7 Years in a Ford - New truck - Planning My Build

Rob D

Reaction score
Ok guys - picked up my truck Tuesday night. Before the storm hit up here in New England. Truck was filthy from shipping on an open hauler all the way across the country :cursing: - pulled into a do it yourself wash and hosed it down real quick at 10PM lol

image-2.jpg

Thanks to the storm - called out of work Wednesday and installed the Edge CTS and programmed the truck with Vivians looney

photo.jpg

Quick question on strategies - and I might make a new thread on this..

My trucks strategy was ancient:
VXCF0C8 TQCJ0C4

Now back in the day I remember there were a lot of posts saying to not let Ford reflash you to a new strategy bc some killed MPG/power etc. - but at the same time, if this strategy is TOO old I am sure there are some inherent issues there as well.

Can someone chime in on if this strategy should be updated? I live in New England cold weather characteristics is a must. Is the most recent Ford flash the best choice to go with...or should I go with a PHP tune instead which to my understanding takes the best of several flashes.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
Dedication to hose it down at 10PM at night when its in the teens outside lol

I posted in your other thread but just wanted to add a little piece here. With the PHP FICM tune if I remember right there is no inductive heating, or maybe that was from my strategy roll back. I can't remember. But my truck has started just fine, even in single digits this morning not plugged in. I'll check my strategy at lunch, but I have Innovative Xtreme race and PHP Hercules and no cold weather issues.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You need some gearhead tunes my man! reflash the truck to stock and read the strategy. Vivian likes that vxcf0 which isn't all too desirable.

Rob D

Reaction score
On a different topic - truck smoked heavy white smoke for a long time this AM in 12 degree weather. FICM voltage was fine. Returning to stock and will see if it does this tomorrow too. Idle was fine - no loss of power. Coolant and oil temps were in check. Not sure yet what it is.

Last edited:

Rob D

Reaction score
hahaha - so true. The funny part is I convinced myself I would take the turbo off to find the nut...got the filter off the intake before I realized how ***** stupid I was being.

Rob D

Reaction score
Exhaust is installed. Man the 5" MBRP dump exhaust is way louder than my 4" dual from Silverline was on my old truck my if memory serves me right. This thing sounds sweet. I need to do some more cutting to get it to fit just right and clear the tip from the spare tire. Will post pics when finished.

Reaction score
:doh: Note to self: do not fully remove down pipe V-clamp nut :fustrate:

Mine is forever in the abyss lol

we have all been there done that man lol

Exhaust is installed. Man the 5" MBRP dump exhaust is way louder than my 4" dual from Silverline was on my old truck my if memory serves me right. This thing sounds sweet. I need to do some more cutting to get it to fit just right and clear the tip from the spare tire. Will post pics when finished.

haha glad we could help man sorry i wasn't at the shop when u come down to grab it i was off racing, but can wait to see pics :thumbup:

Rob D

Reaction score
Well I have not had time to cut the exhaust yet in order to allow the 6" tip to clear the spare tire but figured I would post some pics up anyways. To be honest, just having the pipe with no tip is growing on me. Let me know your thoughts guys...I am considering leaving it as is. Looks like I forgot to pull off one of the rubber exhaust hanger mounts too.

image-3.jpg

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Rob D

Reaction score
The main reason I went with an axle dump system was for a clean look of the rear end of the truck not seeing huge exhaust pipe(s) sticking out. For some people that's their cup of tea - but it's not really for me. I feel like the tip would make the exhaust more noticeable rather than having it tucked away pretty nicely like it is now. Def. torn on what I want to do, having a tip does "finish" the exhaust...just like crown molding finishes off a wall, but I do not want it to draw attention. Also curious if it lowers the tone of the exhaust a little bit with the tip or not - I know its probably a small difference but the lower the rumble the better IMO

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I think the tip just looks a little more refined. So if someone does see it, it looks better. I'd get the shortest tip(12" ?) and put it on there.

Latest posts

Members online