Elite 71mm Review (log information)

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
As many of you know, I recently received my Elite 71mm low pressure turbo. Well it's already on the truck and I have close to 200 miles on the truck testing the new setup. Yesterday, dieseljosh07, uga33, 4tonGT40, and myself got together to tackle the job. I was more or less there for moral support and supervision, but I did help a little. I would like to thank dieseljosh07 for his awesome skills as a diesel tech. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been able to get this done so quick. Thanks buddy! uga33 knowing the front end of my truck like the back of his hand was good because I needed to get my Icon TEI out to ship out tomorrow. And finally, 4tonGT40's ridiculous fab skills were used as well. Those damn heat shields!!! LOL

I would also like to thank Elite Diesel Engineering for providing me with an awesome turbo. JD was a lot of help and was great to deal with, keeping me updated on the turbo. Talk about some great customer service!

Alright, on to the review. All I can really say at this point is.....WOW! I am so pleased with my new setup. There is nothing that I have found that I dislike about the new setup. We did run into some issues with the POS Diamond Eye downpipe that is on the truck, but powerstroker67 is taking care of that little problem this coming week by sending me one of his ceramic coated downpipes. The turbo spools quick, makes some serious boost, and sounds wicked. I didn't think it would have the whistle that it does under load, so that has been a huge bonus. Always nice to get a little extra than you expected. With my current setup (dynoed 594 on Dunbar's last March), I can definitely see 30-40 HP being gained with the 310 tune. I don't want to say my truck will make 630 HP, but seat of the pants it feels so much stronger than before.

Now to the data logs....that I unfortunately forgot to monitor throttle position percentage, so I can't really say how hard I was in it. It was 54* and very low humidity when I performed these logs. Perfect weather!

Data Log 1 - acceleration from 34-72 MPH at what I would consider between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

Max EGT - 1,072*
Max rail pressure held - 25,400 psi
Max boost - 53.7 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 52 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,066*
Max back pressure - 56 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 30.1 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2300 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 38 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 21,950 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 756*

Data log 2 - acceleration from 68-85 MPH at around 3/4 throttle

Max EGT - 1,128.6*
Max rail pressure held - 25,600 psi
Max boost - 54.6 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 60 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,047.6*
Max back pressure - 60 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 53-54 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2170-2240 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 78 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 24,600 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 1009-1050*

Data log 3 - acceleration from 65-92 MPH with the pedal to the floor

Max EGT - 1217.1*
Max rail pressure held - 24,900 psi
Max boost - 55.5 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 59 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,068*
Max back pressure - 65 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 53 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2580 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 91 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 24,700 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 1208*

If there is anything anyone else would like to know, just ask. I can look it up on the data logs I took if I have that particular PID logged. The most boost I have seen was 56 psi and the most back pressure I have seen was 66 psi. This was pushing it as hard as I could from a rolling 70 MPH. Hopefully this review helps others on the fence about a turbo setup and also helps those looking for hard data using a big low pressure turbo matched with the stock VGT. I will post some pictures in a bit when I get them uploaded to my computer.

Thanks,

Jeff@Spartan

dstryr

Reaction score
Awesome timing...been waiting all weekend for this. Sign me up. Can we get a group buy discount going? :)

Spatel23

Reaction score
now thats a proper review!
Its nice to get actual numbers recorded by data logs instead of somebody just saying "it said xx"

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Industrial fuel line clamps that didn't do a damn thing for my harmonic fuel line issue and got in the way of the heat shield....which is where Ricky proved to be handy! LOL

IMG_2416.jpg

The turbo...

IMG_2417.jpg

The turbo and Ricky texting.

IMG_2419.jpg

No Limit elbow

IMG_2421.jpg

No Limit elbow and cold side pipe

IMG_2423.jpg

No Limit cold side pipe

IMG_2424.jpg

No Limit intake elbow and the turbo

IMG_2425.jpg

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
now thats a proper review!
Its nice to get actual numbers recorded by data logs instead of somebody just saying "it said xx"

Thanks buddy. Like I said in the original post, if anyone wants more data from the logs let me know! I have 3 spread sheets loaded with info!

dstryr

Reaction score
How was smoke output compared to pre install of the turbo? If you punched it to the floor did it dump like normal? One of the benefits I've been hearing is that it cleans up all the smoke...

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
How was smoke output compared to pre install of the turbo? If you punched it to the floor did it dump like normal?

Initially yes, but even with the 310 tune it cleans up to a light haze. I rolled into the throttle from 70 MPH earlier today and watched my mirror. There was a quick puff and then it cleaned up completely. I love that about the new setup. 0-60 with the 250 tune tonight was clean as can be. I think the new turbo and No Limit pipe compliment each other VERY nicely!

I've tried the 210, 250, 275, and 310 tunes and all are great with the new setup.

dstryr

Reaction score
That is good to hear...I hate putting a huge cloud out when you go to pass someone. What is the benefit of doing the pipe with the turbo?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
That is good to hear...I hate putting a huge cloud out when you go to pass someone. What is the benefit of doing the pipe with the turbo?

I did the No Limit setup to replace my CFM+ intake elbow and stock cold side pipe. It moves more air than the setup I had before.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I'm so glad you like the new turbo buddy! Send me another video if you er a chance! I'm excited for you to get that thing back to the track! And that no limit pipe in white looks awesome man!

Awesome timing...been waiting all weekend for this. Sign me up. Can we get a group buy discount going? :)

If anyone wants to do a group buy on these pm me and we will make it happen :D

jdgleason

Reaction score
I wonder how long it would take me to do cab on for the first time? Probably all weekend...

For a reference, nathannial can pull turbos, install seals, and have the truck running in about 2.5 hours :D I would plan on 6-8 hours if it's your first time! Not terrible for the reward!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I'm so glad you like the new turbo buddy! Send me another video if you er a chance! I'm excited for you to get that thing back to the track! And that no limit pipe in white looks awesome man!

I'll try and get some videos soon. I love the white under the hood. Shone's truck is where I got the idea. As soon as I get Trevor's 3-link and traction blocks on the truck, I'm headed to the track! I can't wait!

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
I'll try and get some videos soon. I love the white under the hood. Shone's truck is where I got the idea. As soon as I get Trevor's 3-link and traction blocks on the truck, I'm headed to the track! I can't wait!

That white looks awesome Jeff! And.........What about the sled? Liberty's season is coming up! Diesels in dark corners is coming back this year too!

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
sounds like fun, almost wish I hadn't cancelled mine. Oh well, my goody bag will be here soon enough

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Glad to see your happy with it. Seems like you are seeing all the same numbers I am. few pounds higher on the boost/ebp but thats it. Its hard to explain how much different it really is. The power seems to come on much harder and keep pulling longer and harder. And the same thing I also said. You want to say it makes a ton more power than before, but its hard to believe yourself with just a low pressure swap..

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Everything has held up great with a lot of abuse over the last 3 days. I figure abuse it early to make sure it's going to hold up later. LOL

I am having some issues with the boot that connect the CAC pipe with the intake elbow. I am going to take the 3" boot off and replace it with a longer DieselSite boot. It's not blowing off, but it does leak a tad under heavier throttle. It was really bad initially and we got it figured out, but it still allows a little air out from what I can hear.