13-16 Spartan tuning

ccmac

Reaction score
The stock file is very important "if" you ever need to visit the dealer. They plug in their diagnostic stuff, find the file you have foes not match what Ford has on file for a stock code. Their computer goes into full on lock out/ down mode. And if the tech is not paying to close attention it will send the info strait to Ford. Then all bets are off. Even if you went in for a simple oil change and happen to plug in.....

Stock file is real important

It's not that big of a deal, just mainly an inconvenience, but my pickup has a rebuilt title, so I could care less of what the dealer thinks. Also, my local dealer is very small, 50 miles from anywhere, in a town of less than 2000 people and only has one full time ford certified mechanic lol he knows these pickups very well as their primary customers are farmers and ranchers and diesel pickups are their only real inventory most of the time.

Benefits of living in rural America...

That being said the wAy I take it is the the way the Spartan writes the tune into the pcm it has to have a factory tune to work properly?
Was really just hoping that it would save the HS file as stock if I ever sold the pickup and wanted to keep the Spartan I could just set it back to that, but hey you can't have it all lol

Last edited:

350Blackcloud

Reaction score
Well I hadn't planned on tuning my 2015....but after reading all this i've changed my mind.

I'm missing my Spartan tuned 6.4....i ran the 275 tune for about 40k with no issues.
Loved the power.

My new 2015 is a dog by comparison....this should otta sort that problem out!!
Can't wait....great work guys!!

You nailed my scenario! Loved my Spartanized 6.4. I had over 180K with the 275. Throttle response is miserable on my new '15. Also had 2 "jackhammer" regens. If Matt gets this right, I'm in!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
One of my buddies should be purchasing a Spartan for his 15 when it gets released.

Hopefully be one of the first to get a Spartan for a 15 down here LOL.

Can't wait to see what the 15's can do tuned and deleted.

let me know buddy !

c63 AMG

Reaction score
Will you still require the vehicle VIN for a tune? Would really like to get away from that it's the only reason I'm considering other options.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Will you still require the vehicle VIN for a tune? Would really like to get away from that it's the only reason I'm considering other options.

We only require a VIN for registration purposes. I'm not sure why that would stop you from purchasing? We're always appreciative of input.

Awesome to hear the exhaust brake is going to be working. But is it working as well as factory or better? Button also?

I'll let Matt explain this more.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
*Shift on the fly update

Wanted to give everyone an update concerning SOTF options, since Jeff announced our pre-order release today (visit the threa in our forum, http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65585)

I have our SOFT product working on my truck currently (a 2015), and carrying out the first layer of testing. As I mentioned before, I can't guarantee it will be done for our September release, but I'm pressing as hard as I can to get it finished.

Biggest hold-up right now is getting our switch and wiring straight. For numerous technical reasons, I've decided to go with an actual hardware switch rather than changing power level on-screen. This ensures the customer isn't at the mercy of a device failure, and also doesn't require the tuner to be plugged in at all times to function.

Installation will be simple- install our SOTF tune file, plug the cable into the correct connector(s) under the hood, and route to the dash.

I haven't made a final decision on a switch, but the candidates I have all have a very clean, OEM appearance, and I have a couple of ideas to try as far as mounting once the switches show up later this week that I think you guys will be very pleased with.

This design as a package will make a clean, flexible, and most importantly, robust setup that I think all of our customers will be happy with. And best of all, it looks like end-user cost for the hardware will be well under 100 dollars.

As far as power levels, the switch I'm currently looking at will be 3 positions. There really isn't a limit to what we can do in the ECM as far as mapping levels (only limited to 10 currently), however as far as quality switches that actually have an OEM look, the best we have found is a 3 position. We could likely build a 5 position or more for someone who required it.

Any input is welcome.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
As far as exhaust brakes are concerned-

Yes, it does work in our tuning. Albeit, I will say as a disclaimer it doens't work *as* well as factory, simply because of a drop in backpressure across the entire system with components deleted. Calibration for EGR delete also affects this, as has already been mentioned, but I do have a work-around for that.

Through other methods, we can increase the functionality of it far beyond stock, although I do have some things to address with that from a drivability standpoint currently. That testing is on my immediate agenda.

jwanck11

Reaction score
As far as power levels, the switch I'm currently looking at will be 3 positions. There really isn't a limit to what we can do in the ECM as far as mapping levels (only limited to 10 currently), however as far as quality switches that actually have an OEM look, the best we have found is a 3 position. We could likely build a 5 position or more for someone who required it.

Any input is welcome.

Hmmm. From all I've read, it seems folks generally:

1. Tow
2. Want a slightly-better-performing-than-stock truck: crisper shifts without flare, significantly reduced lag, better mpg, minimal to no smoke DD
3. Performance enthusiast: quick shifts, moderate to significant performance bump, light to moderate smoke, more pronounced tip-in effect, torque beast that can be DD. This tune will hold it's own and will dominate a controlling percentage of traffic
4. Top performance that is safe.

Last edited:

theplumber

Reaction score
Is the shift on the fly whit DPF on will have 3 positions or only 2 ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

theplumber

Reaction score
And the Ngauge are to fit in air vent trap ? Just for make sure of my choice?

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
And the Ngauge are to fit in air vent trap ? Just for make sure of my choice?

There are some other mounting options, but foam tape around the outside, installed into the gutted air vent is a clean option.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Is the shift on the fly whit DPF on will have 3 positions or only 2 ?

I haven't tested it for DPF-on tunes. There are other calibration roadblocks that could prevent that from working well. Unknown at this point.

Reaction score
*Shift on the fly update

Wanted to give everyone an update concerning SOTF options, since Jeff announced our pre-order release today (visit the threa in our forum, http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65585)

I have our SOFT product working on my truck currently (a 2015), and carrying out the first layer of testing. As I mentioned before, I can't guarantee it will be done for our September release, but I'm pressing as hard as I can to get it finished.

Biggest hold-up right now is getting our switch and wiring straight. For numerous technical reasons, I've decided to go with an actual hardware switch rather than changing power level on-screen. This ensures the customer isn't at the mercy of a device failure, and also doesn't require the tuner to be plugged in at all times to function.

Installation will be simple- install our SOTF tune file, plug the cable into the correct connector(s) under the hood, and route to the dash.

I haven't made a final decision on a switch, but the candidates I have all have a very clean, OEM appearance, and I have a couple of ideas to try as far as mounting once the switches show up later this week that I think you guys will be very pleased with.

This design as a package will make a clean, flexible, and most importantly, robust setup that I think all of our customers will be happy with. And best of all, it looks like end-user cost for the hardware will be well under 100 dollars.

Any input is welcome.

EFILive type switching, I like it!

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
EFILive type switching, I like it!

Similar in implementation, identical in mounting type.

I feel that from an engineering perspective, doing it on-screen invites too many problems in general. Not to mention, not everyone wants a monitor mounted all the time, for a lot of reasons.

From a calibration standpoint, the method we are using internally to the ECM allows more flexibility than changing RAM values to alter fueling.

When you flip the switch on our device, torque calculations, fueling, timing, turbocharger parameters and everything else relevant will stay synchronized. No glitchyness, no weird drivability concerns, etc.

theplumber

Reaction score
And this method will have defueling ?

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
And this method will have defueling ?

Yes, I have a baseline established that will be safe for all power levels.

If you wanted a custom file that didn't, we can do that. As mentioned earlier, this SOTF method will work with anything custom you'd like.

theplumber

Reaction score
No reason to have custom tune if your tune are good .

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
No reason to have custom tune if your tune are good .

Custom tuning will be geared more toward aftermarket applications (more fuel, air, etc.). Obviously there are going to be people who want more out of a stock truck too, but when we say custom we're suggesting the builds that need it.

Latest posts

Members online