03 f350 will not start

Atsah

Reaction score
Haha yeah that must be nice. Its alright though, work will keep me busy until it gets here. I just hope that it clears up these problems im having now before I go on vacation this weekend. If not im gonna have to figure out how to take this turbo out and clean it :mad:

While the truck has the stock tuning, take it out and WOT it 8-10 times... Hold it right to the iron for at least 5-6 seconds at a time.. It will unstick the viens in a 03 turbo.. It will also help to clean some of the soot from the EGR valve.. It's important to do this a few times a week.. Most 6.0's that work hard (towing heavy etc) every day will have fewer problems than trucks that sit, and are not used for there intended purpose..

Last edited:

TonyG

Reaction score
While the truck has the stock tuning, take it out and WOT it 8-10 times... Hold it right to the iron for at least 5-6 seconds at a time.. It will unstick the viens in a 03 turbo.. It will also help to clean some of the soot from the EGR valve.. It's important to do this a few times a week.. Most 6.0's that work hard (towing heavy etc) every day will have fewer problems than trucks that sit, and are not used for there intended purpose..

Much agree'd, WOT

mac2720

Reaction score
Really??? See i've never thought that would be good for the truck. I have always been the type to be more easy on it if it is running rough so that I don't mess anything up. Normally the smoke and smoke is on take off and when your just easing on the throttle but when you mash it, it doesnt blow black smoke anymore.

Also today I drove it and it cleared up after a while. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes then drove it about 10 minutes and the sputtering and smoke cleared up and started running perfectly fine after that. It did this same thing both on the way to the store and then on the way back after I cut it off while I was there.

I also noticed that it sounds like the head gasket is letting out pressure when you first take it down the road and let off the gas. It kinda sounds like a burping noise everytime you let off the throttle for about the first 5-6 minutes going down the road. That tends to completely clear up as when the smoke and sputtering does. I'm not sure if that is because the stock tune isn't recognizing the truck having a catalytic converter and muffler because it is straight piped or what.

I sure hope that this programmer will help out these problems. It should be arriving tomorrow and I plan to put just a street tune on it and ride it like that.

Atsah

Reaction score
Really??? See i've never thought that would be good for the truck. I have always been the type to be more easy on it if it is running rough so that I don't mess anything up. Normally the smoke and smoke is on take off and when your just easing on the throttle but when you mash it, it doesnt blow black smoke anymore.

Also today I drove it and it cleared up after a while. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes then drove it about 10 minutes and the sputtering and smoke cleared up and started running perfectly fine after that. It did this same thing both on the way to the store and then on the way back after I cut it off while I was there.

I also noticed that it sounds like the head gasket is letting out pressure when you first take it down the road and let off the gas. It kinda sounds like a burping noise everytime you let off the throttle for about the first 5-6 minutes going down the road. That tends to completely clear up as when the smoke and sputtering does. I'm not sure if that is because the stock tune isn't recognizing the truck having a catalytic converter and muffler because it is straight piped or what.

I sure hope that this programmer will help out these problems. It should be arriving tomorrow and I plan to put just a street tune on it and ride it like that.

I wouldn't tell you to do something if it was going to make things worse.. A 6.0 is a different animal than other platform and when you understand how an 03 6.0 works, you will understand why the information you get here is so important..

mac2720

Reaction score
Alright so I got the sct programmer in last week. Just put an economy tune on it for fuel mileage and it started running a LOT better. The smoking and sputtering is completely gone. The truck definitely has a lot more power and shifts better. However, it still has some starting problems. When I start it for the first time it takes a few cranks for it to stay running. The first crank it fires immediately but then cuts right back off everytime. About the third or fourth crank and a little throttle pressure, it will stay running by itself.

Also, today I drove it about 45 minutes away to a friends house. I stayed there for about 3 or 4 hours and when I went to leave it wouldn't start. Once again, the first crank it immediately fired but cut right back off. For about 30 minutes I tried cranking it and giving it some throttle and it wouldn't fire. A few times it would fire but wouldn't stay running. So I let it sit for about 10 minutes after I got pissed off and went back and after about the third crank and some throttle it stayed running.

The whole first 30 minutes I was cranking on it, it wasn't puffing out any smoke when it would fire. However, once I let it sit and tried to start it again, it would puff out a little black and white smoke on start up and would stop once it stayed running. The one thing I did notice was that the truck read 1/2 of fuel when I parked it on an uphill slant and it was reading over 3/4 when I tried to start it after a few hours. Not sure if that could cause a problem or what, but it just seemed weird to me.

I checked the codes on it and the only code it was throwing was P0603 which I'm not exactly sure what that does or if that could be the problem. Any help would be awesome cuz I really don't want to have to deal with this all the time. Thanks again!

mac2720

Reaction score
Also I would like to know where the fuel bowl is so if this happens again, I can see if it is actually getting fuel.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
P0603 is KAM (keep alive memory) error, and yes that very well could be your problem. Sounds like its a loose connection on the pcm, or a faulty connection. I got your message earlier Mac, and yes, if you're gonna be up this way by all means stop in, and let me look it over. From Louisa it's probably about an hour and a half ride, but pretty country. Give us a shout at the shop whenever, and we'll set something up.

mac2720

Reaction score
P0603 is KAM (keep alive memory) error, and yes that very well could be your problem. Sounds like its a loose connection on the pcm, or a faulty connection. I got your message earlier Mac, and yes, if you're gonna be up this way by all means stop in, and let me look it over. From Louisa it's probably about an hour and a half ride, but pretty country. Give us a shout at the shop whenever, and we'll set something up.

Ok I could come by today if that was cool with you. I found a number to call but got no answer. If you could just shoot me the address of where your shop is at and I will make a ride up there today. I found one address but wnna make sure its right before I ride out there. Thanks man!

mac2720

Reaction score
Ok so I got the exact same problem again this evening. I drove the truck around today and came back home around 4. I came back out to leave again and it won't start. It has sat for about 4 hours just like yesterday. The first crank it started up but shut right off. The next 2 or 3 cranks I did notice some smoke coming out of the exhaust and it would fire but shut off. Now there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust and it won't even try to fire up. I don't know if the ficm isn't even allowing the injectors to fire or what's going on. I need somebody that knows about this to help me because it's becoming a normal thing now. The truck still starts fine when warm and all. Need help please. I am beyond tired of this starting issue.

TonyG

Reaction score
Sounds like your beating yourself up down there bring that thing up to us (Marty's Diesel) and leave it we will get it straight.... We're in zip 21921

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Ok so I got the exact same problem again this evening. I drove the truck around today and came back home around 4. I came back out to leave again and it won't start. It has sat for about 4 hours just like yesterday. The first crank it started up but shut right off. The next 2 or 3 cranks I did notice some smoke coming out of the exhaust and it would fire but shut off. Now there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust and it won't even try to fire up. I don't know if the ficm isn't even allowing the injectors to fire or what's going on. I need somebody that knows about this to help me because it's becoming a normal thing now. The truck still starts fine when warm and all. Need help please. I am beyond tired of this starting issue.
Ficm checked out fine while it was here KOEO, cranking, and at 2k rpm's. When it does this Matt, what is the oil pressure gauge on the dash doing? Does it even register? I'm sorry this demon wouldn't rear it's head while it was at the shop this afternoon, but that's how these things sometimes go. Youi have my number now so lets get this thing figured out. See if you can get someone to follow you up, and let it sit for a while so I can track this little basterd down, and cut it's head off.

mac2720

Reaction score
The oil pressure gauge does not register at all when cranking. I got it to start after letting it sit for about 30 minutes earlier. However it just did it to me again at a friends house. The truck won't start and no smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm gonna let it sit for a while and then try it again.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
The oil pressure gauge does not register at all when cranking. I got it to start after letting it sit for about 30 minutes earlier. However it just did it to me again at a friends house. The truck won't start and no smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm gonna let it sit for a while and then try it again.
If it doesn't register at all while cranking on it(stay on the key not letting off), then you have a low pressure oil pump issue. Wether it be the check valve, the pump itself, the front cover, or any combo in unison. Something else I just thought about, I noticed the tall oil filter cap on yours. What oil filter did you use when you changed you oil a little bit ago?

mac2720

Reaction score
If it doesn't register at all while cranking on it(stay on the key not letting off), then you have a low pressure oil pump issue. Wether it be the check valve, the pump itself, the front cover, or any combo in unison. Something else I just thought about, I noticed the tall oil filter cap on yours. What oil filter did you use when you changed you oil a little bit ago?

I used a motor craft oil filter. And yeah it may be a low pressure oil problem. After putting another tune on it and letting it sit I finally got it to stay running on about the fourth crank. I am just beyond tired of having to do this.

Atsah

Reaction score

Both my 6.0's never showed oil pressure while cranking..

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
I used a motor craft oil filter. And yeah it may be a low pressure oil problem. After putting another tune on it and letting it sit I finally got it to stay running on about the fourth crank. I am just beyond tired of having to do this.
That is part of the problem. Those caps come with a one time use filter, and are designed to be thrown away when changed. Let me get you a part number for a replacement cap(other than going to ford). This in turn will create alot of issues so limit the use of the truck until you have the right cap on it.

Atsah

Reaction score
On a long crank like what he's going through it will if everything is up to snuff.I see it everytime i do a stud job, injector job, etc...Have to wait for it to refill everything,.

Oh okay.. Never had a crank long enough for it happen I guess..

mac2720

Reaction score
That is part of the problem. Those caps come with a one time use filter, and are designed to be thrown away when changed. Let me get you a part number for a replacement cap(other than going to ford). This in turn will create alot of issues so limit the use of the truck until you have the right cap on it.

Oh ok I never knew I had to change the cap out when I changed the filter. But I definitely wouldn't think that would be causing a problem as far as it not starting.

Atsah

Reaction score

WHS

Latest posts

Members online