Went Back to a vgt.. review of kc 1.5 turbo

slc6oh

Reaction score
Little back story:

Back in I think it was march, I was ready for headgaskets, when I did em I did the entire deal all at once, studs, o ringd heads, lifters, push rods, regulated return, irate t4 up pipes, borg s362 fmw. back and fourth a few times with a couple different tune companies, and just never really liked the way it towed. ended up with tsd tunes after charlies recommendation and they were the most "right" to date. but still "meh" when towing. I didnt like how easy it would fall off the turbo. Thing made TONS of ice cold power when moving, and TONS of power while towing, as long as above like 2200rpm. it would hold whatever speed up whatever hill as long as your 22oo by bottom of the hill, weather its in od or 5th. Knowing a set of bigger injectors would fix my complaint, I just don't really wanna go down that road... its a daily driver and weekend tow pig figured its best to not mess too much with my ride to work... Got bored and thinking one day to try a nice modded vgt deal...

Got chattin with Buddy Joey @ sob performance and Charlie with kc turbos.
Ultimately landed on going with a kc 1.5....

turbo was packaged great, and looks great, quality seems top notch.

Install was no different if not easier than the stock charger, no need to go into detail there. But even running the spd tune for the 362 truck feels MUCH more nimble. borderline gasser on the throttle response. get the truck into direct with the converter locked. I dare say it makes very close to the same power that the 62 did. it just comes on sooner, and does seem to fade away after like 3500rpm. but by that time the speedo is all but buried.

from a stop a quick stab to 1/2 or 3/4 throttle is a burnout shiit show. lol the 62 took just long enough to get going that traction was never an issue.

kept the spd tune on and towed my sxs (maybe 3000# with the trailer) out to go ride. same load on the s362... would be smoky, hot and frustrating in several spots along the drive... with the 1.5, I never even had to think about anything... the truck did all the work without issue. stayed cool, didnt smoke hardly at all.... I'm pleased.

Have been back and forth with Charlie several times over the last couple weeks and Like the rest of the internet says. His customer service is next to none.

I know the non vgt thing is the craze right now, and I fully see where it has plenty of ups, but to me, in my case, this vgt just works better.

:toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::ford:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Good info there. Someone that has some towing and dd experience with just a turbo change. Very helpful useful information. That helped me decide on the direction I'll be heading for sure.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
horses for courses. glad you got what you wanted. and +1 for charlie .

cRaZy8

Reaction score
I think if you had larger injectors with the 62 you probably wouldnt have had much of an issue towing. I get it, its a big expense, and just isnt for some people.

I have the s362SXE with 175/30's with TSD tunes from Chris/Charlie.
The truck is an absolute towing monster.
Then again, I do have 4.30 gears.

If I get stuck behind a slow car on the highway while towing up a grade, it definitely needs to downshift, otherwise it does get hot and laggy.
RPMs are definitely key.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Let's not forget the questionably poor converter in your trans when you first put that 62 on... My 362 definitely lights earlier than yours ever did, and we have virtually identical trucks. How much time did you give that 62 with the new trans/converter in there?

From the sounds of it a VGT was more of your style regardless, and I'm happy to hear you finally got the truck running like you want it. Would have been nice to see back to back dyno comparisons. I bet that 62 still puts out a lot more air up top and could make more power with the right injector combo, but who knows. Glad you're happy man!

slc6oh

Reaction score
Let's not forget the questionably poor converter in your trans when you first put that 62 on... My 362 definitely lights earlier than yours ever did, and we have virtually identical trucks. How much time did you give that 62 with the new trans/converter in there?

From the sounds of it a VGT was more of your style regardless, and I'm happy to hear you finally got the truck running like you want it. Would have been nice to see back to back dyno comparisons. I bet that 62 still puts out a lot more air up top and could make more power with the right injector combo, but who knows. Glad you're happy man!

i had a solid 2 months on the new converter/new to me trans... was definately better. but still just needed more fuel.. seat of pants dyno says i make just about the same power during 90% of the rpm range so overall im happy...

slc6oh

Reaction score
now all this being said, i know some injectors would have that 62 way ahead of the 1.5, but stock stick for stock stick.... i call em very close

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Im glad you are liking your new setup better. Different strokes for different folks. I am actually starting to get a few people per month who contact us to switch back to a vgt turbo. Some people don't even notice the slower spool up, others end up hating it.

I agree that with more fuel the s362 will make more power. But even with more fuel you just cant beat the spool up of a vgt turbo.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Im glad you are liking your new setup better. Different strokes for different folks. I am actually starting to get a few people per month who contact us to switch back to a vgt turbo. Some people don't even notice the slower spool up, others end up hating it.

I agree that with more fuel the s362 will make more power. But even with more fuel you just cant beat the spool up of a vgt turbo.

Chatham036

Reaction score
Great thread.
I am currently fighting the good fight to decide if going with a VGT is going to be for me or not. I want to be around 600 rwhp with the ability to tow 10,000 lbs without much issue. Plus fuel economy is a benefit

I am currently running a s366sx-e with 225/30 injectors

Part of me wants to go down to a s362sx-e
The other part of me is drooling over Charlie's new ball bearing stage 2

slc6oh

Reaction score
i did however notice better fuel mileage all around on the 62, except towing. even towing my utility trailer and can am around on the 62 would be knocking on the single digits . towing or driving round town on my 1.5 seems to be a fairly consistent 13.5... meh. havent drove straight freeway with it not towing yet to see where im at compared to the 21 i got with the 62... my guess is the stage 1.5 is making power more frequently thus using more fuel . haha

Chatham036

Reaction score
i did however notice better fuel mileage all around on the 62, except towing. even towing my utility trailer and can am around on the 62 would be knocking on the single digits . towing or driving round town on my 1.5 seems to be a fairly consistent 13.5... meh. havent drove straight freeway with it not towing yet to see where im at compared to the 21 i got with the 62... my guess is the stage 1.5 is making power more frequently thus using more fuel . haha

What was the specs on the s362 you had?
turbine size, a/r, etc

Was it one of the sx-e chargers?

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Great thread.
I am currently fighting the good fight to decide if going with a VGT is going to be for me or not. I want to be around 600 rwhp with the ability to tow 10,000 lbs without much issue. Plus fuel economy is a benefit

I am currently running a s366sx-e with 225/30 injectors

Part of me wants to go down to a s362sx-e
The other part of me is drooling over Charlie's new ball bearing stage 2

I've been really happy with my 205/30/S2 combo and am sitting right at 600 fuel only, with 625ish on W/M and just under 700 with spray. With the smaller injector size, max weight towing is just a tune away, but heat is still a little bit of issue for me so I have to keep an eye on things when towing heavy. I keep drooling over that new S2 too......can't wait to see what he comes out with to keep the surging down and just making a nasty little turbo. I keep asking him if he needs testers but I think he's playing this one pretty close to the chest.

This was what I towed up to Alligator's Hunting4Horsepower event. Combined weight of just under 21k, with about 450 miles of hilly highway in-between. There were a couple grades that I had to slow down and take it easy on, since I didn't like the 1350+ on my gauge lol. Got there, unloaded, changed to my pulling tune, and pulled a solid 2nd place in the 2.5 class and put some other folks to shame. Loaded back up and towed home, and no issues.
20160912_164311_zpsppmivmfv.jpg

20160909_102834_zpsuf7rqvbd.jpg

Last edited:

slc6oh

Reaction score
What was the specs on the s362 you had?

turbine size, a/r, etc

Was it one of the sx-e chargers?

Was a 62/68 in a .83 divided t4 housing. Just a regular sx? With the fmw. I added a 360 thrust to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatham036

Reaction score
Was a 62/68 in a .83 divided t4 housing. Just a regular sx? With the fmw. I added a 360 thrust to it though.

On a WOT run, do you know off hand what your back pressure would settle at?

slc6oh

Reaction score
on the current stage 1.5, same hot tune, ebp will come up quick then boost catches it, then it seems like they even out at not a bunch more than 1:1

slc6oh

Reaction score
So heres off idle, converter bot locking in 4th and pretty sure spinning, makes more boost with converter locked obviousally. Ill try and get a 4th locked vid later https://vimeo.com/187333912