03 f350 will not start

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
DORMAN Part # 904204
You should be able to get this part from any Advance, or autozone in your area. This is a direct factory replacement, and from here out just use the factory filters, and you should be golden. Hopefully this will fix your starting issues....

*Just did a quick search, and it's coming up at Advanced, Autozone, O'rielys so you should have no problem getting it. Comes up as a fuel cap, but they are the same cap.

Last edited:

mac2720

Reaction score
DORMAN Part # 904204
You should be able to get this part from any Advance, or autozone in your area. This is a direct factory replacement, and from here out just use the factory filters, and you should be golden. Hopefully this will fix your starting issues....

*Just did a quick search, and it's coming up at Advanced, Autozone, O'rielys so you should have no problem getting it. Comes up as a fuel cap, but they are the same cap.
So is this the oil filter cap or the fuel filter cap? I thought you were talking about changing the oil filter cap when I did the oil change but that part number is for a fuel filter cap.

Also, could this really be causing the starting problem and do you thing that it will fix it? I would be one happy guy if it did but I just wouldnt think that a filter cap would be causing it not to start when cold.

mac2720

Reaction score
Sorry just saw the end of your last post about it coming up as a fuel cap :doh:

They are quite expensive for just a filter cap so I would rather not buy one if its not going to do me any good but if you think it will help with the starting issue I definitely will. I guess the oil filter cap on my truck is not the correct one or something? I guess i'm just confused as to why I need to get this other cap. Thanks!

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Sorry just saw the end of your last post about it coming up as a fuel cap :doh:

They are quite expensive for just a filter cap so I would rather not buy one if its not going to do me any good but if you think it will help with the starting issue I definitely will. I guess the oil filter cap on my truck is not the correct one or something? I guess i'm just confused as to why I need to get this other cap. Thanks!
It should help quite a bit seeing as it helps hold the filter down over the drainvalve that's in the housing. Could also help in the oil/coolant temp split we saw when you were up here with thte truck because it will have all the oil going through thte cooler verses being able to bypass it. It will also make sure that the oil actually gets filtered. Check this out....

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13723

mac2720

Reaction score
It should help quite a bit seeing as it helps hold the filter down over the drainvalve that's in the housing. Could also help in the oil/coolant temp split we saw when you were up here with thte truck because it will have all the oil going through thte cooler verses being able to bypass it. It will also make sure that the oil actually gets filtered. Check this out....

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13723
Oh alright well that makes sense. Hopefully that will help the problem and maybe even fix it (fingers crossed). I called advance and it would take them 5 days just to get it here which doesnt seem right for such a small part. I wont be at home in 5 days so I might have to have them send it down to work.

mac2720

Reaction score
Well I found the cap in stock at an O'reilys about an hour away so I made the ride down there yesterday to pick it up. The new cap is definitely smaller than the one that was on my truck. So I woke up early this morning to put it on while it was still cool. Had to use a pipe wrench to get the old one off since I dont have a 36mm socket here. However, I got it off and the filter clicked securely into the new cap unlike the other one. Got everything put back on and took it for about a 20 minute drive just to get it warmed up. I'm gonna go back out in a few hours and see if it will start normally and not give me the problems that it has been. The first start with the new cap was still rough, as it finally stayed running on about the 3rd crank. So lets hope this next one it starts on the first crank :thumbsup:

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Should make a big difference in how she starts. If you think about it when you go out again give me a buzz, and i'll walk you through how to setup your tuner to read your temps to see if it makes a difference in them too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mac2720

Reaction score
Well guys looks like the oil cap has been causing my rough starts here in the last week. I never knew there were different oil caps for this thing. However, with the new cap on it, it has started up first or second crank every time yesterday. I let it sit numerous times for hours and never had a problem getting it started. I am beyond excited that this probably finally seems to be fixed.

I have to say Adam at Strokers Unlimited knows what he is talking about with these trucks. I could have spent thousands of dollars trying to get it to start right when it was an oil cap the whole time. I am very happy that I decided to make the ride out to his shop for him to check it out. A huge thanks to Adam! I will definitely keep in touch for future repairs and/or questions. I did figure out how to setup the tuner to read the temps but I have yet to check them going down the road. Thanks again! :thumbup:

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Well guys looks like the oil cap has been causing my rough starts here in the last week. I never knew there were different oil caps for this thing. However, with the new cap on it, it has started up first or second crank every time yesterday. I let it sit numerous times for hours and never had a problem getting it started. I am beyond excited that this probably finally seems to be fixed.

I have to say Adam at Strokers Unlimited knows what he is talking about with these trucks. I could have spent thousands of dollars trying to get it to start right when it was an oil cap the whole time. I am very happy that I decided to make the ride out to his shop for him to check it out. A huge thanks to Adam! I will definitely keep in touch for future repairs and/or questions. I did figure out how to setup the tuner to read the temps but I have yet to check them going down the road. Thanks again! :thumbup:
No problem Matt. Glad to hear that she's acting right now. Still concerned about the temp split so keep me updated on that. Thanks again for the kind words. We do what we can. :fordoval:

Atsah

Reaction score

Make sure you keep in touch with him.. There is lots to learn owning a 6.0.. Winter is right around the corner and unless everything is working perfectly, 6.0's have problems so it's great that you have a guy like Adam a phone call away.. Glad your truck is running better and good luck with it..:thumbup:

mac2720

Reaction score
Well on the way back to work the truck starting running rough. It didn't seem like it had any power at high speeds and struggled to make it up hills on the interstate. So I pulled over and checked everything. It wa throwing the P0603 code, cylinder #5 contribution code and a code for the turbocharger. So I cleared them, added a little oil from what looked to be a leak from the oil cap and tightened that up.

Took it back down the interstate and it was still running rough so I pulled back off into a gas station and the truck was idling rough as well. It sounded like it was knocking or something. Checked the codes and was only throwing the P0603 code. I then put a different tune on it to see if that would help. Then the truck would not start. After a few cranks I noticed the injectors weren't even cycling. Didn't have any tools, the truck was packed full of clothes and stuff, and had a four wheeler on the back. Therefore I had it towed an hour back home.

Once we got it off the tow truck and he left I decided to mess with it a little bit. It ended up starting first crank like nothing ever happened. It did seem like it was idling with a different tone though. I'm not sure if this was a hpop problem, ficm, icp, or what. However, I have reached the point where I believe I am gonna get rid of it. I've already spent over $4,000 on it since I've got it and I'm still having problem after problem. I can't afford to keep fixing it and having to worry whether or not it's gonna break down going down the road.

Atsah

Reaction score
Well on the way back to work the truck starting running rough. It didn't seem like it had any power at high speeds and struggled to make it up hills on the interstate. So I pulled over and checked everything. It wa throwing the P0603 code, cylinder #5 contribution code and a code for the turbocharger. So I cleared them, added a little oil from what looked to be a leak from the oil cap and tightened that up.

Took it back down the interstate and it was still running rough so I pulled back off into a gas station and the truck was idling rough as well. It sounded like it was knocking or something. Checked the codes and was only throwing the P0603 code. I then put a different tune on it to see if that would help. Then the truck would not start. After a few cranks I noticed the injectors weren't even cycling. Didn't have any tools, the truck was packed full of clothes and stuff, and had a four wheeler on the back. Therefore I had it towed an hour back home.

Once we got it off the tow truck and he left I decided to mess with it a little bit. It ended up starting first crank like nothing ever happened. It did seem like it was idling with a different tone though. I'm not sure if this was a hpop problem, ficm, icp, or what. However, I have reached the point where I believe I am gonna get rid of it. I've already spent over $4,000 on it since I've got it and I'm still having problem after problem. I can't afford to keep fixing it and having to worry whether or not it's gonna break down going down the road.

6.0's can be a nightmare that's for sure.. It's tough to sell a truck that isn't running right, it could be something simple.. Maybe give it to Adam and let him straighten it out and then sell it if that's what you need to do..

mac2720

Reaction score
Other

6.0's can be a nightmare that's for sure.. It's tough to sell a truck that isn't running right, it could be something simple.. Maybe give it to Adam and let him straighten it out and then sell it if that's what you need to do..
Yeah it needs to run right in order for me to sell it. But when its running right I don't want to get rid of it haha. It had been starting fine for a couple days and was running great for the past few weeks since I tuned it. I'm thinking and hoping it is something small. Maybe I read and cleared the codes too much or a bad sensor. It had been starting warm and cold with no problem until I stopped the second time to mess with the tune. And then all of the sudden the injectors wouldn't cycle at all when I turn the key for the whole 30 minutes I was waiting for the tow truck.

Then it started first crank when I got home. It's just got me so confused and irritated. I don't have the money to keep dumping in it if it continues to mess up. I guess I need Adam just to look at it and keep it for a few days to see what he can come up with. And then I can determine whether it's worth keeping or not.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Yeah it needs to run right in order for me to sell it. But when its running right I don't want to get rid of it haha. It had been starting fine for a couple days and was running great for the past few weeks since I tuned it. I'm thinking and hoping it is something small. Maybe I read and cleared the codes too much or a bad sensor. It had been starting warm and cold with no problem until I stopped the second time to mess with the tune. And then all of the sudden the injectors wouldn't cycle at all when I turn the key for the whole 30 minutes I was waiting for the tow truck.

Then it started first crank when I got home. It's just got me so confused and irritated. I don't have the money to keep dumping in it if it continues to mess up. I guess I need Adam just to look at it and keep it for a few days to see what he can come up with. And then I can determine whether it's worth keeping or not.
Let me know what you want to do either way Matt.

mac2720

Reaction score
Let me know what you want to do either way Matt.
I am coming home on Saturday with my buddy so I'm gonna see how the truck is running and I might try and take it to your shop and let you keep it for the week. I more or less just want you to see the problems it's having here and there over the course of the week. Maybe you can tell exactly what it is if you have it there for a while. I don't have the money to keep spending on it so I mainly just want someone to see look at it and check out everything and see if it's worth keeping. If a few small things need to be fixed then I can do that but I can't spend thousands of more dollars on it.

mac2720

Reaction score
The truck is up for sale now. I cant afford to keep dropping money in it and then being stuck on the side of the road. I will fix it and get it running before it sells but just wanted to throw it out there and case anybody was interested or knew somebody that was interested. I am gonna try to get rid of it and just get me a stock 7.3 diesel. If anybody is intersted please let me know as I am trying to get rid of it as quick as I can so that I can get something else.

I left the truck at home since I work on the road and didn't wanna have to drive it back down here and risk messing it up. I will be putting it in the shop as soon as I can but again if somebody wants it then I will put it in the shop asap. Thanks again!

Atsah

Reaction score
The truck is up for sale now. I cant afford to keep dropping money in it and then being stuck on the side of the road. I will fix it and get it running before it sells but just wanted to throw it out there and case anybody was interested or knew somebody that was interested. I am gonna try to get rid of it and just get me a stock 7.3 diesel. If anybody is intersted please let me know as I am trying to get rid of it as quick as I can so that I can get something else.

I left the truck at home since I work on the road and didn't wanna have to drive it back down here and risk messing it up. I will be putting it in the shop as soon as I can but again if somebody wants it then I will put it in the shop asap. Thanks again!

Might want to open a thread in the classifieds for trucks for sale.. Good luck.. The 6.0 can be a good truck but unfortunately the platform has some flaws and can be a PITA..

mac2720

Reaction score
Well the truck has been at Strokers Unlimited shop for the past week. Hopefully Adam will figure out whats wrong with it and it wont be something too pricey. I decided to let him take it for a week or 2 just to see whats going on with it and then I will decide whether its worth it to keep the truck anymore.

All of these problems ive had with it have just made me loose faith that it will ever run like it should. I am nervous everytime I drive it cuz I don't know if I am gonna be stuck on the side of the road. I haven't heard anything from Adam yet but lets hope I get a good word that the truck isn't in too bad of shape motor wise so that I will be able to keep it. Just wanted to inform everybody that helped me that the truck is in the hands of somebody that can diagnose the problem properly :thumbup:

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Just a little update for everyone. Found out Matt's truck had a bad hpop. Replaced that, and did a egr delete, and a new cooler to eliminate the 50° delta. But, that was to no avail seeing as the last shop that put the battery's, and glow plugs in used autolite plugs instead of ford plugs. Scorched num 1 to the point of only having 200 psi on a compression check. Working with the other shop to get him taken care of. Hopefully they man up......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online