7 Years in a Ford - New truck - Planning My Build

Rob D

Reaction score
Welp guys - I apologize in advance. This is going to be a long thread - but I think it will really help out some guys new to the 6.0 platform - and allow some old timers who have been around for some time to really give sound advice.

My First 6.0 story:
Some of you may recognize my name around here - others not so much. I have been out of the game for the last couple of years. I bought my first 6.0 back in 2007 and started off back on the nation in '08 so I was around for awhile. Nice to see some of the same names on here still. Anyway here is a quick rundown of what my set up was (just the main upgrades not going to list all the small stuff) The truck had 190s/75 over, studs, powermax, built trans, airdog 2, RR kit with upgraded lines, AFE stage 2 intake, GOGO egr deleted manifold, intake elbow, 4" turbo back exhaust. I ended up having to do 3 HG jobs - first time was because I blew them and that is when I added most of the above mods. Unfortunately I used black onyx gaskets and they blew with less than 10k miles again. So that was round 2. Last time my truck was blowing white smoke all over the place when cold and it appeared my valve train some how got out of alignment so I put a whole new top end on the truck which did not fix the problem. It was finally found that 2 cylinders had low compression at which point I put a new bottom end under the new top end I just bought and sold the truck out of frustration. I had more money into repairs and parts alone than what I sold the truck for.

Having given my nightmare story - I do not know one other guy who went through what I did with their truck, so I think my truck honestly was a factory lemon that I unfortunately got stuck with by tuning it while still under warranty.

Since then I have been in a 2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost and a Dodge 2500 24V Cummins 6 speed. Needless to say both of those trucks lasted less than a year each. I never got over my 6.0 and decided I needed to get back into one - which speaks volumes after what I went through. I am having a 2005 Harley Davidson edition 6.0 shipping from across the country in the next couple weeks. She is stunning - only 38k miles on the clock. Every possible option Ford offered in that model year.

I am starting this thread as a way to get back up to speed on the latest and greatest for the 6.0s. I would like to see if the technology back when I put these parts on my first truck 5+ years ago is outdated and what the best newer systems running today are. I know a lot can change over a couple of years. The truck will eventually be moderately built. HP goals around 500-550 tops. I want this truck to last and not cost me thousands in repairs. I want to make sure I am doing everything right the first time - and only putting the highest quality parts on this truck.

My personal top 10 mods in order of how they will go onto the truck:

1) - New manifold with EGR delete. I see there are a lot of threads here about removal of posts only VS fully ported. Part of me feels like if spending 6 or 700 for a post removed unit - mind as well spend a couple more and do the job 100% the first time. Other side of me says hey - the heads are the next restriction - is it even worth it to spend 1k on a fully ported unit, or should I look at for example Absolute Performance's "mid ground" manifold they have mentioned will becoming available?

2) - Coolant filter - plenty of people have good products for this

3) - Tuning/Monitoring: First truck I had 6 autometer gauges. This time around I am going to go with electronic monitoring - seems like from what I have read today's units are just as accurate as the gauges. Not sure if I want to go with an Xcal3 with a CTS or just the SCT livewire TS. Livewire is cheaper and I like the idea of tuning and monitoring all in one unit...but so many guys prefer the CTS xcal combo. Also the other side is that it might be safer to keep your tuner and monitoring system separate so if one goes down you are not out of both tuning and monitoring.

4) - Turbo back exhaust. Does 5" sound much different than a 4" or is it more of a look thing? Does aluminized hold up as well as T304 Stainless? Being from New England which unfortunately salts the roads - I want the pipes to stay clean.

5) - Fuel system:
A) Seems like more and more people are getting off the FASS and Airdog wagon and building custom systems with A1000s - thoughts?
B) RR kits. I bought the DJ fuel plus back when DJs diesel was still in business. This kit opened up the lines to the front of the heads - and removed the stock regulator assembly which was replaced with the aeromotive regulator. Back then there were huge debates as to whether doing a crossover or also having return lines off the back of the heads was worth it. Also if running an airdog II which is self regulated - does it make sense to just upgrade the lines?

6) - Internals: When it comes times for a stud job - what else are other guys throwing in the top end while the heads are off outside of doing all of the standard updates. Ideas like pushrods, high rev valve springs remote oil coolers etc. - thoughts?

Mod #s 6-9 would all be done at the same time.

7) - Oil/Fuel Filtration. Thoughts on the underhood delete kits with remote replacments for both? I always liked clean and how much room deleting the underhood oil and fuel bowl/filter housings created - but is it worth it?

8) - Turbos: Age old VGT or non-VGT. When I was in the game there was no good non-VGT setups yet. Guys were struggling all over the place with dead spots. I love the sound of non-VGT trucks, but am not interested at all in dead spots and blacking out roads until RPM/boost is built etc. Are we having more success with non-VGT yet? I read/watched the video thread and some others but seems like there is not a fully functional system yet? As far as VGT there are some newer names in the industry putting out some solid VGT turbos - such as Barder for example. MPD seems to also be working on some nice setups.

9) - Injectors: Seem like guys are starting to explore smaller nozzle sizes for same power levels but more but more efficiency - back when I did mine I feel like everyone was 75 or 100 over. I have read a bit on 30 being a more popular choice now. Who are the big injector guys in the game now?

10) - Suspension: I never thought I would be saying this - but after seeing a friends 08 lowered a couple inches - I fell in love. Who makes the best kits for this? Same goes for traction bars - heard great things about OUO. Would love to have smoother shifts after tuning etc.

Thats it for now guys. I am sure there will be more later. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the truck but I will keep this thread updated with information and pictures as I go. Thanks!

Last edited:

04stroker

Reaction score
Welp guys - I apologize in advance. This is going to be a long thread - but I think it will really help out some guys new to the 6.0 platform - and allow some old timers who have been around for some time to really give sound advice.

My First 6.0 story:
Some of you may recognize my name around here - others not so much. I have been out of the game for the last couple of years. I bought my first 6.0 back in 2007 and started off back on the nation in '08 so I was around for awhile. Nice to see some of the same names on here still. Anyway here is a quick rundown of what my set up was (just the main upgrades not going to list all the small stuff) The truck had 190s/75 over, studs, powermax, built trans, airdog 2, RR kit with upgraded lines, AFE stage 2 intake, GOGO egr deleted manifold, intake elbow, 4" turbo back exhaust. I ended up having to do 3 HG jobs - first time was because I blew them and that is when I added most of the above mods. Unfortunately I used black onyx gaskets and they blew with less than 10k miles again. So that was round 2. Last time my truck was blowing white smoke all over the place when cold and it appeared my valve train some how got out of alignment so I put a whole new top end on the truck which did not fix the problem. It was finally found that 2 cylinders had low compression at which point I put a new bottom end under the new top end I just bought and sold the truck out of frustration. I had more money into repairs and parts alone than what I sold the truck for.

Having given my nightmare story - I do not know one other guy who went through what I did with their truck, so I think my truck honestly was a factory lemon that I unfortunately got stuck with by tuning it while still under warranty.

Since then I have been in a 2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost and a Dodge 2500 24V Cummins 6 speed. Needless to say both of those trucks lasted less than a year each. I never got over my 6.0 and decided I needed to get back into one - which speaks volumes after what I went through. I am having a 2005 Harley Davidson edition 6.0 shipping from across the country in the next couple weeks. She is stunning - only 38k miles on the clock. Every possible option Ford offered in that model year.

I am starting this thread as a way to get back up to speed on the latest and greatest for the 6.0s. I would like to see if the technology back when I put these parts on my first truck 5+ years ago is outdated and what the best newer systems running today are. I know a lot can change over a couple of years. The truck will eventually be moderately built. HP goals around 500-550 tops. I want this truck to last and not cost me thousands in repairs. I want to make sure I am doing everything right the first time - and only putting the highest quality parts on this truck.

1) - New manifold with EGR delete. I see there are a lot of threads here about removal of posts only VS fully ported. Part of me feels like if spending 6 or 700 for a post removed unit - mind as well spend a couple more and do the job 100% the first time. Other side of me says hey - the heads are the next restriction - is it even worth it to spend 1k on a fully ported unit, or should I look at for example Absolute Performance's "mid ground" manifold they have mentioned will becoming available?
I would just go ahead with the full blown ported manifold from Absolute. No reason not to go all the way while your there.

Absolute I would recommend again along with their delta line kit.

3) - Tuning/Monitoring: First truck I had 6 autometer gauges. This time around I am going to go with electronic monitoring - seems like from what I have read today's units are just as accurate as the gauges. Not sure if I want to go with an Xcal3 with a CTS or just the SCT livewire TS. Livewire is cheaper and I like the idea of tuning and monitoring all in one unit...but so many guys prefer the CTS xcal combo. Also the other side is that it might be safer to keep your tuner and monitoring system separate so if one goes down you are not out of both tuning and monitoring.
I prefer the xcal and CTS. THe livewire TS in my expierence can be glitchy and the CTS is much easier to read for me and easier to use with a abundance of add ons on the EAS system.

4) - Turbo back exhaust. Does 5" sound much different than a 4" or is it more of a look thing? Does aluminized hold up as well as T304 Stainless? Being from New England which unfortunately salts the roads - I want the pipes to stay clean.
5" has a little deeper tone. We live in a salty area too and 95% of what I sale is alluminized if you keep your truck sprayed off at all the alluminized usually holds up just as well as the T304 from what I have seen anyway.

5) - Fuel system:
A) Seems like more and more people are getting off the FASS and Airdog wagon and building custom systems with A1000s - thoughts?
B) RR kits. I bought the DJ fuel plus back when DJs diesel was still in business. This kit opened up the lines to the front of the heads - and removed the stock regulator assembly which was replaced with the aeromotive regulator. Back then there were huge debates as to whether doing a crossover or also having return lines off the back of the heads was worth it. Also if running an airdog II which is self regulated - does it make sense to just upgrade the lines?

I would just do a RR system. The stock pump I have seen hold pressure with 190cc injectors and just a RR. Plus I think the stock pump is much more reliable than any aftermarket pump. If you wanted to do more I would suggest a sump and lift pump like a 6.4L factory pump or Airdog 100.

6) - Internals: When it comes times for a stud job - what else are other guys throwing in the top end while the heads are off outside of doing all of the standard updates. Ideas like pushrods, high rev valve springs remote oil coolers etc. - thoughts?
We just do the updates and oil cooler every time. Pushrods and valve springs are very good assurance but can be pricey and debatable whether they are worth it or not.

7) - Oil/Fuel Filtration. Thoughts on the underhood delete kits with remote replacments for both? I always liked clean and how much room deleting the underhood oil and fuel bowl/filter housings created - but is it worth it?

Cleans up a lot but not sure if they are worth it. If anything I would do a oil filter bypass kit just to filter better. There is nothing wrong with those kits just pricey and does not really do much.

8) - Turbos: Age old VGT or non-VGT. When I was in the game there was no good non-VGT setups yet. Guys were struggling all over the place with dead spots. I love the sound of non-VGT trucks, but am not interested at all in dead spots and blacking out roads until RPM/boost is built etc. Are we having more success with non-VGT yet? I read/watched the video thread and some others but seems like there is not a fully functional system yet? As far as VGT there are some newer names in the industry putting out some solid VGT turbos - such as Barder for example. MPD seems to also be working on some nice setups.

I prefer the VGT for your goals. Fast spool up, good power all the way through the power band less parts they are just direct drop in etc.... We are a dealer for Barder and his turbos are great! We have had 0 problems make good power and spool as good as stock or better. I really like the 68mm!

9) - Injectors: Seem like guys are starting to explore smaller nozzle sizers for same more but more efficiency - back when I did mine I feel like everyone was 75 or 100 over. I have read a bit on 30 being a more popular choice now. Who are the big injector guys in the game now?

I like the smaller nozzles on daily driven trucks. Make them very streetable,low EGT's, make good power, I really like the way a set of 175/30's run We build all of our injectors and flow test/match them here on a Hartridge HA-230 flow bench. Let me know would love to help you out.

10) - Suspension: I never thought I would be saying this - but after seeing a friends 08 lowered a couple inches - I fell in love. Who makes the best kits for this? Same goes for traction bars - heard great things about OUO. Would love to have smoother shifts after tuning etc.

I would contact Trevor at PMF about this. (Precision metal fab)

Thats it for now guys. I am sure there will be more later. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the truck but I will keep this thread updated with information and pictures as I go. Thanks!

I think that is everything let me know if I can help at all!

Rykan

Rob D

Reaction score
Rykan - thanks for all the info. Kevin McGray is a good friend of mine. Helped me out with my first truck a whole lot. I even crashed on his couch for a couple weeks in between jobs. He has told me to contact you so it is funny you were the first to post up!

Rob D

Reaction score
A few pics!

18.jpg

4.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

6.jpg

Reaction score
congrads on the truck man can't wait to see it for sure

My First 6.0 story:

i would go fully ported to be completely honest i have been doing some testing

sinister FTW

would for sure stick with the regular SCT and use a CTS for gauges thats the set up i run in both my 6liters love it

if going single a 5" always looks great i do know your duals were cool on your other truck too tho up to u

5) - Fuel system:

i am a fan of fass systems now, even tho i have an AD2 on my own truck lol but the new fuel lab filter pump set up is bad ass for sure tho i would look into that

always a good idea to go with high rev springs RCD for sure and push rods as well when doing springs

i personally have a RCD filter relocation kit on the way the reason I'm moving mine so for more room for the compounds

depends on what direction u wana go with the truck man, both are great I'm a fan of non vgt tho just to be different from most people, non vat has deff taken over on hp numbers I'm gunna say for sure and when tuned correctly the spool amazing and run great

9) - Injectors: Seem like guys are starting to explore smaller nozzle sizes for same power levels but more but more efficiency - back when I did mine I feel like everyone was 75 or 100 over. I have read a bit on 30 being a more popular choice now. Who are the big injector guys in the game now?

you pay for what u get, RCD, MPD, Elite is who i would stick with nozzles are becoming smaller because people are doing more testing i feel

best way to do your drop would be no block in the rear and 5.4 coils up front, as for traction bars OUO bars FTW best bars no questions asked

Rob D

Reaction score
Truck should be here by this Sunday. Already have the MBRP 5" over axle dump ordered through Tyler and Sean @ SDP. Will be swinging down to SDP to check out Sean's SEMA build and pick it up. Ordering the SCT and CTS today from Vivian.

Next up - ported and deleted intake manifold, coolant filter, and intake.

Cant wait to get this thing :rockon::fordoval:

Latest posts

Members online