08 f-250 Cummins swap

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
I have a Ford. I've had many Dodges. My 6.4 runs so much better with just a tune than any of the 15 dodges I've had, and I've had 12v, CR, stock, modded, singles, compounds, custom VNT, built autos, manual transmissions, single disk, dual disk clutches, etc. I've been there done that.

I can't imagine wanting to remove the 6.4 and put a Cummins in its place.

I've just seen it so many times... Guy builds a Fummins and either it's a cobbled together mess or he's forced to TRY to sell it for $45k because he's out of money.

So no, you're right. I don't understand it. I guess some people just enjoy setting money on fire. I've never been one of those people. No offense intended.

You are right, there are a TON of Cummins swaped trucks that are cobbled together, and they can get extremly bad! And I think Matt and i have both been on the losing side of that battle.

But what Matt is doing now, and what I plan/want to do are clean swaps and for very good reasions. He could throw another 6.0 into the truck he has, but would more than likely just be right back to where he is now some point down the road.

But I agree, swapping a cummins into a Ford for a lot of people is having the truck they want that the factories never built! Even though the 6.4 is a great engine, I feel more confident in working on a mechanical Cummins so i dont have to throw down TONS of $$$ to have anything worked on if I buy a 6.4.

So am I stupid for wanting an engine I can fix in my driveway in a truck that is far superior to anything that Dodge has rolled off their assembly line? To some, maybe, but to eash his own I guess......

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, I just think all the money spent could be put in an account and all the time could be spent making more money...

People spend years of their spare time and money building a truck that they'll never have to work on. :confused:

I spend my spare time enjoying life and making money and if something happens to my truck, I'll fix it or take some of that money I've saved and have it fixed and move on.

I get the whole "the journey is more than the destination" thing. I've built vehicles from the ground up... I guess I'm just at a point where I'd rather build a cool hot rod vs. a truck that doesn't necessarily do anything better than something I can just buy for a lot less money.

Wayne

Reaction score
I can understand and appreciate you guys who buy gassers or ones with defective 6.0's or whatever converting the trucks if done nicely; it's just not my cup of tea. It's your money, so do what you want with it. Some of the fummins trucks are of the nicest I've seen FWIW. I was merely pointing out the logic I see with a guy who pulls a perfectly good 6.4 or properly built 6.0 in favor of any cummins. Carry on...

Matt_P

Reaction score
I have a Ford. I've had many Dodges. My 6.4 runs so much better with just a tune than any of the 15 dodges I've had, and I've had 12v, CR, stock, modded, singles, compounds, custom VNT, built autos, manual transmissions, single disk, dual disk clutches, etc. I've been there done that.

I can't imagine wanting to remove the 6.4 and put a Cummins in its place.

I've just seen it so many times... Guy builds a Fummins and either it's a cobbled together mess or he's forced to TRY to sell it for $45k because he's out of money.

So no, you're right. I don't understand it. I guess some people just enjoy setting money on fire. I've never been one of those people. No offense intended.

I can see where your coming from, and I agree. I would never have pulled the 6.4 out of my old truck to put a cummins in, I miss that truck and wish I could have been able to build it up. Now my current truck though was a different story. Sure my truck has been down for a LONG time and its been a lot more work than I planned, main reason for that though... Becuase I did not want it to be a cobbled together mess. Ive owned a fummins that was half assed and I sold it, I swore I would not half ass the swap I did myself and thats what I did my best to do. Sure I got it through the first test drive tonight and it needs some more tweaking but that comes with the territory. I enjoy working on truck a lot, I definitely get frustrated at times but thatll happen. I get to spend time with my friends with common interests while working on trucks and Ive learned a ton from doing this swap. So as far as saying its a waste of time to spend all that time and money slaving on your truck for a swap, I disagree in that respect. Wouldnt trade it for anything.

I get to spend time with friends or just work by myself, of course its not perfect but its a hobby and soon to be a profession and I enjoy it. I quit civil engineering degrees to pursue this becuase I enjoy it more. I disagree completely with setting money on fire. You say that I could have spent the money to buy a new truck, I disagree completely. I paid 16k for my king ranch and have about 12k in my swap. I could have cobbled it together for less but spent more to do it right and I put money into performance, built trans etc. I fail to see where I could have spent 28k for a new king ranch truck. I got the truck I wanted, rust free in great shape from texas, interior looks like new. The 6.0 had almost 200k when I pulled it out, it got to the point when I had the cab off twice in a month and failed to see justifying spending thousands more dollars on it so I went this route. It was a king ranch the exact truck I wanted in great shape and I built a new engine and trans for the truck so I had almost a new truck how I wanted for 28k. In my mind that beats the hell out of spending the money and payment on a new truck, but thats how I see it. I had an 08 6.4 with 32k on it 2 years ago, it spent months in the dealership with over 10k in warranty work done to it. I still loved the truck but it had its share of issues too. Im just trying to show my justification for why I went the route I did.

I can understand and appreciate you guys who buy gassers or ones with defective 6.0's or whatever converting the trucks if done nicely; it's just not my cup of tea. It's your money, so do what you want with it. Some of the fummins trucks are of the nicest I've seen FWIW. I was merely pointing out the logic I see with a guy who pulls a perfectly good 6.4 or properly built 6.0 in favor of any cummins. Carry on...

I understand what your saying here completely, like I said above I wouldnt pull a good 6.4 out in favor of a cummins for any reason. I loved my 6.0 for the first 6 months I owned it but after all the money I put into it I lost faith in it and went the route I did.

Deputydog

Reaction score
LOL!

I've never owned a 6.4, but I would love to and its the next truck on my list.

I swapped out my 7.3 and stuck a '04 5.9 CR in it. I've never had 1 single issue since installing it in jan '10. I sold off all my 7.3 goodies including the motor and it paid for 100% of my swap.

Doing a swap isnt for everyone, I did it for the challenge and I would love to do another one.

photo-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.