under pressure and doesn't properly disengage the clutch most of the time. I usually can't get more than a year out of the pre bled master/ slave cylinder assembly before I feel it needs replacing. My guess, if your getting a soft petal and poor shifting/ clutch disengagement, is that its time for a new pre bled master/ slave cylinder. They're a little over $100 from ford.

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
check the little plastic bushing that under the dash that runs from the slave to the clutch pedal they wear out easily and wont disengage the clutch properly and make it feel soft.. and the pre bled assemblies are more like 180-200 bones now from tousleyfordparts.com

Latest posts

Members online